Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 29

Author Topic: Star Citizen: The Old Thread Was Dead  (Read 64743 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: Star Citizen: The Old Thread Was Dead
« Reply #105 on: July 28, 2013, 11:01:43 am »

You should note that everything being sold will be available with ingame currency. That includes insurance. Another thing which has been pointed out previously is that the LTI doesn't include anything more than the base ship equipment. The majority of the game's upgrade related stuff is the equipment, not the ships themselves. It's why there's a relatively small number of ship types.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #106 on: July 28, 2013, 03:10:10 pm »

The only thing blowing wads of cash on the game gets you is time-saved, which is honestly pretty decent considering most F2P games get you time-saved on top of better gear than accessible normally.

This is the third or fourth time this has come up in the thread though, it's old territory.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 30, 2013, 10:54:23 am »

Additionally, these may clear things up in that area; quoted directly from CR in company teamchat:
Its not - LTI is not insta-respawn which is what a bunch of people seem to think it is. Losing your ship is a pain - just like getting into a car accident. Insurance just means it doesn't cost you as much in money but there's always a cost in time and hassle.
 No one unless they were mentally unbalanced and like waiting around for a long time to do really tedious things will be rammign people with their LTI ship just to greif them.
 LTI and normal insurnace are exactly teh same. You just dont have to pay montly sub for LTI.
Doesnt make your life easier or replacement times quicker

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 04, 2013, 10:21:16 pm »

I want ships

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 17, 2013, 02:01:22 am »

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13213-New-Ship-Page-Launched

New ship page with modified stats.

Some ships are much more versatile now.  More info about some of the variants and their loadouts.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 22, 2013, 01:23:35 pm »

We have Gamescom stuff; and the press interviews are already starting to come up.

http://video.golem.de/games/11496/star-citizen-interview-und-gameplay-(gamescom-2013).html

Complete with buggy video of yesterday morning's build. Those white squares were quite easy to fix, and yet they got submitted by someone at the last minute before the press build. >_<

I think it was the change that enabled footstep sound effects... which don't matter one bit because the press demos just overlay audio and such anyway.
Remember folks, don't be that guy.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 23, 2013, 01:33:01 am »

So has it been confirmed that the Hangar will be out next Thursday?

Everyone seemed to think it was gonna be out on Saturday.  Alas.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 23, 2013, 10:53:56 pm »

So has it been confirmed that the Hangar will be out next Thursday?

Everyone seemed to think it was gonna be out on Saturday.  Alas.
Haven't been watching the press too much, but yeah. Originally, the plan was Saturday, but CR pushed it back, last Friday I think it was, when it was quite clear that another half a week would be really, really helpful. We had a bit of a crunch time night on Tuesday for the press events; we got quite a lot done. I left sometime after 11, with about a dozen others staying well past 2. Tonight is another one, what with a big gamescom presentation being Saturday (which, due to the time difference between Austin and Germany means we need to have our final presentation build compiling within the next couple hours, at the very latest). I managed to duck out at 8, since the only big graphics bugs won't be noticeable in the presentation, and so I have until Wednesday night to clean all those up. Most of the rest will probably be there until after midnight.

I think the most important part, aside from extra time being useful, is that it let us prioritize bugs in a nice way. For the press events, it was "things that break everything," tonight it's "things which look obviously wrong," and for Wednesday night, it will be everything else.

And here's hoping I don't get a phone call tonight telling me to come back in because everything broke. :P

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 28, 2013, 11:27:31 pm »

Soon, very soon.

I'll be streaming my hangar, when it's released.

I've got a music mix set up and all.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 28, 2013, 11:31:48 pm »

Soon, very soon.

I'll be streaming my hangar, when it's released.

I've got a music mix set up and all.
Won't be until evening; a couple issues with the build came up this morning, pushing things back a few hours [the original plan was some time around noon Thursday, but we never publicly announced a specific time, so pushing it back a few hours was fair game :P ]. So don't bother staying up all night tonight.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 11:34:44 pm by alway »

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 29, 2013, 08:07:42 pm »

Hangar is live. 

Cutlass owners get a statue of the Cutlass, in lieu of the finished product.

People have already accidentally clipped through the walls and into space.  Sounds about right for a super-alpha release, going by what I've come to expect from DF.

But now I want a Cutlass more than ever...

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 29, 2013, 08:36:17 pm »

Today... was a good day.

Tons of bugs and such to fix still (especially the complete lack of interior lighting on the ships; the connie looks soooo much better with them). But the deployment went as well as could be expected. The most entertaining bit was watching the real-time stats tracker on the CDN. A few minutes after launch, we were peaking at a sustained rate of 10Gb/s of patch data served, with the highest peak I saw being over 17Gb/s. By the time I left about an hour and a half later, it was still at a sustained rate of around 3-4.5 Gb/s. By that time, total patch data served was somewhere over a dozen terabytes. Aside from a very minor issue or two, none of which were on our side, everything went really unexpectedly smoothly. So big props to everybody involved in that.

Anyway; with the full patch download being around 2.1GB, the most we can expect to use is around 200TB, if all eligible for poking around in the hangar app do so. So not bad; about 6000 people's worth of data served in about 6000 seconds.

And many jokes were made about the fact that we got the first month of the CDN service free.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 08:39:27 pm by alway »

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 29, 2013, 10:44:39 pm »

Nice touch with the Cutlass statue.  Really hoping to get one somehow, eventually.  Alas, being broke, I can only afford so many ships...

Edit:  I can't tell from the pics I've seen if it's to-scale or "chibified" or what.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 10:57:36 pm by Capntastic »

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 30, 2013, 01:37:13 am »

Why must this require Shader Model 5.0? Judging by last month's Steam survey, only about 62% of machines surveyed are equipped for it, and judging by Wikipedia, there are still plenty of games in development that support older hardware. This and TUG are the only games I know of to have this requirement. It's strange to me that indie studios would do this, with Kickstarted projects no less, when it's usually the AAA studios pushing the bleeding edge.

Edit: To be fair, doing some linear extrapolation it looks like the 62% will be closer to 90% by Q4 2014.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 01:47:48 am by Leyic »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 29