Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: the Steam Trading Cards thread  (Read 12812 times)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: the Steam Trading Cards thread
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2013, 10:46:47 pm »

They're the same value on the market: $0.25. You could trade one with someone, and I'll finish the dwarf.

HLBeta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2013, 11:00:20 am »

I have three Dead Islands, a Prison Architect and a Tomb Raider that I am looking to exchange for Football Manager or Torchlight II on a 1:1 basis. Figured I'd give you folks a crack at them before I liquidate my spares to buy the remainder.
... and then it explodes!

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2013, 11:37:25 am »

I have three Dead Islands, a Prison Architect and a Tomb Raider that I am looking to exchange for Football Manager or Torchlight II on a 1:1 basis. Figured I'd give you folks a crack at them before I liquidate my spares to buy the remainder.
I'll swap a Football Manager for one of your Dead Islands.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2013, 12:17:31 pm »

I've got two extra Chivalry, and 2 more KSP, in addition to a Prison Architect, if anyone is interested. I need a Dead Island, a Bioshock, a Reus, a Skyrim, and a Torchlight II.

Also, happy dance on my first foil! Bioshock infinite!

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2013, 12:18:10 pm »

Buy low sell high. Trading cards increase in value after they're no longer available. The massive amounts of cards makes Steam an interesting market. The best strategy to earn money is probably to hoard cheap cards during the summer sale and sell them a month or a year from now.

All things considered, you should probably craft all your game badges and none of the event badges. Game cards are always available, meaning they'll never go up in value; but crafting badges potentially nets you rare items. Those rare items will never be widespread on the market, so they can make some neat cash.

People will always be looking to complete their collections. The only thing stopping you will be reasonably-priced copies of your item on the market.
After a while, people might lose hope of completing a certain badge, so they might simply give up looking for a certain card, so holding up a sale's card for too long might not be a good idea.

For game cards, it only makes sense for you to craft the badge if you value the cosmetic award (or if your level is less than 10 and you want the chance to get foils, but there are other ways to gain levels). It's also probably not a good idea to sell them immediately during or after sales, when a lot of people might have gotten and played the game, getting and selling more cards.
Just to clarify, a steam level of 10 is required to find foil cards? How many badges would probably be required to get from 8 to 10, then?

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2013, 12:19:51 pm »

Buy low sell high. Trading cards increase in value after they're no longer available. The massive amounts of cards makes Steam an interesting market. The best strategy to earn money is probably to hoard cheap cards during the summer sale and sell them a month or a year from now.

All things considered, you should probably craft all your game badges and none of the event badges. Game cards are always available, meaning they'll never go up in value; but crafting badges potentially nets you rare items. Those rare items will never be widespread on the market, so they can make some neat cash.

People will always be looking to complete their collections. The only thing stopping you will be reasonably-priced copies of your item on the market.
After a while, people might lose hope of completing a certain badge, so they might simply give up looking for a certain card, so holding up a sale's card for too long might not be a good idea.

For game cards, it only makes sense for you to craft the badge if you value the cosmetic award (or if your level is less than 10 and you want the chance to get foils, but there are other ways to gain levels). It's also probably not a good idea to sell them immediately during or after sales, when a lot of people might have gotten and played the game, getting and selling more cards.
Just to clarify, a steam level of 10 is required to find foil cards? How many badges would probably be required to get from 8 to 10, then?
I doubt it. I got a foil at level 5 from making a Don't Starve badge.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2013, 12:49:21 pm »

There is no lower limit on finding foils any more, there used to be during the trading cards beta. Having a higher level gives a higher chance of a foil card dropping from a game or when opening a booster pack, but, so far as I know, there has been no confirmation of just how much of an increase.

Each 10 levels also gives you a 20% higher chance of having a booster pack drop for you if you are eligible for any booster drops, resulting in a doubled chance when you hit level 50.

Each level from 1-10 takes 100 xp so one game badge, from 11-20 takes 200 xp each so two game badges, 21-30 is 300 xp per level and so on.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2013, 02:16:46 pm »

I've yet to receive a single Booster Pack, despite having completed 22 different game drops and being level 10. (Don't look at me like that.) Have they released any more information on how Booster Packs drops are determined?
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2013, 02:21:57 pm »

I've got two extra Chivalry, and 2 more KSP, in addition to a Prison Architect, if anyone is interested. I need a Dead Island, a Bioshock, a Reus, a Skyrim, and a Torchlight II.
I'll trade you a Dead Island and Reus for a Chivalry and Prison Architect, if the offer's still open. Steam name Lectorog. Tried to search for you (My Username is Immaterial) on Steam but nothing turned up.

I've yet to receive a single Booster Pack, despite having completed 22 different game drops and being level 10. (Don't look at me like that.) Have they released any more information on how Booster Packs drops are determined?
They say "booster packs are granted randomly to eligible users as more badges are crafted by members of the community", a wonderfully unclear sentence. One interpretation is that, the longer the trading card thing is out, the more likely everyone will be to receive a booster pack.
I also have not received any, but I'm less likely than you to.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2013, 02:36:06 pm »

I need a football manager, willing to trade a KSP, Chivalry, Reus or Torchlight 2 for it. Burnt Pies on steam, can frequently be found in DFC chat.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2013, 02:44:56 pm »

I'll trade you a Dead Island and Reus for a Chivalry and Prison Architect, if the offer's still open. Steam name Lectorog. Tried to search for you (My Username is Immaterial) on Steam but nothing turned up.
It most certainly is still open. I sent a friend request, because no trading with strangers.

Edit: Also, the dwarf is still available to trade.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2013, 03:02:53 pm »

I maxed out the summer sale badge, so if you see me online check my inventory for summer sale cards and you can have your pick.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2013, 03:06:30 pm »

Dangit. What a time for me to not be able to trade.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2013, 03:11:06 pm »

Could you just use the browser? Works almost perfectly there.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2013, 03:17:58 pm »

No, I reset my password for the Steam Summer Sale so I could log onto Steam with my phone so I could vote while out and about. Unfortunately I didn't know that this entails a week or so of not being able to trade or even buy things from the market. You can buy games and stuff, but Steam treats your account like it's potentially hacked for a while.

Thankfully I get full access again on Friday, so I'll still be able to do trading and stuff before the sale ends.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8