Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: Crazy D&D Stories  (Read 51596 times)

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
Re: Crazy D&D Stories
« Reply #120 on: August 18, 2013, 02:08:07 pm »

I remember GMing a D&D campaign once. 3.5e, good times. We played over the internet, with Maptools.

The players went into this ruined city, and went into the mage guild. The aboveground building was destroyed (by the dragon that destroyed the rest of the town), but the belowground stuff is all intact, so they head downstairs. So I describe the room for them: doors here and here, floors made of this stone, some flavour-text hanging from the walls, etc. And a big, person-size cauldron in the corner, filled with lots of magic.

FRIGGIN' LOTS of random magic, i.e. pretty much every spell that can be cast by someone in the mage guild. There's so much magic in this pot that the group's wizard had to roll a will save against damage when he used Detect Magic on it. So the Sorcerer...

Sorcerer: "I'm going to bottle some of it up!"
GM: "Okay. I think you've used a potion in the last fight, so you have a bottle... Uh, roll a Dex check to scoop it up without getting any on yourself."
Sorcerer: *rolls* "I got... uh, three."
GM: "Well... dammit. I don't have a table for something like this. I suppose I could just count the number of entries in the Wizard Spell List in the SRD and roll on that, but that's gonna be kinda pedestrian... gimme a sec."

So I went on the internet, and Googled something to the effect of "table of random effects" and found one with a thousand entries on it. I read the first five or so, looked somewhat interesting without anything too out-of-universe (i.e. nothing involving, say, spaceships), so I rolled a digital d1000 and...

GM: *rolls* ...Oh my god.
Players: "What? What happened?"
GM: "He... Turns into a Tonka truck."
Players:  :P
Sorcerer: "...Crap. Can I still cast spells?"
GM: "Strictly speaking yes, but you can't use somatic or semantic components, so most of your spells are uncastable."
Sorcerer: "Can I still use Supernatural Abilities granted by feats?"
GM: "Um..." *checks* "Yes. But which- oh. Oh gods " :P
Sorcerer: "YES! I GET TO BE A FIREBREATHING TONKA TRUCK!"

I think he actually got a couple kills in that state, too.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 18, 2013, 09:18:45 pm »

oh hey I remember firebreathing tonka truck. That was wonderful.

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
« Reply #122 on: August 19, 2013, 05:31:09 am »

On topic: I was GMing a one-person campaign for my father (...), he begins hitting on the female orc that runs it.
My father hitting on my NPCs or me in turn hitting on my son's NPCs in an actual D&D game would make me deeply, deeply uncomfortable.

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
« Reply #123 on: September 15, 2013, 09:19:58 am »

-Snip!-

I love it. Really, while the occasional rule-heavy, realistic campaign is dandy, I really enjoy hearing about stories like this. So long as everyone is having fun, it's a success, rules be damned. Here's to hoping your sister will be up for more in the future!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]