Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 40

Author Topic: Star Ruler 2 [7/24/2018 - Now Open Source!]  (Read 84552 times)

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
Re: Star Ruler 2 [7/18/14 - Early Access Launched!]
« Reply #285 on: February 17, 2015, 07:06:19 pm »

Nice. Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be over here being the goddamned Batman while looming menacingly over you.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 07:09:19 pm by Astral »
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #286 on: February 17, 2015, 07:12:45 pm »

The race that lives in space is.. interesting.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 18, 2015, 12:03:06 pm »

I toyed around a bit with the Mechanoid race, but had some other, unrelated issues that are to be expected of an unstable build, such as my starter ship automatically attempting to give all its support ships to the homeworld, and the influence overlay being completely off.

I do really like the concept there, though. Seems weak early game, but every single planet they inhabit will have labor, and since there's no requirement for food or water, these planets can be terraformed to Level 1s once your income starts rolling in.

Edit: Once I got a semi-stable game going via a complete reinstall under the experimental branch, I got to play with them a bit more extensively. The labor cost increase is a must, but is it based off an ever-increasing number for that planet, or does it scale back against current population? If the former, then some rebalancing may be in order.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 12:23:51 pm by Astral »
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #288 on: February 18, 2015, 12:27:18 pm »

Unfortunately it looks like mechanoids can't terraform? I don't get any option to do so anyway. I played a nice long game as mechanoids and then another as the space-dwelling race. Mechanoids get bogged down really easily spending a ton of time and micromanagement building more population. Its actually really tedious and annoying, and I would appreciate a repeat build or 'build to capacity' project that just queues up population whenever there is money available and nothing else is being built. Once I got beyond a dozen or so worlds I had gotten so tired of going back to the homeworld to queue up more population that I just stopped playing for the time being.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: February 18, 2015, 01:05:08 pm »

You have to have a labor producing planet selected, say, your homeworld, then right click on the planet you're attempting to terraform.

I've terraformed entire systems of food and water into self-sustaining level 1 planets that boost my income by a good amount, causing almost exponential growth once I get the ball going.

I did notice that I can use the FTL population warp to bypass the Remnant Blockade in the Expanse map type, allowing me to simply put a planetary defense grid and artillery cannon and clear out the system... eventually.

I also noticed that they are unable to use water to bond on planets, which sort of killed my plan to use all these otherwise useless water asteroids and planets.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 01:07:51 pm by Astral »

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: February 18, 2015, 01:06:36 pm »

A good idea would probably be to add a slider to determine how much of your labour/cash you want to spend on population, possibly empire wide.
Derailing doesn't exist, derailed is the natural state of every thread.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #291 on: February 18, 2015, 01:07:49 pm »

You have to have a labor producing planet selected, say, your homeworld, then right click on the planet you're attempting to terraform.
Right, I know HOW to terraform. What I mean is that when I selected a labor producing planet and right clicked another planet I got no option to terraform. I'll test again. This is an experimental build so maybe bug?

I also noticed that they are unable to use water to bond on planets, which sort of killed my plan to use all these otherwise useless water asteroids and planets.
I think the whole water bonding mechanic is removed right now. I haven't been able to do it with any race.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: February 18, 2015, 01:08:27 pm »

I had to reinstall the game with the experimental branch selected, as it had some major issues before doing so.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #293 on: February 18, 2015, 01:09:19 pm »

I had to reinstall the game with the experimental branch selected, as it had some major issues before doing so.
Hm, I will try that. Terraforming will certainly make things much easier.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: February 18, 2015, 01:39:20 pm »

A good idea would probably be to add a slider to determine how much of your labour/cash you want to spend on population, possibly empire wide.

Well, the labor cost goes up, while the cash doesn't, which makes it manageable once you get some factories and their respective research upgrades, but early game it is somewhat painful to start.

They're definitely a late game powerhouse race, in no small part due to the fact that you can terraform any useless planets into what you need at the time; need more research, go with Chemicals, Defense, Explosives, etc.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 01:43:12 pm by Astral »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #295 on: February 18, 2015, 01:43:52 pm »

I love the idea of the mechanoids but:

1. The fact that every water and food world is essentially just a world to be terraformed gives them a stupendious potential for late game pressure stacking. And honestly, if you DON'T terraform those worlds you are just shooting yourself in the food because every food/water world you erase is one less that your organic enemies can use. I see no reason not to take the planetbuster and destroy every single water world you find.
2. The amount of clicking is too damn high. I know its an experimental build and is the first implementation of the feature so this is just feedback, not complaints. Building population is far too micromanagement intensive. If I could start a project to "Build to X pop" and let it run, that would be preferable. It would still suck down money and labor as it should, just leaves me free to concentrate on strategy and no micromanage my robot factory.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 18, 2015, 01:54:57 pm »

One thing I would like to see: Building a Gate in the origin and target system reduces the total cost of sending population to the planet. Those costs add up, at least until you run around with a Planetary Thruster equipped homeworld.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #297 on: February 18, 2015, 01:56:23 pm »

One thing I would like to see: Building a Gate in the origin and target system reduces the total cost of sending population to the planet. Those costs add up, at least until you run around with a Planetary Thruster equipped homeworld.
The FTL energy cost was nothing for me once I got a planet with FTL crystals up to level 3 with two FTL storage on it. I literally couldn't use it all up.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: February 18, 2015, 01:58:13 pm »

At least in this current game, I'm having difficulty finding level 2 resources to do so. Otherwise, I'd have a rank 5 homeworld and FTL crystal world by now. Suck of the draw, if you will.

Edit: Then I got a Stellar Generator, and can make level 2 planets from the protoplanets created. This game will be over shortly.

Yeah, that was dumb. It's the sort of thing where if you don't stop them early game, you WILL be assimilated by their economical might. I could colonize and terraform entire systems in about a minute, with the core world of The Expanse map, Orathi Prime, acting as a nearly 4k Labor/minute staging area for massive amounts of population, and 3 fully upgraded FTL Crystal worlds providing ample teleportation juice.

I did experience issues with the Planetary Thrusters on that map type, in which it did not want to go past a certain point. It's cool that they were able to use Gates, though. Imagine a Vast Plains planet, laden with artillery and planetary defense systems, jumping through a gate created in the middle of your home system in less than a second.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 07:06:46 pm by Astral »

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 20, 2015, 07:25:27 pm »

Stable now has the races and all sorts of other stuff.  Full patch notes:  http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791435727010/announcements/detail/208626748861525172
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 40