Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 313

Author Topic: Order of the Stick  (Read 561160 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Order of the Stick
« Reply #2505 on: October 26, 2017, 09:17:36 pm »

Doesn't he have that trinket he bought in Gnomeville that is supposed to protect against being dominated?
Did he...?  He tried to buy one of Protection From Evil, and it burned him (a houserule)...  But I can't remember what happened, didn't he get a "faulty" one?  Which might work like you're saying?

The weird but very specific thing against Protection From Alignment spells is that they block *all* possession...:
Quote from: [url=http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/protectionFromEvil.htm
SRD[/url]]Second, the barrier blocks any attempt to possess the warded creature (by a magic jar attack, for example) or to exercise mental control over the creature (including enchantment (charm) effects and enchantment (compulsion) effects that grant the caster ongoing control over the subject, such as dominate person). The protection does not prevent such effects from targeting the protected creature, but it suppresses the effect for the duration of the protection from evil effect. If the protection from evil effect ends before the effect granting mental control does, the would-be controller would then be able to mentally command the controlled creature. Likewise, the barrier keeps out a possessing life force but does not expel one if it is in place before the spell is cast. This second effect works regardless of alignment.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 09:19:40 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2506 on: October 26, 2017, 09:19:23 pm »

Hmm. Does the wording of that imply that the vampire can raise someone they killed by ANY method of draining Con? There's no specific reference to the bite attack.

You really must not be familiar with 3.5 D&D. That sort of shoddy wording is endemic in the system, which is where we get the idea of healing somebody by drowning them.

@Rolan
He did buy the Protection From Evil clasp. He got a discount on it by claiming that it was faulty (to dodge questions about his alignment).
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2507 on: October 27, 2017, 04:50:26 am »

which is where we get the idea of healing somebody by drowning them.

Is that the part because the first round they are drowning their HP is set to 0(unconscious), without any mention of what happens if they were already dying(<0)?

Maybe it's a baptism of sorts.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #2508 on: October 27, 2017, 06:09:38 am »

The Abrahamic God sees your game!
He is displeased with a beloved character's imminent death!
Baptise to save!
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2509 on: October 27, 2017, 10:00:30 am »

If we're going by some sort of cinematic battle rules, then sure this could end like some epic mini battle and kill a lot of "low level" vampires.
If we're going by any kind of rules such as probability and rolling d20s and stuff, there's no way to just win this by fair combat... even if everyone's AC was thru the roof and a roll of 16 on the die would be needed to hit any of them, that still means 5 of every 20 attacks will hit, and they drain levels which make you fight worse which will just keep making you easier to hit/kill.

At-will saving throws have the same problem, except they're probably more save or suck than even being level drained (although Charms would only make you friendly towards ONE specific vampire, and let you keep hitting all the others, but then he just needs to ask you to let him hug you)

Nah, there needs to be some deus ex machina that saves them, or more clever use of AoA spells or something, maybe escape by burrowing thru the floor. Super-Duper-Daylight and stuff like that, which I'm not sure they have.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2510 on: October 27, 2017, 10:05:47 am »

Don't worry, their high-level cleric certainly has----wait a minute...
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2511 on: October 27, 2017, 10:06:23 am »

A thought just occured to me, can they move the box? As in push it from within?

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2512 on: October 27, 2017, 10:25:43 am »

Can't move a force cage at all, tho I'm sure it would move if it was in a self-contained vehicle (like a moving ship).

Even if you could, it's enclosed on all 6 sides so you're also standing on its floor.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2513 on: October 27, 2017, 10:27:32 am »

Delayed-activation spells, anyone?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2514 on: October 27, 2017, 10:53:23 am »

If we're going by some sort of cinematic battle rules, then sure this could end like some epic mini battle and kill a lot of "low level" vampires.
If we're going by any kind of rules such as probability and rolling d20s and stuff, there's no way to just win this by fair combat... even if everyone's AC was thru the roof and a roll of 16 on the die would be needed to hit any of them, that still means 5 of every 20 attacks will hit, and they drain levels which make you fight worse which will just keep making you easier to hit/kill.

21 ac isn't though the roof for a level 16 character, especially a fighter.

But the bigger issue here is the vampires need time for this to be true. Sure, maybe if Roy stood in the middle of them killing them one by one as they made 8 attacks per round on him they'd manage to get a good number of hits in. But the vamps are in a narrow corridor that like like they can get maybe 3-4 in range on either side per round. That's 1-2 vamp attacks per hero. And V can kill somewhere between all and most the vampires on his next turn, roy can probably kill a very good number as well. The vampires simply don't have time to nicely line up their statistics against the heroes, eek in a small percentage, and win over a long period of time.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2515 on: October 27, 2017, 11:11:10 am »

The corridor's wide enough that the force cage isn't even blocking it, though.  The vampires have the force cage surrounded, surrounding the party will be even easier once the cage is gone.

Roy could maybe survive this, yeah, since he's a melee fighter with an anti-undead weapon.  Everyone else is at a heavy disadvantage - even the wizard is surrounded by melee threats, and can't even begin casting for a round.  Which is plenty of time for the vampires to grapple and/or drain *even more* levels, basically neutralizing V.

Haley, Elan, and the NPC are just SOL.  I mean, they're currently all keeping their eyes closed to avoid mind-control :P
I'm still betting on Plane Shift, heh.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2516 on: October 27, 2017, 11:20:49 am »

Yeah, it looks like you're right, the hallway is a little bit bigger then I was giving it credit for, not that it matters, they can still just stand up against the wall and lower the number of vamps that can get to them to 9 total. Which is perfectly manageable. no wait, they are using the 10 foot cube version. Only six vampires should be able to attack them per round.

V can just float over about 5 feet to be in the middle of everyone, and thus be out of danger. Elan should be fine against the mind control. Haley is a bit dicier, but there's plenty of magic items that would help you'd expect a level 16 rogue to have.

Outside of plot needs (which I admit could totally be a thing). They just aren't threatened by a pack of enemies with cr 1/4 their level.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 11:42:16 am by Criptfeind »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2517 on: October 27, 2017, 11:31:45 am »

They seem pretty concerned for facing a pack of enemies with a challenge rating not even 1/4th their player level that shouldn't threaten them otherwise.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2518 on: October 27, 2017, 11:38:17 am »

Energy drain is dangerous no matter what the level, and there's a lot of them.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2519 on: October 27, 2017, 11:43:00 am »

Maybe they do need some sort of deus ex machina, it's definetly setting up the stage for something.
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 313