Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Crazy D&D Stories  (Read 51617 times)

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
Re: Crazy D&D Stories
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2013, 05:20:07 am »

The DM made him roll twice, once for the dismount and once for the landing. Hilarity ensued when he scored a 20, then a 1.

FTFY
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2013, 05:24:20 am »

Ptw.

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2013, 09:15:10 am »

I only recently got into D&D (within the last year - I'm 29) so I feel like I missed so much.

During my first campaign, my group was exploring a dungeon when we discovered a room full of stone gargoyles. Previously we had encountered some that had came to life, so we all readied our attack actions and rolled at once as part of some coordinated strike. We all rolled nat 20's. My DM was quite floored, and since we had been playing a very religious campaign, she had each of our divine beings appear in front of us and smite the whole lot of enemies. At that point the holy symbols we wore began to glow for the rest of the campaign.

I'm the Paladin because LAWFUL GOOD = YES

Later in that campaign, we were about to clear out a cave of kobolds, and as a joke we touched our holy symbols together. Our DM made her DM roll and hit a nat 20, so she had an epic holy beam of amazing holy righteousness shoot into the cave and instantly kill everything inside. Except one kobold who ran outside and threw himself upon our mercy. We naturally took him with us, and eventually we trained him enough to become our Keep Commander.

Twas a silly place.

Sinlessmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • [Trollinging Intensifies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2013, 09:32:21 am »

PTW

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2013, 10:28:37 am »

[snap]
This is why you need one of the party's character to multi-class Bard, and spread the prophecy of the alliance of your 3 gods eradicating every evil creature in the world ! :D

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2013, 11:42:12 am »

I was DM playing the 3rd edition, i was more into narrative gameplay than pure dicevs hit point system, i was always happy to encourage out-of-the-box thinking.

Whole team felt asleep due to the rogue missing a trap, the barbarian made his roll to wake up early due to his huge constitution, he was in a hallway between 2 orcs, one in front one in the back, being hauled by theme tied to a big branch just hard enough to support his big weight.

So he wake up and ask me do i feel strong enough to jump? After some rolls yes he doe and he tells me: " I jump the highest possible bend my knee so when i fall back the branch crash on them and break under my own weight.

Me: Well you made it, while the orcs complain on their elbow injury you break the branch but you are still tied to it.

Him: I take the branch on my left hand with my right one and i try to stab the closest orc with it.

Me: Critical, killed on the spot, the other one charge at you with his sword drawn.

Him: If i fall on the ground and try to keep the brach up, would it impale him should he fall on me?

Me: Yes.

Him: I will do so and as he get closer i will push his tibia with my feets to make him trip.

Me: *roll dice again* Success he fall and impale himself on your branch.

That man was lucky everything he did succeeded, sure i gave him some slack on difficulty since it was funny and a bit out-of-the-box, but that slack helped him just once and was on the first jump all the other roll was always over 14...
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Azurestrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2013, 03:41:12 pm »

We all rolled nat 20's. My DM was quite floored, and since we had been playing a very religious campaign, she had each of our divine beings appear in front of us and smite the whole lot of enemies. At that point the holy symbols we wore began to glow for the rest of the campaign.

Later in that campaign, we were about to clear out a cave of kobolds, and as a joke we touched our holy symbols together. Our DM made her DM roll and hit a nat 20, so she had an epic holy beam of amazing holy righteousness shoot into the cave and instantly kill everything inside. Except one kobold who ran outside and threw himself upon our mercy. We naturally took him with us, and eventually we trained him enough to become our Keep Commander.

Twas a silly place.

Your DM is a great one, never let her go.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2013, 03:55:27 pm »

While not really a gameplay story per say (mostly due to not having anyone to play D&D with me).

Ages ago i ran across 2 special custom spells that i just cannot forget every time i think of D&D.

1 - Seagulls Curse
The afflicted character WILL get shat on EVERY bird in the vincinity for 1 year.
The only counter to this curse is using an umbrella.

2 - Toy (requires a high quality toy to cast).
The afflicted will get swarmed by all children that can see him for the next several months.
The children act somewhat naturally asking for candy, hugs, ETC.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2013, 04:00:18 pm »

While not really a gameplay story per say (mostly due to not having anyone to play D&D with me).

Ages ago i ran across 2 special custom spells that i just cannot forget every time i think of D&D.

1 - Seagulls Curse
The afflicted character WILL get shat on EVERY bird in the vincinity for 1 year.
The only counter to this curse is using an umbrella.

2 - Toy (requires a high quality toy to cast).
The afflicted will get swarmed by all children that can see him for the next several months.
The children act somewhat naturally asking for candy, hugs, ETC.
This... This is amazing.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2013, 04:34:14 pm »

I got my entire party and a white dragon killed by using the Diplomacy skill and rolling a natural 20 while trying to negotiate with the white dragon for the release of some hostages and instead managing to get an attack of opportunity against the dragon. The DM was an asshole and I left the group after that.

Also...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2013, 04:51:03 pm »

I am aware that it is crazy long, but this is the most amazing D&D story that I have ever heard.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2013, 05:11:09 pm »

Sigh, all this just makes me miss DnD.

Last time I played, I was DMing a survival horror interdimensional mansion that abducts people.  I made people play some random guards for the first 15 minutes that get abducted and then have a fight in the first room (most of them died, plus some other random npcs) and slowly re-introduced survivors when they were playing.  I think there was 2 PC deaths in that campaign... and a fun scenario of rolling tables up to doors to block a horde of skeletons trying to come / crawl in under the old doors.

To take a break from just fighting undead, I would gate in other random things as well using the dimensional abduction mechanic.  I had a safe-room as well, with a warding mechanism that one player almost screwed up completely and nearly killed everyone (said safe room was full of undead adventurer ghosts, plus a few of the survivor guards).  Had a lot of fun with custom monsters too, and combining various undead (and those hand critters were pretty awesome lining the walls / jumping out at people).

Anyway, ended eventually when they rescued a gnome from a horde of zombies in the courtyard, barricaded themselves in a random room they found with a magic grandfather clock, which warped them thru history into a war zone after a few critical successes tinkering with it. 
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2013, 05:15:30 pm »

Hmmm... dungeons and dragons murder mystery? interesting.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2013, 05:18:05 pm »

I have a few entertaining stories, all from the same campaign. Nothing crazy, nothing game-ending, but nevertheless.

As one of the first challenges, my players had to survive a realistic desert - and were close to failing the extended skill challenge. Halfway through, one of the players asked for a new character. I let them know, in a lot of detail, that his previous guy has gone into a coma from the heat, and in the dark of the night, had his brain eaten out by an enterprising scorpion. The players were much more careful about deaths from there on.

Later, they had to face a series of "divine challenges" to prove their worth. The penultimate challenge? An illusory Hydra. When the players saw it, they swore at me colourfully for making them face a hydra. They spent about half an hour trying to find clever ways to defeat it... until they realized that it wasn't real. At which point it dissapeared, to their chagrin.

As a bonus, the hydra was "held" in place by a giant chain. Obviously, one of them asks what the chain is made from. Pure gold, of course. So he asks to climb it (succeeds checks), hacks off a piece (succeeds more checks)... and is then struck with a curse of greed, to never let go of a piece of gold the size of a chair. He babied that thing for the rest of the campaign.

Later, divine challenge completed, they had to descend from a terrible, snow-covered mountain. Somebody rolled a 1 on balance, and their horse broke a leg. The cleric decided to heal... and rolled a 1. The consensus was that she snapped the leg off, and started beating the horse with it yelling "HEAL! HEAL!" Her healing skills weren't trusted since.
This one gets quoted to this day :)

My final tidbit was in a major dungeon encounter with gnolls and their advanced kindred (4th ed). I had a certain necromancer thing summoning gnoll bone golems (the name evades me) endlessly. One of the players has been playing WoW for years, and was playing a Defender character (Warden). So he figures "It's the boss, I will charge it!!!!1" and he did. Well, he was promptly mobbed with 8 enemies that were gathering up, and torn apart. For effect, I had the minions pause for two turns to completely destroy his corpse, and eat chunks of eat. He was... appalled.

I have a lot of fun with my players. Right now I am in a long-term planning process for a long campaign inspired by roguelikes, survival horror and the Lord of Madness book from 3rd ed. There will be mutations, madness, and confusing puzzles. Set in the Underdark with occassional corrupt politics aboveground, it will feature several horrible creatures from that delightful book, as well as an elder Aboleth. It will be glorious.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 05:20:10 pm by CognitiveDissonance »
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2013, 05:23:52 pm »

The consensus was that she snapped the leg off, and started beating the horse with it yelling "HEAL! HEAL!"
Sigg'd
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9