Poll

Which save?

Fivex's
- 4 (50%)
Before OOS
- 4 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 30

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV: MP, Saturday, 7pm BST  (Read 34762 times)

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV: MP, Signups open
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2013, 03:14:44 am »

Well, what we ran into last time was the Holy Roman Empire banding together to take down those Western Tyrants Burgundy and Britain at various points, and then getting flattened by every other player at once, and then banding together with Burgundy and Muscovy(?) to try to slow down the wildly-out-of-control Britain. Honestly, I really liked the diplomacy, but it did slow down the carnage somewhat. What about a modification, wherein countries are only allowed to ally in groups that have a maximum size of the largest player? For example, Genoa, Netherlands, and Hamburg might form an alliance and still be smaller and less powerful than a well-off Burgundy or France.

The endgame was largely locked in stasis  due to the Central Europe<-Austria<-GBR->Russia diplomatic scenario. Central Europe was bound into a permanent alliance due to their reduced size; GBR and Russia were unable to face them alone, and were consequently pushed into a similarly permanent alliance, whereas Austria, wary of an Anglo-Russian coalition, entered an alliance with GBR. The convoluted result was that, with war being incredibly logistically taxing for the two largest nations, and Central Europe being unable to face both simultaneously, player-on-player military action slowed down to a crawl.

That might have peaked into a war between an Anglo-Russian coalition and the HRE over de facto control of the balkans, but the aforementoed ties between Austria, GBR & Russia defused the situation. The overall diplomacy made for an entertaining game, though I don't look forward to trying to hold together  a hybrid continental/colonial great power again in the near future. If anything, the game's non-scaling WE gain system was the greatest culprit in the eventual scarcity of open conflict; when you have 20 years of rebels to look forward to after a major war, you don't go to war with another player unless you are doing so to change the board's scales for good.

somebody

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2013, 04:17:28 am »

Ah, what the hell, Last time was fun enough for me.

Somebody( Sweden, Naples, Brandenburg, Hungary)

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2013, 04:23:31 am »

Yeah, that's why I want to have a specific victory condition and break the game down into rounds. That gives the players the incentive to attack and break stalemates.

regarding tiers not being suitable, good point. Lets organise it:
Major Powers @ 5 years non-aggression (England France Castille Austria Bohemia Sweden/Denmark Russia Ottomans Mamluks Poland Lithuania)
Minor Powers @ 20 years non-aggression (Burgundy Portugal Brandenburg Bavaria Hungary Teutonic Order Milan Naples Venice Hansa)
Other Nations @ 50 years non-aggression (Others)

May have missed some, but you get the idea I'm sure.

Anyway, if nobody really wants to do my suggestion, it is only a suggestion :p

EDIT:Also, does anyone have a starting map/seen one for europe?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 05:34:02 am by Twiggie »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2013, 06:47:19 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(this is a screenshot from Quill's preview copy and it a month or two out of date)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 06:56:58 am by Dutchling »

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2013, 08:51:09 am »

I think Burgundy should be a major power at game start but other then that it looks pretty fair.
May the mass times acceleration be with you

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2013, 10:54:20 am »

I'm definitely in for this.
Fivex (Mamluks, Ottomans, Venice, Burgundy, Poland)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 10:56:31 am by fivex »

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2013, 12:57:54 pm »

Seems like Castille, England & the Ottomans get the better western start.

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2013, 01:23:29 pm »

I think what we should do is organize nations into tiers. Nations of the same tier can't form alliances but can with members of other tiers. Tier placement would happen every 50 years or so and would be done by the GM impartially.

To start we could have tier 1 compromising 4 nations, tier 2 with 5 and a tier 3 with 5 as well.  Nations under that would be free from restrictions.  So if England was allied with Brandenburg (tier 1 and 3) at some point in the game and Brandenburg went on a conquering spree and moved up to tier 1 the alliance would have to be cancelled. And if Austria was bumped down because of it England might try to ally with them. This hopefully would cause a fluid system in which strong nations would improve weaker nations to help them in their own global game.

Chosrau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2013, 04:00:39 pm »

I think what we should do is organize nations into tiers. Nations of the same tier can't form alliances but can with members of other tiers. Tier placement would happen every 50 years or so and would be done by the GM impartially.

To start we could have tier 1 compromising 4 nations, tier 2 with 5 and a tier 3 with 5 as well.  Nations under that would be free from restrictions.  So if England was allied with Brandenburg (tier 1 and 3) at some point in the game and Brandenburg went on a conquering spree and moved up to tier 1 the alliance would have to be cancelled. And if Austria was bumped down because of it England might try to ally with them. This hopefully would cause a fluid system in which strong nations would improve weaker nations to help them in their own global game.

I support this proposal. The actual mechanics need to be tweaked a little bit, but I really like the idea.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2013, 06:00:15 pm »

I support this proposal. The actual mechanics need to be tweaked a little bit, but I really like the idea.
Ehh, I think this is imperfect, as there's no legitimate reason why two small nations shouldn't be able to ally against a larger nation. Honestly I think that having this rule at all is unnecessary and it's more reasonable to just have the rule of: Don't form huge boring blocs, under penalty of everyone else forming a coalition against it.

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2013, 06:17:16 pm »

How about nations can have a total of 10 alliance points? Tier 1 would cost 6 tier 2 would cost 4 and tier 3 would cost 2.

So you could mix and match but you won't have any massive alliances.

Or you could give smaller nations more points and larger nations less.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2013, 07:18:20 pm »

I like Andrew's plan

also

Stabbymcstabstab Austria/France/Portugal/Various viable German states
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2013, 02:16:02 am »

Well according to DD #23, the diplomacy system is changed a bit, so we'll see.

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2013, 03:58:01 am »

We should honestly to God ensure no one is alone in eastern expansion or western colonial play this time around.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2013, 08:56:36 am »

I do know the game already will already have some soft limits on how many alliances and things a country can have. We really need to play around with the exact mechanics before we start making rules.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 30