Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14

Author Topic: Stalker – Community RPG Game  (Read 26663 times)

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stalker – Community RPG Game
« Reply #120 on: July 27, 2013, 11:16:38 am »

TURN 03 - Alexei

1) Ask the hotel concierge if they have any private tour guides on staff I can hire for several hours. If the rates are reasonable, hire one and take him with me. While we walk, chat with him for useful information and current events.

The lady on the front desk smiles as Alexei approaches again.  She thinks about his request and leaves to ask her manager.  Alexei waits in the empty lobby, then she returns wearing a thick coat and fur hat.  "I'll be your guide, Mr. Konovalov, if that is suitable for you?"

2) Since apparently it's snowing outside, go to my room, get my duster and hat.

Alexei agrees, tells her to wait and fetches his duster and fedora.  They leave walking side by side.  On the way to the store, Alexei asks about the latest news and gossip.  Charisma 1.  Alexei looks like a perfect gentleman in his hat with umbrella shielding them from the snow.  She introduces herself, her name is Yumiko Asakura.  As they walk slowly, she talks of some attacks that have happened recently in homes in the borderlands.  She is safe because she lives in the city, but her mother and aunt live Ebetsu where two or three have been killed.  The news reports give no details she says, but everyone knows it is something from the Zone.  Some people say it's a Replica of an old woman from Ebetsu, but other's say it's an Inorganical monster.  She hopes Alexei will be safe in the Zone.

3) Head to outdoor supply shop. Purchase following:

Backpack (frameless): $150
5 units of Beef jerky: $25
2 cans of food: $10
20 Steel nuts: $10
Water bottle: $25
Sleeping bag: $250
Hiking boots: $180
Rain poncho: $25
Lighter: $50

Subtotal: $725. I assume they'll take ₯72,500 yen.

Examine the "winter clothes." What's included?

Inquire about
 * duck tape
 * can opener
 * mylar blankets
 * survival knife (sturdy, not one of those flimsy ones with stuff in the handle)
 * spool of string (something like this)

Walk and shop briskly I have a lot to take care of before I get to sleep.

Alexei buys everything with the minimum of fuss, Yumiko translates for him.

The Winter Clothes are bulky, synthetic fiber padded jacket and trousers that are water resistant.  They have many pockets and toggles.  Very practical.

Duck Tape $10 a roll
Can opener $5
Space blanket $20
The survival knives in this store are all a bit flimsy.  Best Chain Store Survival Knife $100
String $5
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

DaveTheGrave

• Bay Watcher
  • Dave The Avatarless, Master of Comebacks
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 27, 2013, 11:25:54 am »

Put the boots on,and put sneakers into backpack.
"Thanks, uh?"
After receiving his name, he thanks him properly, and walks out of the store to the entrance of the store.

Walk to the nightclub.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 27, 2013, 03:41:50 pm »

Alexei

Duck Tape $10 a roll
Can opener $5
Space blanket $20
The survival knives in this store are all a bit flimsy.  Best Chain Store Survival Knife $100
String $5

Pass on the knife, then, They'll have knives at the gun store.

buy
(2) rolls of duck tape: $20
Cap opener $5
(5) space blankets $50
roll of string $5

The Winter Clothes are bulky, synthetic fiber padded jacket and trousers that are
water resistant.  They have many pockets and toggles. Very practical.

Hmm. I'd rather not buy it, but when a GM makes this many references to cold:

The weather outside is around freezing and snowing lightly.
The Zone is cold
You will need stuff to stay warm
snow on the sidewalk
the cold air
in the snow and ice
The cold is biting
she returns wearing a thick coat and fur hat
shielding them from the snow.

...one begins to wonder if it might be best to take the hint. Thing is, between three layers (shirt + vest + jacket) on my suit, plus the already waterproof ankle-length duster, plus boots, gloves, hat and umbrella...from the descriptions I've seen (still don't know what Kasumi is wearing, but I've seen sweaters and hoodies on others) I'm already the most warmly dressed member of the party. If I get cold...odds are good everyone else is freezing, and we'll have to stop and camp anyway. Or improvise with mylar and duck tape. If we duck tape sheets of mylar between the inner and outer layers of clothing, we're probably good down to any temperature we can safely breathe in.

Meh.

Buy the winter clothes, a spare frameless backpack and sleeping bag, and have them delivered to the hotel.

Head to gun club next

Continue chatting up Miss Asakura

She hopes Alexei will be safe in the Zone.

"I appreciate that you're so concerned about me."

some attacks that have happened recently in homes in the borderlands

"What happened? What sort of injuries on the dead?"

As they walk slowly, she talks of some attacks that have happened recently in homes in the borderlands. She
is safe because she lives in the city, but her mother and aunt live Ebetsu where two or three have been killed.

"Your family lives in the borderland? That must be very difficult."

Incidentally, is this the same girl who gave me her room key earlier?

Also, try as I might, and even on 200% zoom-in I am unable to read some of the text on the map. Only nine locations are itemized in turn 3, but I count 11 text labels on the map besides the hotel, park and subway. What are the other two locations?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 27, 2013, 06:51:49 pm »

The cashier charges Corban $1310 for the goods bought and $20 for a space blanket that he goes to fetch.  There is too much to put in the travel backpack so Corban has to carry things in bags in each hand (the boots and sleeping bag, etc.).

Speaking to the staffer [Japanese]Thanks.

I'd like to hail a taxi in order to take things back to the hotel, and chat to the driver on the way to see if they know much about the Zone, because I imagine they'd get to talk to lots of different types of people in their line of work.

I'd like to ask the driver to wait while I drop off everything I just bought in my room and then proceed to the gun shop, continuing to find out things about the area from the driver.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 27, 2013, 09:44:17 pm »

Purchase the following:

Rain poncho
Binoculars
Climbing irons
Rope, 30m
Compass
Sleeping bag
Mess kit
Backpack (frameless)
Lighter
Winter clothes
Electric torch
Water bottle
Can opener
3 x Beef Jerky
2 x Canned Food

Then head to the hotel with everything and put it all in my room, grab the rest of my money and head to the Electronic Store and see what's in stock that I could use in the Zone.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 28, 2013, 08:40:13 am »

-- Redacted for sheer stupidity --
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 09:07:16 am by hermes »
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 28, 2013, 09:06:40 am »

Walk to the nightclub.
The gun club

I think he meant Pazu's Nightclub.

:D

Oh my!  Thanks, I've been typing at my laptop all evening.  Time for a break.  Oh dear...

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 29, 2013, 10:30:10 am »

Right.  Let's try this again!

TURN 03 - Tyler

Put the boots on,and put sneakers into backpack.
"Thanks, uh?"
After receiving his name, he thanks him properly, and walks out of the store to the entrance of the store.

Walk to the nightclub.

The store clerk bows quickly and says, "Arigatougozaimaaaasu".  Tyler walks a bit more confidently with the boots on, and makes his way through Oodoori Park towards the nightclub.  In the park there are many people wandering around the ice sculptures that have been carved for the winter festival.  It looks like they were made days or weeks ago however, their once sharp clear features are molten and twisted and eroded into barely recognizable globs.  Near their bases the melt has formed pools of clear hard ice.  Tyler thinks he can see the remains of a horse in one.

By the time he reaches the nightclub entrance he is once again cold.  This hoodie just isn't enough for such a climate.  On a quieter though well sign lit street just behind Oodoori Tyler sees a sign for Pazu's Nightclub and walks to the stairs and trots up.  At the second floor door he is greeted by a smart man wearing a thick black overcoat, probably a suit underneath, carrying an umbrella.  He has a neatly trimmed beard and slicked back hair.  "O!  Welcome, sir..."  He looks Tyler up and down.  He looks puzzled for a moment.  It seems like hoodied young men with backpack and hiking boots covered in snow don't come here too often.  "I am, ahh, don't think this is club for you.  You want to come in?  The entrance fee is $50.  It's not so cheap.  There many bars with no entrance fee.  Hey, are you over 20?"

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 29, 2013, 11:25:52 am »

TURN 03 - Alexei

buy
(2) rolls of duck tape: $20
Cap opener $5
(5) space blankets $50
roll of string $5
Buy the winter clothes, a spare frameless backpack and sleeping bag, and have them delivered to the hotel.

Total cost of goods, $1100, cost of delivery $10.

Hmm. I'd rather not buy it, but when a GM makes this many references to cold:
...one begins to wonder if it might be best to take the hint.

((Yes.  The average temp. in Feb is about -4C.  Around 0 during the day and -8C at night.  In the Stalker post-Visitation world, the Japan Zone has had a cooling effect on the northern part of Hokkaido since it blocks out some sunlight, making it a tundra wasteland.  That in turn has had a slight cooling effect on the rest of Hokkaido.  So game temperatures are colder than IRL.  I am being kind now, but unless people start to kit up they will be cold and wet and die from exposure.  :) ))

Head to gun club next
Alexei and Yumiko walk out of the store and begin talking.  They hear a faint, "Arigatougo..." as the automatic doors close.

Continue chatting up Miss Asakura
She hopes Alexei will be safe in the Zone.
"I appreciate that you're so concerned about me."
"It is only natural to be concerned, Mr. Konovalov.  I do not wish anyone to harm from that place.  Why is it that you became a Stalker?  You have money it looks like.  Why do you risk your life?  If I had money I would move as far away as I could from here."

some attacks that have happened recently in homes in the borderlands
"What happened? What sort of injuries on the dead?"
"I don't really know.  My aunt said the paper said the bodies were.. I don't know how to say... umm.. it was hard to tell who they were.  They were attacked and some parts were missing.  It's pretty horrible, right?  Do you understand?  The people of Ebetsu want the government to do something but they don't.  That is why so many people around here hate the government.  They have left us."

As they walk slowly, she talks of some attacks that have happened recently in homes in the borderlands. She
is safe because she lives in the city, but her mother and aunt live Ebetsu where two or three have been killed.
"Your family lives in the borderland? That must be very difficult."
"My hometown was there.  I mean, it is there.  It isn't gone, yet!  I was a child when the...  you say Visitation, yes?  We say Kyouki no hikari, or kyouhi, which means, umm, the light of madness.  I was a child when it came.  We are used to it here.  Where does your family live, Mr. Konovalov?  Are they safe from the.. Visitation?"

They arrive at the gun club.  The entrance leads into a shop, a small place with counter-to-ceiling metal grilles covering the counter on the left side of the room.  On the right leading away from the door are shelves and racks with all kinds of paraphernalia.  There is a door in the grille-counter at the far end of the store.  Behind the grille there are lots of guns hanging on racks; handguns, shotguns, rifles and automatic weapons of many designs.  Alexei can also see explosives; various sizes of mine, grenades of peculiar shape and function and other things unrecognizable.  Possibly bombs?  Chemical weapons?  Biological?  He cannot read any labels.

There is one old bearded Japanese man wearing a baseball cap in the store, a customer, who's leaning at the counter talking to the man behind the counter.  The clerk looks old, maybe in his fifties, but clean shaven with short clipped black hair and a black eyepatch.  He looks at Alexei and Yumiko and doesn't smile or say anything.  He looks ex-military.  On second thought, Alexei thinks there is no way anyone could hire a man like this, he must be the owner.  The bearded customer looks at Alexei then Yumiko and says something in Japanese.  Yumiko responds in a jovial manner.  The exchange seems friendly enough.  Yumiko says,

"He thinks you have paid for me and want to impress me by shooting some guns!"  The customer raises his hand, pleading, and says in rough English,

"Hey, she is a pretty lady!  I do the same thing, if I'm younger, ehehe."  The owner still doesn't smile.  He says plainly with a perfect American accent,

"Don't listen to him, foreigner.  You're going into the Zone, right?  What can I get you?"

Spoiler: Saito's Gun Club (click to show/hide)

Incidentally, is this the same girl who gave me her room key earlier?

Yes

Also, try as I might, and even on 200% zoom-in I am unable to read some of the text on the map. Only nine locations are itemized in turn 3, but I count 11 text labels on the map besides the hotel, park and subway. What are the other two locations?

There's also a TV Tower in the park, University grounds and the Historical Government office.

Kasumi & Corban tomorrow.

DaveTheGrave

• Bay Watcher
  • Dave The Avatarless, Master of Comebacks
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 29, 2013, 12:30:57 pm »

I could try to convince him, or I could just leave...hmm.

"Im just gonna go."

Sighing, Tyler decides to go back to the outdoors store, realizing he needs winter clothes if he's going to survive.

Buy this:
30m
Climbing Irons
Binoculars
Sleeping bag
Mess kit
Winter clothes
Flashlight/Torch
Water bottle/Canteen
3 x Beef Jerky
3 x Canned Food
Entrenching Tool
Hatchet

If possible, a belt to carry tools.

Attempt to steal small items:
1x Beef Jerky
Multi-Tool
Lighter
Compass
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 01:29:41 pm by DaveTheGrave »

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 29, 2013, 01:33:12 pm »

((You missed my turn...))

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 29, 2013, 08:58:42 pm »

((You missed my turn...))

((sorry, didn't forget, just was time for bed.  will do tonight... I double checked and don't think I missed an earlier turn, did I?))

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 31, 2013, 09:19:32 am »

TURN 03 - Corban

Speaking to the staffer [Japanese]Thanks.
I'd like to hail a taxi in order to take things back to the hotel, and chat to the driver on the way to see if they know much about the Zone, because I imagine they'd get to talk to lots of different types of people in their line of work.

Corban leaves the shop and waits for a couple of minutes before hailing a cab.  The driver is surprised Corban requests a place so close*, but drives.

"The Zone?  Ohh, it's a nasty place, of course I don't know anything firsthand, but talked to a lot of people who have been in there.  Say, are you a Stalker?  Are you going in?  This one Stalker, I knew he was a Stalker because he told me, see?, he said there are these great clouds of night, just blackness, that float around the Zone, he said if you are inside then they're OK and day turns to night just in a moment when they pass over.  But he said one guy in his team was caught outside when the dark cloud came and he was burnt as like by the Hiroshima bomb.  Skin peeling and blistering blood, said he died slowly.  Sounds horrible, right!  You take care!"

I'd like to ask the driver to wait while I drop off everything I just bought in my room and then proceed to the gun shop, continuing to find out things about the area from the driver.

The driver becomes quite cheerful when told to wait, assuring Corban he can wait for however long he likes.

"The gun shop, right.  Guy who runs that place, he's ex-military, they say he's fought all over the world, as a mercenary too.  Tough guy he is.  Used to be a sniper, but now he's only got one eye.  Do you know if you can still shoot straight with one eye?  I'd bet that he can.  He's contracted Stalkers before too.  Asked them to get something for him from the Zone.  Here we are.  That's $30."

In the gun shop Corban sees Alexei with the girl from reception at the counter, with the bearded customer and the owner, all four talking.  It looks like a pretty friendly place to shop for guns.

Spoiler: Saito's Gun Club (click to show/hide)

* OOC, when I visited Sapporo a taxi driver basically refused to take us in a taxi at night in heavy snow because it was "really close".  15 minute walk.  Jerk!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14