Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: what to do about people infected by werebeasts  (Read 2872 times)

Swonnrr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: what to do about people infected by werebeasts
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2013, 08:34:51 pm »

Yeah, but they strip naked when they transform, so they'll suck in combat and die.

Well, werewolves can still beat the shit out of a copper/iron gobbo, and in any case even a naked wearmongoose is still better than a naked peasant.
And if someone manage to transmit WereElephant Disease, everything beardless will have a bad day.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2013, 09:23:32 pm »

Imprison it in a walled-off cell and use it as a clock. Every month, you get a "X has transformed into a Y" message.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2013, 11:10:03 pm »

Better yet, stick it on a pressure plate keyed to the transformed werebeast's weight. Link the plate to some mechanism (e.g. a calendar) which you want to auto-trigger every month.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2013, 12:30:33 am »

Better yet, stick it on a pressure plate keyed to the transformed werebeast's weight. Link the plate to some mechanism (e.g. a calendar) which you want to auto-trigger every month.

Bay 12... where some poor creature cursed by the gods becomes a simple component to a completely useless clock.

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2013, 06:45:47 am »

Bay 12... where some poor creature cursed by the gods becomes a simple component to a completely useless clock.

I finally have something to do with the werebeast I have captured.
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2013, 01:38:15 pm »

I'm in favor of the "Banish them to the Caverns" plan.  Conscript the victim, armor them up, and send them through an airlock to do battle with crundles and forgotten beasts for the rest of their days.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2013, 02:45:41 pm »

I think the main problem with werebeasts de-equipping on transform is that they transform BACK so quickly, and will probably be in combat when doing so. So you've got your abomination beast fighting a forgotten horror from the depths, and he transforms back into a naked, unarmed dwarf. Since he's still in the military and an enemy is still in range, he won't bother to re-equip no matter what you do, and will probably get himself insta-gibbed.

Have you tried murder? I hear murder is a pretty useful solution to the werebeast problem. (Although as I just said, dumping him in the caverns will probably lead to his death anyways.)
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2013, 03:05:43 pm »

I think the main problem with werebeasts de-equipping on transform is that they transform BACK so quickly, and will probably be in combat when doing so.
You have a creature that heals every wound imaginable upon full moon. Instead of using it as a warrior with a narrow window of vulnerability, you seek to use its vulnerability for combat, fail, and decide to execute this most valuable warrior.
Soldier's good.

UnlawfullyDeranged

• Bay Watcher
  • For every one, there will be one hundred more.
    • View Profile
    • 'Best War Animals'  'Clocks'
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2013, 04:58:02 pm »

I think the main problem with werebeasts de-equipping on transform is that they transform BACK so quickly, and will probably be in combat when doing so.
You have a creature that heals every wound imaginable upon full moon. Instead of using it as a warrior with a narrow window of vulnerability, you seek to use its vulnerability for combat, fail, and decide to execute this most valuable warrior.
Soldier's good.

A werebeast's main functionality is not in it's improved strength and speed in beast form, since that window is so small, but in it's monthly regeneration and healing that cures all ills,   including replacement of limbs, negation of syndromes, and causing happiness. Using a small force of werebeast soldiers to fight particularly nasty enemies where maiming is inevitable (see FB syndromes) is a decent way to keep from having handless or legless dwarves that are fit for little else. Burrowing them away from the rest of you dwarves and using an isolated werebeast to trigger a lockdown of their minifort training center could be the perfect way to control them during their transformation. Just don't put them into prolonged engagements, unless you want them to turn, maul for about a minute, then turn back into naked dwarves who can be easily slaughtered. Is vampirification/thralling reversed as long as it happens after were-cursing? If so, infinite possibilities. If not, finite-but-still-awesome possibilities. Isolating a dangerous FB and then sending in the were-soldiers days before their change might even counteract fast-acting syndromes. Assuming they kill it before changing back, that is.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 05:05:06 pm by UnlawfullyDeranged »
Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!
Just no cheesemakers.

snjwffl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2013, 11:06:44 pm »

They're quite good for calibrating maiming devices.  For example, I've been trying to create a squad of platinum crutch-equipped wrestlers (so I want to consistently destroy the legs and nothing more)*, and the uniform physical characteristics from test to test was quite useful.

*Although the fatality rate is higher than desired, I've settled on having recruits walk through 1/7 magma and hope immediate treatment is enough.

xominxac

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Bookkeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2013, 02:39:47 am »

If you have a were beast that went insane, does the insanity go away when they turn?

Swonnrr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2013, 02:55:40 am »

Is thralling reversed as long as it happens after were-cursing?

That... That question needs to be answered. That would make my evil forts sooo much easier.
Pages: 1 [2]