Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Microscope RPG: Let's build a world together [OOC thread]  (Read 20247 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Microscope RPG: Let's build a world together [OOC thread]
« on: July 22, 2013, 12:21:17 am »

HISTORY OF
[INSERT WORLD NAME HERE]
A Microscope Game

Microscope is a game about worldbuilding. Not in the literal sense, as the players do not take the roles of gods or anything like that; rather, the players work to create a rich and detailed history of the world, building off of ideas and concepts introduced (and/or modified) by the other players. It is, essentially, an exercise in creative writing and roleplaying.

Microscope describes itself as a "fractal game." That is because the game works by adjusting the focus in and out as the players see fit. The game starts with the beginning and ending of the history already known; the bits in between are filled by establishing new facts about the world that do not contradict existing facts, and then exploring the implications and consequences of those facts. Essentially, the game is one long answer to the question of "What is this world?"

Everyone is equal as far as creative authority goes; there are very few rules about what you can and can't write, but everyone is an equal participant, and nobody has any precedence when it comes to any particular aspect of the game. Nobody owns anything. A character, a god, a city, a secret society; they are all tools to be used by every player, regardless of who introduced them to the game. Technically speaking, there isn't even a GM; I'll be something like First among Equals since I'm the one who owns a copy of the rules (and I'm the guy who'll perform general thread maintenance,) but when it comes to actually playing the game I have no more or less power than anyone else.

Spoiler: How the game is played (click to show/hide)

So let's play a new game! Since I'm the one introducing the game, I'm gonna be a jerk and unilaterally decide the first two steps of starting a new game. The first step is to come up with a simple overview of the history we're going to create, a single sentence that encompasses all of creation. The Big Picture.

The gods create a new world protected from the ravages of Primordial Chaos

The second step is to create Bookends; the very first Period in the game, and the very last Period. The beginning and the ending of the story. All other Periods will occur somewhere between these two Periods. For organizational purposes, I'll be putting one dash before Periods, two dashes before Events, and three before Scenes. I'll also be bolding the titles of new Periods and Events, to make them easy to pick out. As the timeline gets filled out, the Periods and Events that are well defined can be shortened to just their title.

-Creation  The gods separate themselves from the rest of the universe, creating their own world.
-Twilight of the Gods  The gods fade away, their energies diffused into their own Creation.

There! Now we have an idea of how everything starts, and how it will all end. The specifics, and everything in between, are yet to be created!

The next step is to create a Palette. A Palette is a collection of things that every player agrees to abide by in the course of the game. Essentially, it's a list of things exceptions; things we definitely want in the game that wouldn't necessarily be expected of the setting (if we really want Steampunk to be a thing in this world, for example,) or things we definitely don't want in the game that you think other players might want (if you really don't want gunpowder technology, for example.) Note that if you want something in the game, and everyone is alright with it, it still doesn't exist in game until a Period, Event, or Scene occurs that describes it. If the Steampunk example passed, for example, there would still need to be an Event to mark the beginning of those shenanigans.

This game will hold no more than six players at a time. Or, in other words, I'm looking for up to five more players to join me. There will be a waitlist in case a player drops out before the other players are done with the game. If you're interested in playing, just make a post saying so along with any Palette choices you'd like to make. Feel free to debate or negotiate with other players' Palettes; we can't start until everyone is happy with everything that will be going into the game.

For my own Palette choices...

Magic should be powerful, but rare. Magic should be a big deal, and I'd rather not have a world like Harry Potter, Xanth, or 3.5 Dungeons and Dragons where everyone and their uncle uses magic to clean their unmentionables and slay their orcs. More Sword, less Sorcery, such that in a big battle each side might field tens of thousands of soldiers, but only half a dozen magic users, if that. Of course, those half dozen mages will be doing crazy things like generating tornadoes or earthquakes or whatever; they're not irrelevant, just not numerous.

No alien races. By that, I mean I'd rather not stray too far from the "regular" cast of fantasy races. Cosmetic changes and unique spins on the elves or dwarves is fine (and quite welcome!) as is inclusion of some of the less common races like kitsunes or gnolls or whatever, but I don't want to have crazy unique Mary Sue races in the game. No psionic starfish people with invisibility abilities, or stuff like that. If they're hard to relate to, they're not appropriate for this game IMO. Cool monsters, yes, whole civilizations of them, no.

From here on, this thread will be used for OOC rules discussion. All content posts are to be placed in the game thread.

Spoiler: Waitlist (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 09:06:59 pm by monk12 »

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
Re: Microscope RPG: Let's build a world together
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 12:52:56 am »

Shit let's make a world

Magic, Technology and Nature should be tightly linked:
I would like to see a world where it isn't divided up between those stupid magic fundies, those damn corrupting techies and those tree hugging hippies. Let's get some fucking magitech rifles being shot from the back of walking mountains. Trees that act as artillery on a floating battleship. That shit would be awesome.

This world should go into the modern age and beyond:
Who says we can't have priests and mages alongside spacemarines and hackers. The later Periods should be almost like Shadowrun. Let's the gods fade away because man challenged them and won. Let's watch as battles between empires during industrial revolution turn into space based warfare.

A major focus should be on mankind and their trials:
I'm personally tired of fantasy where all we see is elves faffing about, angles being pretty and shit and common man being smashed into the dirty. Let's have ourselves a setting where armies and kingdoms can do more than small parties of adventurers. Where the labyrinthine plots of some stuck up vampire can be destroyed by a human dictator not giving a fuck. A world where man is no longer the manipulated but the manipulator.

Also I would like guns and shit, no fantasy stasis please.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 01:39:30 am »

Also I would like guns and shit, no fantasy stasis please.

To start I will give my opinion on this idea:
I want guns to go *POP* you're dead like they should. None of that set amount of hitpoints I want to see realistic gun happenings. You shoot someone with a pistol there better be a decent hole there and they had best be hurting. In fact I want guns to go all the way back to when mages start to get powerful. I want to see people using guns as a way to channel magic better. But to be fair I think that tech should have its own advantages.

Now on to an idea of my own:
Magic should happen at the expense of the life force of the magic user or the people in the vicinity. Basically I think magic should work like it does in the inheritance cycle (If you haven't read it you should the books are great.) with it being fickle and powerful and most of all just as dangerous to the user as it is to the people around him. No magic should be easy or cheap.

Chink

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 01:48:27 am »

Magic should be powerful, but rare.
No alien races.
I support these choices.

Palette Prefences:
Magic should be dangerous, able to harm the user just as much as help them. Great power should come at great cost, basically.
Healing magic should tend to be a lot harder than other kinds of magic, due to the complexity of the body.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 01:59:34 am »

I'm going to watch this and read it when it finishes.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 02:07:14 am »

Palette Choices:
Magic will have catastrophic consequences to the reality of the world if abused. A good incentive for it not to be too badly overused.

No magical meteors of doom unless you're prepared to sacrifice dozens to summon said meteor. Equivalent exchange.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 02:07:42 am »

So to sum up:

Magic should be the manipulation of life energies of the caster, or the caster acting as a conduit of life energies. They tend to dangerous and could backfire at the caster, but their rarity and potency makes it very attractive for the rulers and armies of the era, which found its use on the battlefield.

Now to add a bit:

With the advance of technology, some ingenious people tried to blend technology and magic together, first as harmless trinkets, and later as potent weapons. Weaponized energy, anti-magic cannons, and the expendable personal barrier are just a few of the many applications.

And expanding on magic:

Others does not see the point of blending technology into magic, and instead focused on being both up and personal and magically capable. By focusing their minds in the midst of battle, channeling their own life energy (either in stored form or siphoned from the fallen), a caste of Magical warriors are born, and they are almost as potent as the technical counterparts: unfortunately they tend to be a very big target for anti-magic magic, and no sane commander would go on the field without some of it.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 02:08:42 am »

Palette Choices:
Magic will have catastrophic consequences to the reality of the world if abused. A good incentive for it not to be too badly overused.

No magical meteors of doom unless you're prepared to sacrifice dozens to summon said meteor. Equivalent exchange.
I can see the world falling into the sustainable magic and unsustainable magic camp, as two opposing ideologies.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 02:11:31 am »

Precisely what I planned.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 05:08:10 am »

Just to say, using Twilight of the Gods as the end might be too premature. We seemed to be destined to End of History: Either a total annihilation, or a Francis Fukuyama style eternal stagnation.

Anyway, we do seem to be in agreement above the general flow of the story. Let's just start from here.

In addition, I would recommend adding a longer unit of time, the Era. A Era would basically encompasses a few to a lot of periods, and while not concentrating on one single theme, Eras are defined by periods so catastrophic or important that life will (generally) never be the same between two eras. Essentially, Antiquity, Classical, Medieval, Renaissance, so on and so forth. These can be defined, though in a later age when events start to shape the world.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 05:23:20 am by evilcherry »

Rhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 05:27:24 am »

Regarding the twilight of the gods. What if every several millenia young new born gods fight their parents, bringing some kind of natural disaster in a war fought by both the gods and their mortal servants and the true twilight of the gods comes when after so many generations of inbreeding by the gods, they can no longer give birth to new gods, leading to their stagnation and final and the diffusal of their energies?

Just and idea. Might be too complex right now.

EDIT: And I want to participate, obviously.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 05:37:34 am by Rhyme »
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.
Dwarf Fortress doesn't mean to do it... I just can't behave sometimes so it has to correct me.
Wait, there's a player list?

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 05:31:25 am »

Oh man, Microscope. Haven't seen this one around in a while. Watchin.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2013, 05:41:13 am »

Regarding the twilight of the gods. What if every several millenia young new born gods fight their parents, bringing some kind of natural disaster in a war fought by both the gods and their mortal servants and the true twilight of the gods comes when after so many generations of inbreeding by the gods, they can no longer give birth to new gods, leading to their stagnation and final and the diffusal of their energies?

or, rather, mortal races are the result of inbreeding of different groups of gods.

Rhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2013, 05:47:59 am »

or, rather, mortal races are the result of inbreeding of different groups of gods.
I don't know. Maybe some of them, like dragons and other beasts that are far above the normal mortal races, and these mortal races are the result of inbreeding of those beasts. That way the inbreeding between some gods might have created the giants, who then created the humans.
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.
Dwarf Fortress doesn't mean to do it... I just can't behave sometimes so it has to correct me.
Wait, there's a player list?

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2013, 05:49:38 am »

Except the dwarves.

Because as we all know they were formed from a goat and a depraved midget.*

*Don't smite me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7