Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 38

Author Topic: Spacefox 16x16 Graphic and Tileset (Updated 1/8/2013)  (Read 510083 times)

AutoReiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spacefox 16x16 Graphic and Tileset (Updated 1/8/2013)
« Reply #300 on: October 18, 2015, 06:42:37 am »

I have a question. This is the graphic pack that I saw utilized a custom graphic for engravings.
I've been looking for the actual tile in the pack, but I can't find it, and I can't find any instances of "smooth", "detail" or "engrave" in any of the text files either.
I'd really appreciate some help with this!

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: October 18, 2015, 04:36:54 pm »

Custom graphic for engravings? Exactly how are they used? I mean can you show a screenshot about what you mean? If you are talking about the walls then it's just a shading thing and the way engravings work with different colors. There was a guy who was trying to create different engravings for lots of engravings with twbt but I think he gave up since it wasn't really that viable.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 04:42:08 pm by LeoCean »

AutoReiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: October 18, 2015, 09:22:41 pm »

Oh my... I just noticed that the pattern I thought was engravings are actually present on the default wall tiles too, just very faint. I have no questions then... ;)

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: October 26, 2015, 07:19:25 pm »

Here's a set of overrides for spacefox I've been meddling with, it's not perfect and it's minimalistic in a sense compared to gemset. It takes from other projects mainly Dorens DF Phoebus Overrides and WIPSet by utkonos Overrides + some stuff by dibujor and edits by dragonplatino? idk the spelling.

Data folder/file or LeoCean Spacefox overrides, don't use LeoCean overrides (that's older), dropbox is being a real pain in my ass by not syncing fully so I had to throw it in a .rar so it would, funnily enough it synced all the god damn new document.txts I spammed to get it to sync the .rar file but not the art folder. Idk it shows in the file on the website that it's there so who knows.

You may or may not want to use twbt tilesize 18 18 in extra_dfhack_init.init since these overrides use 24x24 overrides with a 16x16 tileset and 18x18 is a non blurry middleground.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=152698.0 = Dorens mod

Took the workshops and the bridges from that mod and some other things, not much though.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=152766.0 = WIP mod

I really liked the smoothed floors from this mod so when you smooth your floors that's what they will look like, then when you engrave, well be prepared to be amazed that your dwarves can go back to the old version floors.  :P Screenshots are available in the dropbox just look at the tilesets.. I'm to lazy to post them otherwise as I barely was going to post this anyways. There are probably some issues (like 1 toy is overridden but there's 4, I was playing with an accelerated version so I had one toy set) you may run into but it shouldn't crash like the other gemset since these overrides don't go as overboard on the overrides. I've played a tad bit with these overrides but I may not have fixed everything I found. Rough gems use Dorens overrides so if you want to go back to the bland ones spacefox usually has look up ROUGH and # it out.

You can still use the old walls if you don't want to use the walls I switched it with just use the old spacefox verison which I didn't include :o.. oops, you have it somewhere anyways.. that init and d_init.txts/color.txts aren't any different than before so I don't know why I included those.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 07:31:34 pm by LeoCean »

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: October 26, 2015, 07:42:27 pm »

Here's a set of overrides for spacefox I've been meddling with, it's not perfect and it's minimalistic in a sense compared to gemset. It takes from other projects mainly Dorens DF Phoebus Overrides and WIPSet by utkonos Overrides + some stuff by dibujor and edits by dragonplatino? idk the spelling.

This sounds great, but please put a coherent set on DFFD so I can link to it and be confident it isn't going to vanish one day.
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: October 26, 2015, 07:58:16 pm »

Fricy probably will now that you've asked? Idk Fricy does most of it lol, he'll probably update it in his github account at https://github.com/fricy/Spacefox/tree/master, making a dffd account seems like a lot of work.. Uploading it to DFFD by itself wouldn't be the best idea I don't think at this moment and my version of spacefox is still a little different than fricys, guess I could try to put together a version sort of close to fricys and upload it there.  :'( :'( :'(  Won't happen today though, since if I am gonna do it I'll have to check things and that will take time.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 08:33:20 pm by LeoCean »

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: October 26, 2015, 08:30:04 pm »

No rush!  I've got a slightly more recent version around, so I'll try to merge that.  https://github.com/PeridexisErrant/DFgraphics
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: October 26, 2015, 08:33:02 pm »

Merging it with the version fricy has would be best, since the spacefox version you have there is quite outdated. As dibujors animals weren't added in it yet, which was 4 months ago?

TheBloke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: October 27, 2015, 11:49:50 am »

Thanks so much for the new version.  A lot of the changes look amazing!

I do have a major problem though, and I'm wondering if maybe I didn't install it right or have done something wrong?

Here's the problem I have - "bleeding" of tiles as I move the viewport:

I am fairly new to DF (I've been playing for three weeks), and I only have experience of using PyLNP.  I hope I installed the new tileset right, but maybe I missed a step or did something wrong?

Here's what I did:
  • I copied the folder LNP/Graphics/Spacefox to LNP/Graphics/SpacefoxOverride
  • In SpacefoxOverride, I edited manifest.json to give it a new name (Spacefox 16px Overrides)
  • From your Data.rar, I extracted the 'art' folder into my LNP/Graphics/SpacefoxOverride/data/art/ folder, telling it to overwrite where necessary
  • From your Data.rar, I extracted data/init/overrides.txt and data/init/colors.txt into LNP/Graphics/SpacefoxOverride/data/init/ folder, overwriting
  • I compared your data/init/init.txt and data/init/d_init.txt files with mine, and decided not to extract them - the only difference was that you use a different text font; my PyLNP default is set to Curses_640x300, and I much prefer this to the Starfox text font (which appears with huge spaces between all the letters).  The rest of these two files was basically identical.
  • To my Dwarf Fortress 0.40.24\extra_dfhack_init.init file, I added - at the very top, just before "multilevel 5", the line:  "twbt tilesize 18 18"
  • In PyLNP, I Refreshed the Graphics then double-clicked on Spacefox 16px Overrides to select it, and let it update all my save games
  • Then I ran the game as normal.

Hope that all makes sense!  This is the first time I've looked at any graphic files and I think I get the general idea of how they work, and what PyLNP does to them to install them, but I'm still very much a newbie so I may have missed something obvious or done something dumb.

I have a couple of other issues I'd like to raise, but they're preferences rather than problems, so I'll put them in the next post.

Thanks again for all your hard work, Spacefox is amazing!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 12:11:58 pm by TheBloke »

TheBloke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: October 27, 2015, 11:59:19 am »

There are three things I'd personally like to see changed in Spacefox - one is only in the new overrides posted by Leo last night, and the other two are also in the original Spacefox.   

At least in the case of the first issue, I'd be grateful if you could let me know if there's any way I can fix/alter this myself - maybe it is simple for me to revert to the original Spacefox tiles for smooth/engraved stone?   

New Stone Tiles: Smooth/Engraved

I'm afraid I am really not a fan of the new stone images.  Running at 1920x1200 I find them a harder to see and differentiate, and I can't make out the fine detail in the same way I could in the original.

I made a quick example showing what I mean:

The issue for me is that when zoomed out, it's a lot harder to tell the difference between rough and smooth.  And although the Engraved does stand out compared to smooth/rough, it doesn't stand out much compared to other objects like walls. 

Here's another example showing what I mean:

So my questions are:
  • Are the floors looking like they're supposed to, on the new version?  I know I have a technical problem causing the 'bleeding' of tiles, so maybe I also have another problem making it look different/less clear than is intended?
    • And actually the walls on the "new version" screen shot are also a lot less clear - on the right screenshot above, I can clearly see the engraving marks on the walls; on the left, they're a lot fainter/much less distinct.
    • Is that as intended, or do I have a blurriness problem?  Maybe the "twbt tilesize 18 18" command is not working right for me?
  • If they do look as intended, is it easy for me to revert to the original smooth/engraved floors?  Do I simply need to edit the file override.txt and reference the original Spacefox png file instead of the new one?

I guess I could summarise the issue I have by saying that, looking at that comparison screenshot, the new Overrides on the left looks a bit like rooms floating in an indistinct grey sea, whereas the original on the right looks like it should: rooms built on top of a floor.  Does that make sense?

Minecarts - nearly impossible to tell between different materials, and very dark (also an issue in original Spacefox

This second issue is not new in the new Overrides, I have it in the original Spacefox as well.

Here is a stockpile of Minecarts, shown at my normal zoom and also zoomed right in.  You can see that a) the minecarts are *really* dark, in fact at normal zoom it looks like they are just silhouettes, not a finished graphic, b) it's almost impossible to tell between different materials, unless you zoom very far in and then wood has a slight brown blob under it; but steel and iron look identical.

Icon for "Stone Smoothing/Engraving in progress" is a door, for some reason!

A very minor issue, but thought I'd mention it with the others:  the icon used for when the dwarves are going to smooth or engrave stone is, for some reason, a picture of a door.

This confused me quite a bit when I first started playing - I kept thinking I'd placed extra doors all over the place by mistake :)  I'm used to it now, but it would be nice if some other icon could be used.  One of the other tilesets, I think maybe Gemset 24, uses a picture of a + symbol which works well; simple, but unique so once you know what it means, it's easy to recognise.

Here I have marked an area for Smooth Stone and an area for Engrave Stone:

Quite possibly this is something I could change myself.  For example, item 41 from DorenItems18x18 looks quite good and appropriate for this: 

Is it as simple as editing overrides.txt and finding the current entry that points to a door, and changing it to reference DorenItems18x18:41 ?   

I'm not asking you to teach me all about graphic modding, I can go read some Tileset tutorials :)  It would just be nice to know if it *is* as simple as that, in which case I'll just have a quick go, or whether I do need to read all about tilesets before trying to change anything?

Thanks again for your amazing work, both Spacefox and LeoCean!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 12:17:46 pm by TheBloke »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: October 27, 2015, 12:25:47 pm »

The engraving thing is normal, and goes back to the original tileset layout. The floor overrides are just a matter of preference, I like the older ones more as well, but I used a totally different tileset and just the dorfs/animals when I was spacefoxing it up. I think I was using Bisasam full time back then, and later the GemSet 32x48 text set and currently the 30x45 Duerer rescale I did.

TheBloke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: October 27, 2015, 01:13:05 pm »

The engraving thing is normal, and goes back to the original tileset layout. The floor overrides are just a matter of preference, I like the older ones more as well, but I used a totally different tileset and just the dorfs/animals when I was spacefoxing it up. I think I was using Bisasam full time back then, and later the GemSet 32x48 text set and currently the 30x45 Duerer rescale I did.

Yeah I understand.  And I've managed to revert the floors already myself - I got luck, LeoCean left the overrides for smooth/engraved floors right at the end of the new Override, and they were obviously named.  So I just tried commenting them out and it all worked :)

Unfortunately I still have the problem of the 'bleeding' workshop tiles, which looks awful whenever I scroll the screen near the workshops.  If anyone knows how to fix that, I'd be most grateful.

In the meantime I'm going to keep reading through these Overrides and understand better how they work, and see if I can change the Smooth/Engraving-in-progress icon, and maybe even find a better Minecart.

Thanks again

TheBloke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: October 27, 2015, 01:14:31 pm »

Sorry for the post flood, but I just noticed one other thing that seems strange in the new override - possibly a bug?

I just did a Carve Track for the first time, and compared it from the original Spacefox to the new Overrides.  The new overrides basically just appears black, with nothing visible at all even far zoomed in.  The original Spacefox doesn't look much like a track, but there is something visible there (looks like engravings):

Is this as intended?   If I zoom way way in, I can see a few pixels of non-black on the new overrides, but it's very faint. 

I will work out how to revert it to the original Spacefox for myself, but I wanted to raise this in case it's a bug.  I see there's loads of cool looking track pictures in some of the override files, like DorenItems - I will see if I can get those used instead.

Edit: One more, this one is quite major:  I find it to be almost impossible to read the number on the Designations

The number is there, but it's a dark blue surrounded by dark brown.  This is how far I have to zoom in before I can make out the numbers, and even then I have to really look hard:

Sorry for all the posts!  I know Leo just meant this as a quick post, maybe he regrets that now :)  I'm more than happy to fix these issues for myself locally, but I thought I should raise them in case Leo wants to fix them and/or so others know what to expect.  I will keep digging through the files and see if I can work out how to change these things back.

In the case of Designation, I think it would be solved easily just by changing the colour from dark brown back to what it used to be, orange.  I'd like to do the same with Stockpiles, which are also now dark brown and used to be a light grey which I prefer.

I thought these changes might be in data/init/colors.txt, but I see that the new Overrides use the exact same colors.txt as the original Spacefox.  So I guess the change is in overrides.txt somewhere.  I've read through the whole file twice and I can't find anything obvious, there's nothing labelled 'designation' or 'dig' or 'stockpile'.  I'll keep looking.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 02:25:28 pm by TheBloke »

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: October 27, 2015, 07:03:46 pm »

Thanks for the feedback, it's appreciated.

Well the train tracks I didn't know about, they shouldn't be like that. No one raised that issue before ever lol. It has to have been there since 0.40.08 and I'd say 0.40.01, maybe sooner but i've no idea. It should be the default ones as there is no damn difference with vanilla df which should make it correct but I guess not, I'll have to look into that. I've never really used the train tracks so I didn't personally know.

The walls, well I didn't create them so I'll have to work some way out on how to fix the engraving issues. I tried to use the old way the spacefox walls are but that doesn't seem to work (it's what I used for the pillars I think, or maybe I overrode the wrong pillar and just think I'm using that one) Ah yes, the reason why I didn't use the one I edited was because I found it to dark when not engraved, turns out that backfires.

[OVERRIDE:61:B:STOCKPILE:Stockpile::wipitems:204] #yes allow wooden stockpile, CHECK <---- that's the stockpile... I could change that to a grey background instead maybe even 164 in dorenitems24 or 69 in wipworkshops, but then you'd probably have to paste it lower in the file so it is loaded after that tileset gets loaded. Well the new ones grey (same design, just light grey) it's not a finished product yet, I don't think but it's better than the old one, I really didn't like the old one. Maybe a light brown one would be nice? We'll see.

Changed minecarts over to be 159 of wipitems for now, I may or may not fix the old ones. It's not to hard but  :-\. I guess I should have noticed that sooner since I do use quantum stockpiles and my minecarts shouldn't be black when I use wood that is light in color haha. Fixed now but I still like the old ones in the tileset.

I don't get any of that bleeding that you are getting, I mean my screen for dwarf fortress turned half grey and I had to save and exit dwarf fortress to correct it but not that. I play on windowed mode with it filling the screen if that makes a difference instead of full screen? Actually I sometimes do, the little bit of floor but that's not my fault, twbt is framing me... I'm pretty sure it's fixed in his build version but it hasn't been released, or I could be wrong but it's not that big of a deal, maybe spread your workshops out on different floors? Actually does it even bleed when you use the old floors instead of having them overridden? Because that's one of the reason's they bleed, since to many things in the area being overridden causes that. 

The designation thing is that way because of the changes I make to the 1234567 numbers in the spacefox16x16 tileset where the old one has the normal 1234567 since I like to have my water and lava look like water/lava and not 1234567 but still want to know the depths. Can't really change the colors, I can't make out the numbers on that either but you can still easily tell where they are digging when that modes not up. You could use paint.net or whatever "painting" program and take the old 1234567 and fix it by copying those over, they should paste right where you copy from.

The floors are mean, they shouldn't do that. Why they don't have two different overrides like I thought they did is something that blows my mind.... That I didn't actually check. Everything else does, and I know someone created overrides for the different engravings once so it should have worked that way. Grrrr...

I think I checked all of that, I'll get to work on the train tracks, the walls are going to have to wait, since that's going to take an hour  :'(, manually doing all that. The tears are real. I'd use screenshots but that takes more time that I have.. I've played a few hours on these overrides so, yeah the forts not that large.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 07:07:27 pm by LeoCean »

TheBloke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: October 27, 2015, 07:13:30 pm »

Hey Leo, thanks so much for the detailed response!

I am in the middle of something so can't reply in full yet, but I just wanted to say one thing quickly before you spend any more time:

The train tracks are displaying for me in the normal Spacefox, that is the one I got with PyLNP: dated 5th July 2015, which I think is last updated by fricy?

Well, they are displaying in that I don't see all-black, I see *something*.  It's only a problem of looking all-black when I apply your overrides that I downloaded last night.

I just wanted to check that that was clear, because you said it must be an issue going back many versions but they did appear for me.  Well, at least I mean they are not all black! They don't look much like tracks, is that what you mean about broken for ages?

Anyway just wanted to check I was clear about that.  Oh and while I'm here: I also play in windowed mode, adjusted to my full screen size (1920x1200), not full screen.  So I don't know what's going on with the bleeding tiles.  For now I reverted back to July Spacefox because I find it annoying  to play without seeing the designation numbers (I use priorities all the time), but I will do what you said about re-painting the numbers and give the new version another another go soon.  I really like 99% of your new Overrides, it's just those couple of small things, so I will try anything I can to get the new one in place.

Thanks again for the detailed response, as soon as I'm finished up with what I'm doing I'll come back and check the rest of what you said!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 07:17:56 pm by TheBloke »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 38