Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Hypothetically, could you embark over a werebeast/troll/etc lair?  (Read 4525 times)

Geldrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hypothetically, could you embark over a werebeast/troll/etc lair?
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2013, 07:45:30 am »

OP: Absolutely. At my very first fortress, I embarked next to a were-deer's lair, who was a kobold in "civil life". He immediately transformed, so the first thing I saw was the warning message right after the "strike the earth!" screen. Unpuased the game... he rushed against my starting seven, killed somebody, then escaped back to his stinkhole after transforming back. I've had no idea what was happening so it was really confusing for the first DF play experience. :D

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2013, 11:36:41 am »

Remember that guy who embarked on the lair of a cyclops and it's very big family?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2013, 01:28:29 pm »

OP: Absolutely. At my very first fortress, I embarked next to a were-deer's lair, who was a kobold in "civil life". He immediately transformed, so the first thing I saw was the warning message right after the "strike the earth!" screen. Unpuased the game... he rushed against my starting seven, killed somebody, then escaped back to his stinkhole after transforming back. I've had no idea what was happening so it was really confusing for the first DF play experience. :D
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress! Mind the ledge:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Miriage

• Bay Watcher
  • Insane Dwarf.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2013, 10:41:55 pm »

Welcome to Dwarf Fortress! Mind the ledge:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

First time I saw that picture it was about eveonline.
Don't listen to a word I say, I am completely insane.
Does that mean you shouldn't listen to my pervious sentence and infact listen to everything I say?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2013, 10:56:05 pm »

First time I saw that picture it was about eveonline.
We actually had investigations into the origins of this and another image before. Neither eve online nor DF were the progenitors from which all others are based [though they are now, as they are the two most common and oldest shoops]. The original copy may long since be dead.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2013, 12:00:39 am »

It cant possibly be dead! The internet never forgets!

On-topic; I've embarked on several lairs/caves/whatever with occupants. One of them was a cave in an older version with a hydra. Or maybe it was two hydras... Anyway, my dwarves were pretty soon mushy hydra porridge. I reclaimed with a military party, and the site appeared to have been abandoned so I had everyone mull around stockpiling the goods strewn about. Unfortunately, megabeasts apparently don't abandon their site after killing you, they just go into ambush! Soon enough a dwarf wandered off into the fields to pick something up, and the hydra appeared, and tore him to shreds. I activated the other dwarves, but they too were mutilated and the fortress was once again abandoned. I embarked two more times with two more parties until finally the hydra was slain. Not that I kept the fortress, though.

I also embarked for the purposes of ‼SCIENCE‼ and breeding testing with dragons. I found a lair with an adult female and her son, and spent some time there waiting for eggs to hatch. They didn't, proving that the CHILD tag is necessary for reproduction in-game, even via egg, and even though dragons would reproduce fine in worldgen. I eventually abandoned that site too.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2013, 04:05:33 am »

I want to get back into DF, but my perfectionism demands a site that is "just so", and so far I have not found it. One of the closest candidates includes a hydra lair. I'm definitely tempted to give it a whirl and see if I can wall it in before it eats everyone, then weaponize it later. :p

But if "locals" are immune to traps, that's a bummer because it means no caging for taming and breeding. Meh. I did not not that.

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2013, 03:03:19 pm »

Locals aren't immune to traps if they are blown into them by dust (either titan/FB dust or cave in dust), or if they are webbed.
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2013, 03:25:50 pm »

Locals aren't immune to traps if they are blown into them by dust (either titan/FB dust or cave in dust), or if they are webbed.
... or otherwise rendered unconscious.  And, for the record, sleep is considered to be unconsciousness so if it sleeps, you can pen it into a small area filled with cage traps and it should be captured as soon as it dozes off.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2013, 03:30:25 pm »

... or otherwise rendered unconscious.  And, for the record, sleep is considered to be unconsciousness so if it sleeps, you can pen it into a small area filled with cage traps and it should be captured as soon as it dozes off.
Do anything other than dwarves sleep?
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2013, 03:34:45 pm »

Not that I'm aware of, but I was actually thinking of were-beast fortress citizens when I added that. ;)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Skorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2013, 06:23:22 am »

Not that I'm aware of, but I was actually thinking of were-beast fortress citizens when I added that. ;)
I'm totally sure that only dwarves sleep, other creatures can only be stunned or lose consciousness due to pain
"I'M NOT DONE WITH THE GORY PULP THAT IS YOUR EYES! I WILL ERASE THE VAGUE IMPRESSION THAT YOU WERE EVER ABLE TO SEE AT ALL! FORGET THE VITAL ORGANS, BLINDING THE BLINDED AS I BLIND BLIND PEOPLE IS ALL THAT MATTERS!"

-Urist McMason, enraged at having found a Gecko Man in his fortress.
Urist McMason likes Gecko Man Eyes.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2013, 07:43:30 am »

I'm totally sure that only dwarves sleep, other creatures can only be stunned or lose consciousness due to pain
And syndromes, don't forget those. Someone once had a Fortress where their anti-siege defence consisted of fluffballs carrying sleep syndromes rolling around and non-violently ending sieges.

[Unfortunately, the Dwarves had a habit of slow learning and rather violently dispatched the sleeping guests].

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2013, 09:06:40 am »

And syndromes, don't forget those. Someone once had a Fortress where their anti-siege defence consisted of fluffballs carrying sleep syndromes rolling around and non-violently ending sieges.

[Unfortunately, the Dwarves had a habit of slow learning and rather violently dispatched the sleeping guests].

Query: do non-dwarves suffer the same 'curse of eternal sleep' that other [NO_SLEEP] creatures (e.g. vampires) do? Because that would actually be a pretty awesome defense if they do.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

Yazman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2013, 01:42:54 pm »

Humans do. You can see them sleeping regularly in adventure mode.
Pages: 1 [2] 3