Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 70

Author Topic: The Lonely Prince: He Who Shall Serve  (Read 190974 times)

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Prince, Day One: A Prince walks into a bar. . .
« Reply #195 on: August 16, 2013, 12:15:18 am »

Okay as far as I can tell this is the current votes:

Okami no Rei -
Leafsnail -
Tiruin -
Lenglon -
Griffinpup - Toaster
RangerCado - notquitethere, Ottofar, Jim Groovester
Griffionday - Leafsnail,
notquitethere - Griffionday, Okami no Rei,  RangerCado
Solifuge -
Jim Groovester -
Ottofar - Solifuge
Toaster - Webadict
Webadict -

Not voting: Tiruin, Lenglon, Griffinpup

We've little more than 12 hours before the end of the day (I believe), and I'm unlikely to return before the end of the day.  Good night all, good hunting.

I'll leave an Extend, in case people decide they need it.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 16, 2013, 12:19:02 am »

Oh my god, now I am totally embarrassed.  There hasn't been a vote count in like 3 days.  I was about to do that... but thank you.

Sorry about the schlocky modding, by the way.  It's going to totally turn into sweet ass-modding ASAP and you be like "LOL, I did not know your thread could smell like such great colon :D"
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 16, 2013, 12:23:19 am »

I love you Griffy.

PFP - Will post soon as soon as emotions subside >_<

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 16, 2013, 12:27:16 am »

http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~azhou/projects/LT/vc.html

Reasonably accurate automatic vote counting. It even works with princess prefixes. Run LT if its not up to date.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(technically LS unvoted after his vote)
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 16, 2013, 12:28:17 am »

Oh, hey... are you at Berkeley?  We could consider meeting up, getting a tea or whatever.

Anyway, back to writing flavor >_>
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 16, 2013, 12:47:28 am »

((I'll be there from next week. PM me when you're available.))
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 16, 2013, 12:51:56 am »

Extend.

The "confusion" as you call it stems from the fact that I deliberately didn't follow up on your original question in this post to see if you were interested in the point or just trying to ghost your way through the first day.  You didn't follow up.  Not a flawless test of scumminess by any means, but I feel a fairly solid one on how interested you were in the question you posed me.  The fact that you didn't let it drop, but instead said "my bad, let me rephrase that" feels like a cover-up.

Wait.

What?

Trying to follow your links and your logic has left me legitimately confused about the point you're trying to make.

Yeah, Toaster is definitely scum. I don't buy his faux aggression. But if you wait long enough, he'll turn on his buddy.
But, Toaster's definitely on it. After that... I guess I've been pretty lax on who else, and on even making a case on him. I guess I feel like he's just been ignoring me this entire time. It's kinda sad.

How exactly was this determination about Toaster made?

Also, just so we're clear, your scumhunting strategy so far has been:

Vote Toaster for no reason -> Get ignored -> Conclude he's scum

This seems like some pretty limpwilly scumhunting.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 16, 2013, 01:00:03 am »

Vektor
Are there any events on at the palace (balls, hunts, banquets etc.) or are we just milling about the drawing rooms?

What is the Prince's name? What is he wearing? Does this game go until we've figured out who marries him?

Lady Griffionday sighed as she walked into the hall.  The poor castle seemed so bare an cold without the proper arrayments.  In her minds eye she could see the tapestries that must have hung on the walls, noted the absence of the rich rugs and carpets that surely had once softened the cold stone floor.  Such a shame, and such a sorry place for an engagement to take place.  Perhaps she could find the prince's man servant, and have him show her the removed decor to temporarily grace the place till whomever the prince chose could select fitting replacements. 

Possibly even this could be something all the women of the house could participate in, each selecting one piece of decor to grace the hall with, so that the prince could judge the more subtle aspects of his prospective bride, and how they will create a home for him.  Yes, this idea had merit, she would go find the prince's servant as soon as politeness allowed to suggest this course of action.

Turning to survey her fellow brides, she noted that fairness was not a quality these women pretended to, ever one of them could claim to that title.  They were truly a beautiful lot, smooth hair the color of golden wheat, rich brown, and jet black.  She caught a flash of red hair and felt a hint of envy, which she quickly smothered embarrassed that she would be so unseemly to be jealous of one of her peers.

She turned and began to mingle her way through the crowd, searching for the prince's man servant whom she might be able to convince about letting them have turns returning some decor to the castle, to better suit the festive mood such an occasion should have.

The manservant is a tall and tightlipped fellow named Horatio who, like his master, wears plain black clothing from head to foot.  He leads you to a storehouse filled with an array of oddities: candelabras, rugs, tapestries, paintings, books both printed and illuminated, desks.  They are as diverse a collection as any young lady might hope to see in her future home in all manner of colors and styles; an overbearing heap of richness.

"These were his brother's things, and his uncle's before, and his father's before that," quoth Horatio.  "Do what you will."

As you look through them, marveling, considering, the Prince appears at the door.  Beside Horatio, they are as twin shadows.

"Oh," he says.  "Milady.  I see that you--I was looking for Horatio, here."

He swallows.

"Well.  Carry--carry on then.  I shall speak with him later.  Do not tarry too much, however, as we must plan tonight's feast."

He smiles charmingly, reflexively, and departs.

"Anon, fair Sigfred," intones Horatio, before turning his gaze again to you.  There is something hard and analytical in it, but not unfriendly--merely careful.

The Day ends in 13 hours.  Two votes out of four for an extension until Tuesday received.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 16, 2013, 01:02:42 am »

Extend

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 16, 2013, 01:09:22 am »

extend And if your talking about Berkley California, I was there about a month ago, nice place. :)
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 16, 2013, 01:12:09 am »

Extension until 12:00 GMT-8 Tuesday granted.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 16, 2013, 03:32:32 am »

Princess Okami
Princess Okami
I'd almost forgotten you were playing. Do you have a compelling case on anyone yet?
1. I fear I have no case of my own, though I must admit that the one on you,  Princess notquitethere, is rather compelling. 

To follow up, what is your wincon?
2. Getting that particular trap out of the way, are you?

even when I deeply distrust someone I still tend to view their actions charitably until given overwhelming reason not to. That might not gel with your own mafia philosophy.
3. Do you think this philosophy is beneficial to your play?  Why can't/won't you adopt a more cynical attitude while playing?
1. Compelling in what way? In your own words can you describe what the case against me is? This rather strikes me as a lazy vote in response to being prodded for inactivity.

2. I'm not sure what your point is here. Explain how this is to my benefit if I am scum, with reference to the claim I make to Griffionday below.

3. Cynicism is rank sentimentality: whilst the sentimental ignore all but an insipidly positive, cynics see only the negative. I just try to be fair and I try not to blow up little things bigger than they are and I tend to change my mind when I'm presented with good reason to. Whilst I always lose mafia, I don't think it's because I refuse to willfully misinterpret others in the worst possible light.

Lady Griffionday
Firstly, please stop directly contradicting yourself in the same post, it's rather poor form.
Obviously, if the player isn't scum you won't draw anything of use out of someone.
-snip-
Neither: asking people's wincons sometimes brings surprising results. Currently, in the Witch game Tiruin spilled out that she was a third-party and wasn't actually directly interested in hunting that game's equivelant of scum.
Okay, in the first statement, I should have said 'not town' rather than 'scum'.

The fact that you didn't let it drop, but instead said "my bad, let me rephrase that" feels like a cover-up.
Sorry, the fact that I admitted my wrongdoing and did what I should have done in the first place is a cover-up? What should I have done? Say, "Well there was a question I was going to ask you, but you know, never mind"?

On that note why are you so focused on playing better now?  If you're not feeling pressure from me why does my vote and discussion seem to have kicked you back into playing better?  Or are you merely trying to take advantage of the fact that Bay12 Mafia seems to primarily vote for whoever is playing the worst the first day, rather than who's been the scummiest?
An interesting supposition but it's plain to see why I would be focused on trying to play better. I make no secret of the fact that I always lose. Not 'often lose' or 'usually lose', but with mafia (ignoring one non-mafia Revolution game), I have a 100% lose record over about a dozen games. Understandably, I'm interested in playing better.

Let's test this theory: What is your win condition?
I'll have to paraphrase it: I'm a townie and I win when the prince is threatened no longer. For some indeed, asking my wincon may have been enlightening.

Princess griffinpup
NQT: What is the most reliable scumtell?
I missed this because you'd asked me two separate RVS questions at different points in the same post (your only post). I know that you were away for a bit and I'm willing to cut you a bit of slack, but this is ridiculous. The most reliable scumtell is when a player is completely unengaged with the game and is uninterested in scumhunting. Your going through the motions griffinpup, ghosting through. Now we've got an extension I want to see some sign that you've actually read the thread and are interested in rooting out the scum.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 16, 2013, 07:02:50 am »

Yeah, Toaster is definitely scum. I don't buy his faux aggression. But if you wait long enough, he'll turn on his buddy.
But, Toaster's definitely on it. After that... I guess I've been pretty lax on who else, and on even making a case on him. I guess I feel like he's just been ignoring me this entire time. It's kinda sad.

How exactly was this determination about Toaster made?

Also, just so we're clear, your scumhunting strategy so far has been:

This seems like some pretty limpwilly scumhunting.
Well, I was going to post something about it... but then I realized I was basing this off of a post I don't know how I took wrong... I don't even know. I guess I'm not really paying good enough attention.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 16, 2013, 02:04:02 pm »

Wuba:

Hm?

Griffinpup:
Otto:
Do you like goldfish? (lolololololol)

I almost let your rather late set of RVS questions slide until I hit this one.

Don't you think it is rather late for RVS?  Do you truly see nothing else in this game that is worthy of mention by you?

If this is what you mean, then I think the two of us have different definitions of "aggression."

So who do you really suspect, anyway?

My policy- for quite some time- toward out of the blue D1 votes with no reason or question attached is to ignore them.

This game's had quite the slow start.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 16, 2013, 02:05:43 pm »

Extension until 12:00 GMT-8 Tuesday granted.
Thank you Vector, I'm really unsure if I'm able in anyway to post today.

Sorry. Personal issues + work. Gloomy day ahead.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 70