Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 313

Author Topic: Order of the Stick  (Read 561162 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Order of the Stick
« Reply #2535 on: October 27, 2017, 06:33:09 pm »

Thanks for doing that math!  Tiny nitpick, when it says the save DC is Charisma-based, it means that the vampire's charisma modifier increases the saving throw.  The 14 DC is for the example vampire spawn, and includes the spawn's +2 CHA mod.
The character rolling to save still adds their WIS mod, since it's a will save.

I almost erroneously nitpicked the damage reduction, but you're correct.  It's just a little weird:  Full vampires have 10 DR silver AND magic, which means the weapon must be both silver and magic.  Vampire spawn have weaker DR which is overcome by mundane silver.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: October 27, 2017, 06:41:21 pm »

Note that it's a Charisma-based save, so Elan and Haley should be good to resist

This means it's based off the vampires Charisma, it doesn't interact with the targets charisma (well, unless they have something like the paladin ability that adds your charisma to your saves) (Ninjaed by Rolan)

As I said before, winning this encounter will likely come from Roy's Great Cleave feat.

I disagree. Roy can contribute and very well, but winning the encounter comes from surviving a single round, followed by V killing them all with some spell.

I also think you're probably underselling various sundry magical buffs and such a level 16 fighter is likely to have, although we don't have complete information on that except he has a belt of giants strength of unspecified bonus so sorta fair enough. Although I bet the green fire is some sorta bane of undead, which is likely to add +to hit as well as plus damage.

DAPARROT

• Bay Watcher
  • More parrots
    • View Profile
« Reply #2537 on: October 27, 2017, 07:15:26 pm »

Spoiler: big quote (click to show/hide)
I'm not sure how you're getting those hit chances, in both cases it would be either 95%(natural 1 on the die=auto miss with RAW) or 100%(if you ignore the natural 1=miss rule). other than that, thanks for doing the math on this.
I should probably introduce the actual plot soon
7/11 guy, bringer of the apocabeepse. Uplifter of threads. Herald of the hive.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: October 27, 2017, 09:19:45 pm »

The unmodified hit chance for Roy to hit a vampire spawn based on the presumed stats is 55% because Roy needs to roll a minimum of 9. Roy's total attack bonus, +24 minus the SRD-listed natural AC of vampire spawn(15AC) is 9. Since you always deal with 1/20ths(because you're using a 20-sided die), every increment is 5%. Since there are 11 possible rolls(20-9) that result in a success, the success chance is 55%, and every point of increase to Roy's attack roll bonus is another 5%. Inspire Courage adds +3, so that's +15% added(55+15=70).
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: October 27, 2017, 09:23:07 pm »

I think if I roll a 2, and then add 24, the result will still be higher than 15. You should be subtracting the attack bonus from the AC, not the other way around, right?

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2540 on: October 27, 2017, 09:38:10 pm »

The unmodified hit chance for Roy to hit a vampire spawn based on the presumed stats is 55% because Roy needs to roll a minimum of 9. Roy's total attack bonus, +24 minus the SRD-listed natural AC of vampire spawn(15AC) is 9. Since you always deal with 1/20ths(because you're using a 20-sided die), every increment is 5%. Since there are 11 possible rolls(20-9) that result in a success, the success chance is 55%, and every point of increase to Roy's attack roll bonus is another 5%. Inspire Courage adds +3, so that's +15% added(55+15=70).

what? Since when do you have to roll higher than (your attack bonus - target AC)?!
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2541 on: October 27, 2017, 10:36:04 pm »

This is wrong. D&D 3.5 is a very simple system. If 1d20+Bonus > AC, the target hits. By your reckoning, Roy rolls 1d20+24 to hit.

If Roy has +24 to hit, and the spawn have 15 AC, then he would hit on a -9 or higher. If your numbers are accurate (Roy's to-hit seems a bit low, since we know he has a +5 weapon and probably has a BAB of around 16), he would only ever miss on a natural 1. This gives him a 95% chance to hit, which does not go down unless you give the vampire spawn +11 in stackable AC bonuses.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 10:37:36 pm by Lord Shonus »
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: October 27, 2017, 11:21:25 pm »

Eh, a fighter with a two-handed weapon gets most of their damage from power attacks, so his accuracy is probably a fair bit less then what it could be.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: October 28, 2017, 04:33:54 am »

Huh. Damn. I guess I was subtracting the wrong side :-[. Been too long since I did basic math...

The point still stands though, that Roy is quite capable of wrecking any one of those vampire spawn in one hit, which because of his feats means he can wreck most of the whole group in one hit.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: October 28, 2017, 06:45:20 am »

I was reading up on V's spells and found out he could buff the party with mass Bull's strength and Bear's endurance. Alternatively they could hold vampires at bay if they have enough holy symbols and just walk away. Or, if the caster can choose what the stinking cloud stinks like, V could cast stinking cloud (garlic) and then dismiss the forcecage. Then they just walk through, as the vampires can not enter area with garlic odor. Of course, this would nauseate the party.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2545 on: October 28, 2017, 09:11:41 am »

Also I'm pretty sure Lord Murderkitten can take any of them at any time.

Also, theory about ending: Kitty takes on Eldritch Evil Yarn Ball and wins the day.
Love, scriver~

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #2546 on: October 30, 2017, 02:31:21 pm »

Wait a second... Isn't the Snarl made of the tangled thread of the universe?
Lord Murderkitten for the win!
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2547 on: October 30, 2017, 04:07:49 pm »

Theory: The Snarl is really just a doily.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #2548 on: October 30, 2017, 04:23:32 pm »

Belkar said that Haley's aphasia was "good new for fans of cryptograms." Is he just noting that her words are incomprehensible, or...has anyone tried running them through frequency analysis yet?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: October 30, 2017, 04:35:43 pm »

They've all been translated. Here's one rendition, which is probably easier than the forum threads on the subject (Rich does NOT like people editing his art, so those are just a "In panel 1 she says this, in panel 2 she says this" format).
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 313