Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 21

Author Topic: Roll to Dodge the Tyger: Turn 20: Fin  (Read 32870 times)

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Dodge the Tyger: Turn 14: GWG Was Right All Along
« Reply #255 on: August 16, 2013, 02:03:14 am »

Turn 15: Dark of the Night

[2-1] Blake berates himself for even thinking of eating someone, no matter how delicious they might turn out to be. He searches for a long time, and ends up completely lost alone in the jungle. After a few minutes he stops, hearing a crackling sound all around him as if from a fire. It clearly isn't a fire, otherwise he would see or smell it, and he is unable to figure out what it is. Until he feels a small bite on his arm, and he figures it out. It's ants, a veritable army of ants surrounding him in every direction.
[Hungry->Famished]

[3] Looking around the cave Joe is unable to find anything growing in it at all (excluding a few vines covering the entrance), perhaps if he went farther in he might find something to burn, but there isn't anything that he can see inside that would burn. Joe walks out into the rain to get enough fuel for a large fire in the cave. Sadly, it proves far harder work then he originally thought it would. A few hours pass, and at the end there is barely enough to start a small fire, much less getting him full. Meanwhile his wound continues to bleed unattended; boiling hot drops falling onto the rocks of the cave and disappearing in instants.
[-5 HP from bleeding]

[5-1] Annie swims towards the nearest solid object, a large tree jutting out of the water of the lake. She climbs up it a bit until she finds a place where she feels comfortable, and then looks around some more. At night the lake looks much more menacing, but given that nothing tried to eat her thus far, she feels like she has a pretty good chance to get to the shore without much problems, but trying during the night without light to guide her might be more trouble then its worth.
[-5 HP from bleeding]
[Hungry->Famished]
((There isn't a significant current by the way. If you go farther towards where the lake is draining into there might be, but for now at least the lake is pretty much completely placid))

[5+1] The Tiger continues wolfing down his meal, and soon the only the heart remains, saved for last.

[4] The rain seems unfazed by the change from day to night, and continues to fall steadily.
[Turbulent river removed]
Time of day: Night, 12 AM (Day in 2 turns)
Weather: Downpour
-----
Spoiler: Blake; GreatWyrmGold (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Joe Bridger; Remuthra (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Annie Marie; Lalasa (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Tiger (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 01:12:41 pm by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Dodge the Tyger: Turn 15: Dark of the Night
« Reply #256 on: August 16, 2013, 07:03:00 am »

Hm.

Eat ants. Leave anthill, go to river, wash off any ants still present. Locate some kind of edible wildlife at the river, perhaps fish or crustaceans or freshwater clams, then start a fire and cook it.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Lalasa

• Bay Watcher
  • And then there will be none
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: August 16, 2013, 04:48:06 pm »

((Or you could have just thrown me down a waterfall anyway.  Who am I kidding.  :D ))

Swimming in random directions during the night would be more trouble than its worth, but at least the currents aren't as strong as she anticipated now that the flow of water was slightly decreasing.  What wasn't decreasing was that all-permeating wet that sent small chills down her small body, and neither was her wound's blood flow.  Untrained in first aid, the girl only knew very basic techniques, and she had less than basic supplies as well giving her current location.

Annie tries to rip off a bit of shirt and stop the bleeding of her injured arm as much as she can.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 17, 2013, 11:58:37 am »

Build myself a fire. Again.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 19, 2013, 08:43:45 pm »

Turn 16: Wherin Nothing Of Any Note Happens

[4-1]Blake is about to run away from the ants, but right before he does, he realizes that he has no clue what he wants to do next.  This indecision lasts for three hours, and with a start Blake realizes that he hasn’t moved or done anything at all.

[2] Once again Joe tries to gather as much materials for a fire as possible, and once again he fails. It turns out that even in the jungle gathering materials fit for a fire is tough, especially in a drenching downpour. In fact, Joe has determined that all the nearby wood that he would use for a fire is either stuck on a tree or too wet.
[-1 to any attempt to gather materials for a fire in this area]
((Just so you know, the reason that you aren’t getting your salamander bonus is because you are trying to gather materials for the fire, not actually really trying to light a fire (well you are, but that’s a secondary action, one taking place after the first action of gathering materials). It would honestly be better to try to light the fire outside, even with the rain (especially now that the rain is so much lighter than it was a few turns ago)))
[-5 HP from bleeding]

[1] Annie grabs the bottom of her shirt, and tries to rip it off to use as a bandage. However, no matter how hard she tries she finds that she is unable to rip it off. She finally gets so frustrated that she yanks on it as hard as she can, breaking the straps off her binocular, which then falls off her neck into the water. Within a few moments it disappears entirely. She triesto see where they went, but no light escapes the black water, and she can’t tell how deep the water is at all.
[Lost binoculars]
[-5 HP from bleeding]

[1+1] The Tiger is moments away from eating the heart when he gets a stroke of bad luck; the nearby elephant which has so far decided to avoid him walks over and stomps on it. The Tiger considers getting revenge, but even it isn’t foolish enough to mess with an elephant if it can possibly be avoided.
[1] The rain continues to wind down, but despite the huge reductions in rain over the past 12 hours, the rain is still far from out completely.
-----
Time of day: Night, 3 AM (Day in 1 turns)
Weather: Rainstorm
-----

Spoiler: Blake; GreatWyrmGold (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Joe Bridger; Remuthra (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Annie Marie; Lalasa (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Tiger (click to show/hide)
-----
If everyone posts a turn in the next 13 hours, then I will write up a turn by this time tommorow.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 08:46:15 pm by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Dodge the Tyger: Turn 16: Wherin Nothing Of Any Note Happens
« Reply #260 on: August 19, 2013, 08:52:52 pm »

I thought it was pretty clear what I wanted to do...

Leave anthill, go to river, wash off any ants still present. Locate some kind of edible wildlife at the river, perhaps fish or crustaceans or freshwater clams, then start a fire and cook it.
By which I mean, do as many of the following as possible, in order mind you since they don't really make sense out of order:
1. Move away from the frikkin' anthill!
2. Locate the river.
3. Go to the river.
4. Use the river to remove any ants which are by some miracle still biting and stinging me after several hours.
5. Look for fish, crustaceans, freshwater clams, or other edible wildlife.
6. Once that's found, start a fire.
7. Cook the wildlife.
8. Eat it, 'cuz I'm hungry.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 09:15:47 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 19, 2013, 08:59:41 pm »

You were clear on what you wanted to do. However, no matter how clear you are you can't do 8 actions in one turn.

Plus, you rolled a functional 3 anyways (due to trying to navigate at night), so you weren't getting anything done anyways.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 02:10:40 pm by lemon10 »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: August 19, 2013, 09:00:12 pm »

Alright, let me rephrase my action.

...Although, a 3 wasn't enough to move away from an anthill?
Sig

Lalasa

• Bay Watcher
  • And then there will be none
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 19, 2013, 09:11:04 pm »

((Nooo, binoculars D:))

With her arm continuing to bleed, Annie could feel the vexation building up within her that she was unable to do even a simple thing such as rip a piece of shirt.  Even her binoculars were gone now, and they were handy too.  If only she had something sharp... anything at all.  Pointy objects would help her gut her fish too, but of course it was difficult to find anything in this damn bug-infested jungle.

"Ah... they're gone.  I wish I wasn't alone anymore... why did I come here?" she whispers, beginning to cry a little.  She couldn't feel the tears much anyway- her entire face was wt from the rain and the lake.

Annie tries to tear off her shirt again and apply it to her wound.  Leaving her arm continuously bleeding was the worst possible idea at the moment.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: August 19, 2013, 09:13:29 pm »

Hm... I might have slightly different roll effects then other RTD's.
1) Bad stuff happens
2) You screwed up, causing ill effects
3) You fail, causing no effects at all
4) You succeed
5) You succeed very well
6+) You succeed extremely well, with possible ill effects to you or others

I will also note that you can only get 1 (possibly 2 actions depending on what the first action was) in any given turn, so I would probably allow 1) Run away (trying to find the river). If you succeeded in that roll in such a way that it didn't take your whole turn up, then I would allow 2) Pick a random action from your exceedingly long list of actions you want to do.

EDIT: I will note that its not just a small anthill, its more of a giant army of ants in every direction. It would only take like 10 seconds to run away from them all, but its not a trivial thing by any means.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 09:15:26 pm by lemon10 »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: August 19, 2013, 09:16:52 pm »

1. Ah. Standard system is that a 2 is a typical failure while a 3 is just barely a success.

2. Wait. Turns are hours in length, and you can only do a couple things in them?
Sig

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: August 19, 2013, 10:48:06 pm »

People only get 1-2 actions because: A) Without hard limits its hard to determine exactly how many actions people get, which is bothersome. B) There is an incentive to post as many actions as possible, and people that only have 1 or 2 actions lose out, while those who post tons and tons of stuff knowing only a few things will get done benefit.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: August 20, 2013, 01:44:09 am »

Not to be smug, but ...
Subtract Dallas from thread = noncrazyness and nonnoteworthyness

I'm still watching, just wanted to point that out.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: August 20, 2013, 10:49:17 am »

I think it's gotten less noteworthy because with less people (and none of them interacting), there is less opportunity for craziness to happen.
When one more person dies, I think I'll just start up a different game, and offer to let the two survivors join that.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 20, 2013, 11:42:41 am »

I think it's gotten less noteworthy because with less people (and none of them interacting), there is less opportunity for craziness to happen.
When one more person dies, I think I'll just start up a different game, and offer to let the two survivors join that.
Quick, you three! Go out in a blaze of glory!
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 21