Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14

Author Topic: AREA GUNIN: Idea Dump, Things I Like  (Read 15868 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
AREA GUNIN: Idea Dump, Things I Like
« on: August 06, 2013, 03:04:31 am »

Basically this is my journal. Ideas will go in the second post. I'll just write stuff I think of from time to time. I'm totally open to criticism and recommendations.

I also put pictures and other things I like in here, so I don't forget about them. I'm quite good at forgetting things so I like having places to write them all down.

Spoiler: Batou (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Schurer (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: VOTOMS Pilot (click to show/hide)

MoO2 Info Collate
Code: (Pollution/Morale Formula) [Select]
First, the easy one: Morale. Each farmer, worker, and scientist has a percentage multiplier to its output. This multiplier is 100%, plus your morale, plus the gravity adjustment. So if you have +20 morale, but it's a high-gravity planet, the multiplier is 100% + 20% (morale) - 50% (gravity) = 70%. All of that planet's farmers, workers, and scientists will be reduced to 70% of their normal output.

Some government types adjust the percentage for specific sectors. For instance, if you're a Democracy, you get +50% to research. So your farmers and workers will still be at 70%, but your scientists will be at 120%.

Now, the complicated one: Pollution. If you have too much industry on a planet, you have to put stringent environmental regs in place so your populace doesn't choke to death in its own toxic waste. This reduces efficiency and acts as a flat penalty to industrial output. If you've got 8 points of pollution on a planet, that means you're getting 8 points knocked off your industrial output. Simple enough so far.

Where it gets tricky is the formula for calculating that pollution penalty. Several factors go into this. The first thing is your "polluting output." This is the part of your industrial output that generates pollution.

To figure your polluting output, first add up the total output of your workers. This is the base output for the planet (1 for an Ultra Poor, 2 for Poor, 3 for Abundant, 5 for Rich, 8 for Ultra Rich), plus any modifiers from buildings (+1 for Automated Factory, +2 for Robo Miner Planet, etc.), plus your racial industry mod, times the number of workers, times the workers' percentage multiplier for morale, gravity, and government. It does not include the bonus from a Recyclotron, nor does it include the "fixed" output of any building. So if you have a Deep Core Mine, the +3 per worker counts toward pollution, but the base +15 for the building doesn't count. The one exception to this rule is the Robotic Factory, which does count toward polluting output.

Next, if you have a Pollution Processor, divide your polluting output by 2. If you have an Atmospheric Renewer, divide it by 4. If you have both, divide it by 8.

Then subtract the planet's absorption capacity from the polluting output. Bigger planets can soak up more pollution, so the absorption capacity is 2 per size category: Tiny = 2, Small = 4, Medium = 6, Large = 8, Huge = 10. If you have Nano Disassemblers, absorption capacity is doubled.

Finally, take the result (polluting output minus absorption capacity) and divide by 2. Round fractions up. This is your pollution penalty.

One final wrinkle: Tolerant races and androids are immune to pollution penalties. If you have a mix of Tolerant and non-Tolerant races on a planet, the final pollution penalty is reduced in proportion to the Tolerant percentage of the population; so if 25% of the population is Tolerant, the pollution penalty is cut to 75% of normal. Again, round fractions up.

Code: [Select]
To make it a bit clearer: Let's suppose you have a Medium-sized, Abundant planet with 8 workers. The workers have no racial industry mod, but the government is a Dictatorship and there is no Marine Barracks, so you've got -20% morale. Buildings are an Automated Factory, a Robo Miner Plant, and a Pollution Processor.

Each worker's base output is 3 (for an Abundant planet) + 1 (Automated Factory) + 2 (Robo Miner Plant) = 6. Since you have four of them, that's a total of 48. However, the -20% morale penalty reduces this to 38.4. That's the polluting output. Since you have a Pollution Processor, it's cut in half, to 19.2. Next, subtract the planet's absorption capacity, which is 6 (for a Medium planet). This yields 13.2. Cut that in half, to 6.6, and round up to 7. That's your pollution penalty.

If two of the workers (25%) were Tolerant, the penalty would be reduced to 75% of normal. 75% of 7 is 5.25, which rounds up to 6.
Total output of your workers=base output for the planet (1 for an Ultra Poor, 2 for Poor, 3 for Abundant, 5 for Rich, 8 for Ultra Rich), plus modifiers from buildings, plus your racial industry mod, times the number of workers, times the workers' percentage multiplier for morale, gravity, and government.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 03:56:13 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: GUNIN's Personal Game Idea Repository
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 03:04:55 am »

The Things! They Have Code Names!

Armoured Used by Kashyyk
Players start with a squad of four soldiers, up to a maximum of 36 during any given mission. The soldiers all have codenames and basic stats, as well as one ARMOUR and two WEAPONS. Player squads are pitted against NPC enemies in missions ranked for difficulty (E thru S). Harder missions have better rewards and tougher soldiers and vehicles. To get more soldiers you need to capture them from the enemy.

In addition to the soldiers, you can acquire vehicles as well, which you must capture from the enemy. Up to four ground vehicles and two helicopters in a squad. Support vehicles (trucks, planes, artillery) may or may not have a limit.
Fuck that limits are stupid.

Casualties accrued during ranked missions are permanent. Those soldiers are always dead, and those vehicles are destroyed beyond repair when their health runs out.

Player squads can also challenge one another. Terms of the battle are worked out in advance. Whether or not the battle damage is permanent is up to them. You can wager units or items.

Players can also freely trade with one another. Terms of the trade are worked out independently.

Tide
Tribals are in the middle of an infinite expanse of shallow water (usually knee height). Each one has a weapon or a tool. The objective is to reach the end of the ocean. Food is not really important, but trying to see what kind of fish you can catch and eat is always fun. Sea monsters will be abundant. Whirlpools leading to bottomless holes, living water, talking birds, magic fish that give you powers when you eat them will all be present. Lots of just generally neat stuff.

Moor
You're all slaves of various origins living on the coast of some imperial nation. You drag metal ships into the docks and unload cargo using extremely unsafe equipment. Objective is to not to be horribly mangled whilst moving said ships and operating the aforementioned deadly machinery until you can achieve your parole, be pardoned, or escape. If you don't eat your bread ration each day, you'll become sick. If you miss it again, which is very likely when your ability to meet your quota for the day is impaired by being ill, you starve. You can steal or barter for bread from other players with various other items, like shivs or narcotics. You also need to watch your step around more entitled people, as even the slightest slip can mean a worse sentence or execution.

Armoured 2.0?
Suggestion game + player game? Similar to the Design Bureau games. Players are squaddies in a small elite force. Everyone else is part of the research team that designs their weaponry. Anyone can vote. Take all the mission and soldier concepts from Armour, and shove it in there. Add in some monster hunting with the potential to capture and field said monsters makes for one insane game. For the monsters themselves I'd draw a lot from the Monster Hunter games.

Tank Rancher 2000
Living tanks! They laugh, they cry, they run people over when they have a tantrum!
ACC111 Accounting Principles [DONE]
CIS105 Survey of Computer Info Systems [DONE]
CIS224 Project Mgmt MS Project for Windows [DONE]
CIS126DL Linux
CIS150AB Object-Oriented Programming Fundamentals [DONE]           
CIS166AA Introduction to JavaScripting OR
CIS190 Introduction to Local Area Networks
CIS225AB OO Analysis and Design
CIS276DA My SQL Database [DONE]
GBS233 Business Communication

2:
CIS151 Computer Game Development - Level I [DONE]
CIS162AB C++: Level I
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 11:50:21 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 03:13:03 am »

PTW. Can we give you ideas?
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 03:16:43 am »

PTW. Can we give you ideas?
Sure. I'm open to criticism and recommendations, but I reserve the right to ignore them!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 04:10:43 am »

Three ideas jotted down under the titles Armoured, Tide, and Moor. Neat! :D

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 04:45:42 am »

I like Tide. Seems like an awesome arena RtD. All the possible shenanigans!
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 06:46:23 am »

Why don't you just use this thread?
That said, I like those, but I'll see what else you come up with.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 02:17:57 pm »

Why don't you just use this thread?
That said, I like those, but I'll see what else you come up with.
This is a place for me to store my ideas, not pitch them. :P

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 04:19:08 am »

Had some weird ideas today. The only one I wrote down is up there now.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 04:23:46 am »

I like the monster hunting part.
Dying of laughter?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 04:26:17 am »

I like the monster hunting part.
Running down velocipreys with a BMP is my dream.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 05:43:55 am »

Bleh.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 02:36:15 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2014, 08:24:01 pm »

Dumping this here to work on it. The Aquanaut stuff at the bottom is related nonsense for when I playtest it.

Quote from: Dice Pool System
Roll versus an obstacle. Successes are even, failures are odd.

Behavior Modifiers
Carefully - +1 die, takes longer
Quickly - faster, worse consequences in case of failure

Experience 14 experience points; 10 XP cap; each point = one die
Str
Dex
Int
Con
Will

Aquanaut
Mako
wears 3D water jet propulsion suit for max mobility; +2 DEX
Jet Harpoon

Beluga
super-heavy armored dude +1 CON, +1 STR, -1 DEX; can't go far from the ocean floor
Hydro Cannon

Cuttle
turn invisible for 1 combat round, 2 round recharge; +2 to stealth, +1 to perception tests
Dart Autogun
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 08:25:33 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: GUNIN's Personal Idea Repository
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2014, 12:50:25 pm »

Spoiler: Pictures I Love (click to show/hide)

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: Area GUNIN: Idea Depot, Things I Like
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2014, 02:31:42 pm »

Yeah, I'mma follow dis meow.

How come you don't have more games with living tanks?
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14