Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: Crazy D&D Stories  (Read 51616 times)

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
Re: Crazy D&D Stories
« Reply #75 on: July 10, 2013, 12:32:10 pm »

I remember one of my early long-running campaigns. I was playing an elven druid/Master of Many Forms, and towards the end of the campaign (IIRC) we fought a dire shark.

I got the idea to let the shark eat me and then Wild Shape into a scrag to give it internal damage from the rapidly expanding food. This didn't work, so I just tore my way out. This lead to me getting shot by one of my friends (seeing as this was the first time I had ever Wild Shaped).

I didn't get XP for my crazy plan, distracting/attacking the shark, or getting shot.
Well wouldn't you shoot if something terrifying clawed its way out of something terrifying?
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

zombie killer

• Bay Watcher
  • mwuahahahahhaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 11, 2013, 03:01:42 pm »

i have been gaming for some time, and the only good story i can think of is the one below. time to make a character with the sole design of producing these stories.

the only really interesting story i can think of happened in a gaming group a while back. we were on a tower, in a boss fight, and i had a multiclassed ranger/ rogue, and did not focus my character too well, so i was not doing damage very often. so, i did what anyone would do: i looked at my character's equipment, and saw a thunderstone. i think the enemy was a spellcaster, although i am not sure now, but i threw the stone at the wall, only getting myself and the boss in the range of the effect. the boss made the save, so was not deafened, but i falied. that pissed the boss off, so the boss used a spell on me. the boss chose a spell like charm person, or something, but since my character was deafened, the boss could not tell my character what to do. so, by deafening himself, my character negated what was probably one of the aces that the enemy had.

I'd settle for capitalization. although all lower case seems to be zk's thing.
thank you and have a nice day!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #77 on: July 12, 2013, 11:22:36 am »

Let's start out with the first real GURPS game we ever played. Everyone made a "superhero" character with extremely limited point value- essentially, a lower than level-one character in DnD terms. Nonetheless, we had remarkable "powers".

I'm not sure where to begin; the most horrifying character was certainly a Blind Dwarf Jackson. His player minmaxed a seduction-based character with the natural physical appeal of a fetid cesspit. He was Ambassador to the United States from the secret Antarctic Kingdom of the Mole People, and was blind, obese, horrifically ugly, covered in hair, had a disturbing voice, and had so much skill in diplomacy and seduction that he was still ungodly capable of seduction. He was also the only PC with any significant quantity of wealth.

My character was also minmaxed... in a sense. GURPS has advantages that allow your character to become essentially immortal, regenerating after death. Naturally, it's extremely expensive. Walker, as I named my character, was weak, sickly, and deeply cursed to the point where the rules explicitly stated that the GM could smite him at will with no justification at all. However, within about seven seconds, he would re-appear somewhere unobtrusive nearby. Similarly, his corpses had a habit of dematerializing when not being directly observed. The backstory was that sometime in the middle of America's history, Walker was a regular teenage runaway working with a travelling carnival. Figuring it was time to move on, he broke into the Gypsy fortune teller's wagon and stole some jewellery... incidentally knocking over a tarot deck, revealing the Death card. Naturally, by the next day, the Gypsy had put a curse on him to suffer infinite deaths. Gypsies are the most powerful things in the universe in this setting.

Then there was the most overtly superhero-like character... I forget is normal name, but his battle cry and adopted hero name was Ukrainium. He was a soviet iron worker and pit fighter who volunteered to help control the Chernobyl meltdown... despite his total lack of knowledge of nuclear processes. He ended up falling into the reactor chamber and being sealed in. Decades later, he wakes up and discovers that he is, apparently, made of solid uranium. Interestingly, this is one case where comic book physics involve fewer explosions that reality, as a human body-sized mass of uranium would spontaneously explode. As Ukrainium learned to control his powers, he found he could transform from human to uranium form at will, but depended on frequent "meals" of radioactive material. We later determined that, to give him a realistic mass alone, he'd need hundreds of points spent on hit points. His radioactive aura in Uranium mode was easily the most powerful attack any PC possessed, but it was also the most dangerous to the other PCs. Like Walker and several other PCs, he was a vagabond wanderer, or, in other words, a bum.

Our first adventure saw us exploring a mysterious candy factory. Our tour guide sicked his workers- teams of spray-tanned midgets from New Jersey- onto us. Notably, everything they used was made from terrible, terrible candy, including the guns.

We finally caught up with the candy man in his office, and the fight was short and efficient. We subdued him, Ukranium punched him in the knee, and then went radioactive and hurled the candy maker into a pool of chocolate. The last we saw of the villain, he was sucked up a pipe into the depths of the factory. We ended up taking his gun and the multiple bags of cocaine in his possession and returning to the streets.

I might add that Walker's first actual adventure was a test run which pitted him against three cats. The cats killed him twice.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 12, 2013, 06:37:43 pm »

Walker: Best suicide bomber ever. Also, that radiation aura wouldn't be too bad for him.

And spray-tanned midget candy workers. That is awesome.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 14, 2013, 07:09:25 am »

All of this is awesome. I'm still mining that story of the morally dubious d&d businessman. Finished, it's fucking ridiculously awesome.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 11:35:25 am by Novel Scoops »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 17, 2013, 11:00:14 am »

Just gonna borrow this thread then if thats alright, I feel that starting a new one wouldn't cut it...

So as some might have noticed, I DM for a couple of Friends and have just gotten into Pathfinder. Being a DM is hard as many who also do so can vouch for. BUT What I want to know is if I am making the combat side to easy for my players...

We have just started the Kingmaker Adventure Path, have a party of 3 atm with another coming soonish I think. In the very start there is this one major combat possible scene where the players can ambush 4 Bandits. I let them plan and plan and when they had a good set up we went with it. The Party Consisted of a Cleric with Charm Person readied, a Ranger with Point Blank Shot, and a Fighter with a GreatAxe and a huge amount of BAB making him hit for at min, +7 or so...

Anyway, their plan was simple, shut the gates behind to prevent escape, shoot from walls with the Crossbow and Charm one of the Bandits to "remove" him from the fight and perhaps another. Anyway the way I had the bandits going was a step by step moment of their actions in their event, letting the players decide when to strike. With the Bandits I rolled their health to make them slightly different from on another for differences, simple discriptions to, a Scrawny Fella with 5hp, 2 Bulky Meatsheild guys with around 10-14 hp and the Boss with 12. Now the Boss had AlchemFire...

So the Idea was that the Bulky Guys did their job of loading 2 Packhorses with the shit they were stealing, the scrawny fella keeping watch while the boss handled watching and demonizing the NPCs they were stealing from. As you would expect. Annoyingly they didn't actually give me time to actually get the scene going after the inital setup before they sprung into action, moments after one of the bulky guys enter the storeroom to collect the goods...

The Ranger had placed himself in a perfect location though, due to being high on the wall and the Bandits not actually expecting anyone there he had a high Stealth Chance meaning he was unseen, the Fighter too on the otherside of the gate quickly climbed down the 6foot drop safely due to Climb being Str and not effected by his armour, and closed the gate. The Ranger took a Shot at the Scrawny guy and got a Instakill, dealing over 5dmg with his Pointblank shot. The Cleric bust out of the Stables near the bandits, got the DC to Charm the Bulky guy outside the room and had him hold the door closed to the Storeroom...

I had the Bandit Boss turn around an lob a Firebomb at the Cleric, which hit taking a huge hunk out of the Clerics health, the choice was because he had placed himself behind the horse on the map and the firebomb was a lob arch thing so yeah. With the Cleric on fire the Fight Charges the Bandit Boss, a Combat Manuver that allows him to move at double his speed and attack at the end with an AoO as the counter to it, in a straight line too, which there was...

Natural 20........ With a GreatAxe.... 12dmg straight up... He didn't get the bonus Crit damage but it was already enough, Bandit Boss dead...

The Cleric went next and tried to put himself out, failed, then called for help from the Charmed Bandit, which not being a Counter Intuitive command, he obeyed. This Let out the Trapped Bandit, The Charmed one failed his save roll, and his help roll, but I had the Trapped bandit stumble out and waste a turn shoving his "friend" for locking him in, before he finally noticed the attack and damage around him. Cause yeah, kinda makes sense. The Shove "hit" so the pushed Bandit fell onto the cleric who was rolling around trying to put out the fire. Thought why not and rolled anouhter extinguish check cause big body landing on top of fire would put it out, it did...

The Fighter Came up and decided to Grapple (cringe) the previously Trapped Bandit and began to pummel his face in with his fists. He also asked about if he could go "Bloodlust" whenever he rolled a Crit, meaning that he would Grapple the nearest badguy and pummel him for the fact that he removed himself from useful combat/plans with the others, I thought this would be fantastic, spent the last few days figuring out the Grappling Ruleset (cringe again)...

The Charm Bandit makes his save rolls, realizes how fucked he is and tries and bugs out. The Players looking at the 'board' notice that the NPC Ally is near a door where he had locked himself in after the ambush started and started yelling out, which as timing would allow, was when the retreating Bandit was passing it. They eventually Kill him because not only was the Halforc fighter still pummeling to death the other guy, but the Ranger is kinda that Idiot friend. You know the one, doesn't shut up and does stuff for no reason against all reason...

Exhaustion from some screwed up Sleep Patterns was catching up to me, so I had to end it there, with the Dwarven Ranger and Human Cleric trying to pull the HalfOrc "Bloodlusted" Fighter off the Bandit to capture him for Interrogation....

So yeah...

Sounds fun, but it lasted a very short amount of actions, too easy for Level Ones or just right???
Also Dajavu while righting that last bit...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 20, 2013, 10:50:29 am »

Happened to me in The Black Eye:

We (me and two other players, the other half of the group somehow wasn't there) finally got to the evil wizard's tower (all while aging at an alarming rate), and are attacked by two skeletons -which we cannot possibly defeat. They're slow, however, so we just run around. We get to a room that has a rotten staircase going up and a rotten ladder going down. The other two ascend the stairs, only I crash through, am hit by a skeleton, jump down the hole, and spend the rest of the campaign unconcious and with three HP. The other two then encounter the wizard - who they, again, only have a very slim chance of defeating. Wizard gives a small speech, then proceeds to attack them.

Our DM rolls.
Our DM rolls again.
Our DM rolls, finishing the wizard's skill check, and starts to chuckle.
Our DM rolls the for damage, and starts laughing incredibly hard.

"The wizard goes up in flames."

Twenty points of damage on a critically failed roll - yeah, we won the campaign without defeating a single real enemy.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 20, 2013, 11:24:52 am »

Pathfinder campaign with a few people from Forum Games and Roleplaying.

The party is walking down a staircase in darkness, and there's some sticky, black substance dripping from the ceiling, covering the walls and pooled on the steps.

DM asks to make sure nobody's holding any torches or lanterns or anything.

Cue one person - "I light a lantern."

And then the staircase burst into flames and everyone fell down the stairs. Unfortunate me went down to -3 HP from the fire and the fall, and everyone else went down to around ~2-4 health.
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 20, 2013, 12:49:24 pm »

BUT What I want to know is if I am making the combat side to easy for my players...

a Fighter with a Greataxe and a huge amount of BAB making him hit for at min, +7 or so...

Sounds fun, but it lasted a very short amount of actions, too easy for Level Ones or just right???
Were you playing D&D 3.5? The fighter should only have 1 BAB at level 1. Are you confusing BAB with his total attack bonus? Either way, every version of D&D has low level and high level rocket tag. At low levels nobody has the HP to survive a solid hit from a two handed weapon, and at high levels nobody has the ability to withstand two disintegrates, a summoned Balor, and a flesh to stone all at once. If a party wins initiative at level 1, they're going to win. I might recommend having them taken by surprise sometime, but don't get too wacky with it or you'll risk killing everyone before they can move.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 20, 2013, 01:00:57 pm »

BUT What I want to know is if I am making the combat side to easy for my players...

a Fighter with a Greataxe and a huge amount of BAB making him hit for at min, +7 or so...

Were you playing D&D 3.5? The fighter should only have 1 BAB at level 1. Are you confusing BAB with his total attack bonus? Either way, every version of D&D has low level and high level rocket tag. At low levels nobody has the HP to survive a solid hit from a two handed weapon, and at high levels nobody has the ability to withstand two disintegrates, a summoned Balor, and a flesh to stone all at once. If a party wins initiative at level 1, they're going to win. I might recommend having them taken by surprise sometime, but don't get too wacky with it or you'll risk killing everyone before they can move.
Sorry I ment that he gained a huge bonus onto the BAB due to strength modifier.
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 20, 2013, 01:01:56 pm »

My first session in more than a year was last night. Nothing too crazy happened, but it's a brand new campaign.

It's a "horror" campaign in GURPS. The characters so far are as follows:
  • Ranger Rick - a park ranger who, while he doesn't believe in the supernatural, knows about several of the horrific murders that took place in the forest we're investigating
  • Dr. October - a lame psychic who hates cars, must murder once a year, and is going to trek through the forest in a black suit and tie
  • Harry Weiner (pronounced "whiner") - the opposite of a skeptic, believes everything he hears and writes books about all things supernatural. Frizzy hair, always wears a bow tie and suspenders. Inspiration was the Ancient Aliens guy
  • Joseph Hawkins (played by myself) - a hardline skeptic of all things supernatural. He investigates various locations, including "supernatural" ones, for his vlog and makes good money doing it, but he knows it's all fake. The only relatively normal guy in the group

When I heard horror, I assumed it would be relatively straight and planned accordingly. So far, it's got the makings of a supernatural comedy. Potential for hilarity is high with this one.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 01:05:42 pm by Mephisto »

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 20, 2013, 01:15:38 pm »

the opposite of a skeptic, believes everything he hears
I believe the word you are looking for is Gullible... Also did you know that Gullible was removed from the Dictionary for a few months around a decade???

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 20, 2013, 01:33:22 pm »

I believe the word you are looking for is Gullible... Also did you know that Gullible was removed from the Dictionary for a few months around a decade???

Gullible doesn't really fit. He believes in every supernatural legend, myth, etc, but he's not atypically gullible in other areas.. To me, it feels different. More like a delusion.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 20, 2013, 01:53:06 pm »

I was going to ask why they did that, but then I realized what you did there.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 20, 2013, 04:51:50 pm »

Just throwing it out there, I'm currently playing through the Temple of the Fiscally Irresponsible Elves.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9