Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14

Author Topic: Stalker – Community RPG Game  (Read 26665 times)

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stalker – Community RPG Game
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2013, 11:18:54 am »

OK I've added Character creation info to the second post.  LordBucket has already sent me a complete character sheet, the deadline for submission we'll say is in one week, then it will start.

Claim a slot but want to fix the Wapanese first.

Doctor I'd replace with Isha. Isha means expressly the medical doctor - Sensei means master which can be a lot of things.
Professor is more accurately Kyoujyu. Hakase means, not coincidentally, a Doctoral Degree Holder.

My Japanese is not great at all... but I was going for natural names.  Kantoku is like a baseball team coach, Nikuman is a cheap joke based on Kinnikuman.  With Doctor, they are referred to, perhaps, in writing by Isha but almost exclusively when speaking to a doctor people will say Sensei.  With Professor, I'm not sure. I might change that one, so thanks for the tip :)
But Sensei can be anything. Author, Teacher, Academic, Priest, Professional (Chess) Player, Lawyer, and Physicians are all referred to as sensei in speech. Its essentially a honorific.
I mean, calling the leader head coach isn't much of a problem. Calling someone Sensei is essentially calling him "sir" without capitals.
When A Japanese want to see a doctor, he'd say お医者さんを見に行きます or Literally "I'm going for seeing a doctor." When he is in front of the doctor he would refer to the Doc as "Sensei", just like people address your favourite doctor as Doctor whatever.

(Apologies for any inaccurate Japanese here. My Native tongue is not Japanese, but the oddity of referring to someone in third person using a honorific is common to us or Japanese.)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 11:29:50 am by evilcherry »

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2013, 05:50:11 pm »

The example you give is correct, if introducing a new topic one would refer to a doctor as oisya san.  But Japan/Japanese is a highly context dependent country/culture/language, and, as you say, once the speaker and listener know they're talking about a medical doctor they will immediately switch to sensei, in first, second or third person.  In the case of a team like this, it would be obvious to anyone in the team and anyone referring to a Stalker team that "sensei" would be the team's doctor, and not, for example, their talented car mechanic.

On Kyoujyu/Hakase.... I'm leaning towards Hakase.  My source (Japanese wife) is not sure at all which is more common or suitable, but the impression I get is Kyoujyu would be more a teaching professor in a university and a Hakase a research professor at university or in business.  The latter seems more appropriate here, but I am open to change if you have a good argument.

Having a Japanese speaking character on the team might be quite useful to garner some extra information!

Thanks for the submissions, I gave them a once over and they look good.  Busy now, so will check them more thoroughly later and get back you.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2013, 12:21:06 am »

Whoops realized I wasn't supposed to post to thread.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 12:25:46 am by The13thRonin »
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2013, 01:18:36 am »

PTW

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2013, 04:23:28 pm »

I see that we have 5 characters allocated and empty slots for evilcherry and CognitiveDissonance. Are those wait-listed spots for when people die, or are we good to go?

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2013, 11:10:10 pm »

Joining is pretty flexible since I'm sure we could find a way to write in new PCs here and there, so if those guys or anyone else sends me a char sheet in the next few days or couple of weeks even they could join in.  But essentially, yes the team is ready!  The back stories I've received have been great.  Right now I just need to prepare stuff, which takes time and I'm quite busy.  There are a few more things that need to be done before things roll, and I'll try to get back to PMs soon. 
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2013, 12:12:21 am »

Kasumi strolled in casually through the doors of the Aspen Hotel, eyes darting around as she strolled over to the main desk. She was on time, she made sure to arrive in the city early just in case, and had taken the time to observe the hotel from the outside to plan escape routes. She felt as ready as she could be and checked in.

Check into the hotel.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2013, 02:04:16 am »

Alexei Konovalov

Having arrived earlier to sample the cuisine, Alexei enters the lobby from the adjacent lounge area of the Sapporo Aspen hotel. With meticulous dark hair, Alexei is a fairly tall Russian of medium but solid build, wearing a three-piece blue pinstripe suit with bright, shiny shoes and carrying an umbrella in one hand and a bright green martini in the other. After approaching the front desk, he sets his martini down and with a warm smile happily greets the girl behind the desk with what little Japanese he's managed to pick up during his stay so far.

Ariga-shimasu desu kudasai. Konovalov ka? Reservation? Desu?

Check in to hotel

And by the way, the parfait your restaurant serves is fabulous. Desu.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2013, 05:54:06 am »

Corban Hodge

Arrives at the hotel in the morning, carrying a rucksack on his back. Glances around the hotel foyer and nods to himself, seemingly happy with the place, then proceeds to the reception desk.

Uh... do you speak English? Good, good. My name is Hodge, I believe there is a room ready for me?

Check in to hotel

Thanks!
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2013, 08:40:16 am »

TURN 00

Quote from: Kasumi
Check into the hotel.

Kasumi walks through the empty lobby to the front desk where a single young lady sits with drawn back hair and simple makeup looking plainly and unsmiling at Kasumi.  Kasumi doesn't smile either.  They both know who each other are and any pretence at formality or friendliness seems unnecessary.  There are three big Yakuza families with a presence in the north; the Yamaguchi, the Kawano and the Baba.  The invitation had said Yamaguchi, but this hotel could be run by any one of them.  Kasumi didn't know which one she was dealing with, but it doesn't really matter. 
(Japanese)  “I'm Himashi.  My room card, please.”
”Here you are.  Room 605.”  She doesn't even bother to point out the elevator.

Quote from: Alexei
Check in to hotel – with a martini

“Ariga-shimasu desu kudasai. Konovalov ka? Reservation? Desu?”
The reception lady smiles without restraint at Alexei's Japanese.  It is awkward like all foreigners, but he doesn't seem awkward.  He asks for his card, she hands him two.
“This is your room, number 405.  And if you need any help with anything, here is my room key.  The elevators are that way, Mr. Konovalov.”  And she smiles again.  “Welcome to Sapporo.”
“Thanks.  And by the way, the parfait your restaurant serves is fabulous.  Desu.”  She reaches for the martini and takes a sip, and bats her eyelashes.

Quote from: Corban
Check in to hotel

“Uh... do you speak English?”
“Yes, sir.  How may I help you”
“Good, good. My name is Hodge, I believe there is a room ready for me?”
“Yes, sir, there is.”  She hands him a card and smiles, “Room 413 Mr. Hodge.  Enjoy your stay.”
“Thanks!”

The second post has been updated with gameplay advice.  I still have to finish everyone's character sheets, having underestimated the amount of work involved   :-[.  The beginning will hopefully be a gradual introduction to the game.  The real first turn will start once Jack checks in, or in about 24 hours.  I'm thinking the flow of the game shall be, on my part, a major update followed by shorter updates for smaller actions and dialogue etc. but we'll see what happens!  tl;dr  First real part is coming soon, character sheets to be finalised shortly.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 08:46:23 am by hermes »

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2013, 08:53:40 am »

Err... I'm not going to lie. I'm not entirely sure what's going on or what I'm supposed to do right now.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2013, 08:56:25 am »

Sorry!  Don't worry, your character is special because of your backstory... you get a special entrance in Turn 01.  I didn't expect players to jump in so quickly, but it's all good.   :)    You're playing your character perfectly right now   ;D

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2013, 09:01:29 am »

*phew* I kinda thought as much, but wanted to double-check. Thanks a lot.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2013, 09:16:24 pm »

Kasumi: room 605

Alexei: room 405

Corban: room 413

Interesting that they put Kasumi two floors above us.

Quote from:
And if you need any help with anything, here is my room key.

She reaches for the martini and takes a sip, and bats her eyelashes.

Damn it, she's a ninja assassin here to seduce and kill me. *sigh* Japan. Ninjas everywhere.

Alexei Konovalov

Alexei smiles at the receptionist, and accepts both room keys. IF the girl is pretty, after she sets the martini glass down, pick it up then rotate it around in front of her and take a sip from where she did for the indirect kiss.

Flirt briefly, then check my room for note with instructions, envelop on the bed etc. Also check the room for ninjas. If nothing is found, return to lounge and watch the lobby for suspicious-looking new arrivals.

Also, Kasumi and Corban: can we get physical descriptions for you?

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2013, 10:36:27 pm »

Kasumi promptly left for the stairs instead of the elevator and walked up to her floor and then to her room. Hopefully, this wouldn't turn out all that bad... She needed the money after all, and the pay was supposed to be really good.

Take the stairs for some exercise and head to my room. Check the corridor and my room for traps or cameras/microphones and then wait patiently inside.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14