Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 113

Author Topic: What's happening in your Fort.  (Read 192080 times)

omniclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's happening in your Fort.
« Reply #975 on: June 10, 2014, 07:08:56 pm »

I think I need to play without the fortress defense races more often, strangler sieges are too easy to deal with.

Do you play with all of them or only certain ones?

I've kind of been thinking about enabling some for an Orc Fort to give my dudes a bigger variety of things to cut in half with their welded mithril daikatanas. My last fort went years inbetween sieges are was kind of boring.
I usually was enabling 5-6 of them, one or two from each level of difficulty.  I kept getting just the easy ones tho (probably I didn't play a given fort long enough).  You do get lots of sieges tho, if you turtle much at all you basically have no traders since you will get a siege most seasons.  They come early too, I'm not sure I ever got the first human caravan.  The easy races are a cake walk, unless they are mounted.  I'm not sure stranglers or beak wolves ever killed a dwarf, but I've had a couple forts wiped out by the cattle the beak wolves were riding.  Two metal clad soldiers had no problem dealing with non-mounted stranglers or beak wolves, no matter how large the siege.

I've thought of enabling Hellfire Imps, but that just seems like trouble waiting to happen. Also seems weird that they are under easy...won't their fire easily kill most melee squads?

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: June 10, 2014, 09:15:54 pm »

I think I need to play without the fortress defense races more often, strangler sieges are too easy to deal with.

Do you play with all of them or only certain ones?

I've kind of been thinking about enabling some for an Orc Fort to give my dudes a bigger variety of things to cut in half with their welded mithril daikatanas. My last fort went years inbetween sieges are was kind of boring.
I usually was enabling 5-6 of them, one or two from each level of difficulty.  I kept getting just the easy ones tho (probably I didn't play a given fort long enough).  You do get lots of sieges tho, if you turtle much at all you basically have no traders since you will get a siege most seasons.  They come early too, I'm not sure I ever got the first human caravan.  The easy races are a cake walk, unless they are mounted.  I'm not sure stranglers or beak wolves ever killed a dwarf, but I've had a couple forts wiped out by the cattle the beak wolves were riding.  Two metal clad soldiers had no problem dealing with non-mounted stranglers or beak wolves, no matter how large the siege.

I've thought of enabling Hellfire Imps, but that just seems like trouble waiting to happen. Also seems weird that they are under easy...won't their fire easily kill most melee squads?

Not if they have shields and don't fight on grass.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: June 10, 2014, 09:19:35 pm »

I've had hellfire imps appear in the dead untis screen but never saw one. There were 5 straight that died and never got an alert about it.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Tenderroast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: June 10, 2014, 10:43:30 pm »

@aristion. They have thieves, but are not trap immune as far as i know. If you have traps, that is probably what happened.

razorback

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: June 11, 2014, 01:32:22 am »

I had an fireimp attack in an older version.
they appearded on the mapedge and where instantly killed by their own fire.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: June 11, 2014, 09:35:40 am »

Got tired of having Antmen seiges pop up in parts of the 1st cavern that I hadn't uncovered yet, so I put a few baby pekyts on the one way "elevator" I had made for a former sharp toothed fortress member in hopes they would uncover things before being slaughtered.

Much to my surprise, not only were they both able to survive, they scared the entire seige off the map after disarming several Antman Soldiers, and even mortally wounding a few Large Rats. And these are just Babies.

I'm now tempted to make them War trainable in future worlds.

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: June 11, 2014, 02:37:06 pm »

I had an fireimp attack in an older version.
they appearded on the mapedge and where instantly killed by their own fire.
I remember that. IIRC itwas cause by the standardized mats. Hellfire imps with flammabke skin -> ‼Hellfire imp corpse‼
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: June 11, 2014, 06:40:43 pm »

@aristion. They have thieves, but are not trap immune as far as i know. If you have traps, that is probably what happened.

I know they have thieves, they killed a fisherorc. But no traps on the map so the only thing i can think of is they  combust when they the map for the one that killed the orc was killed by one that just entered the map didn't even leave the map edge.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Tenderroast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: June 12, 2014, 12:36:50 am »

just made a new fort, for 5.0.6. Embark location is a mix of Joyous Wilds, and Terrifying. I forgot to check the name of hte fortress, and change to something else, but it turned out perfect Anyways. Come my fellow dwarves of "The Anvil of Copper", STRIKE THE EARTH with us, here at Goodterrify.  :P

This is gonna be great.

Undeadlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: June 12, 2014, 07:23:32 am »

I know I have to be missing something so obvious, but with the Embassy, how do you enable Diplomacy so a dwarf actually goes to the Embassy and runs a job? I have looked everywhere and can't seem to find anything related to Diplomacy or Ambassador?

Undeadlord

Mithril Leaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: June 12, 2014, 07:35:18 am »

I know I have to be missing something so obvious, but with the Embassy, how do you enable Diplomacy so a dwarf actually goes to the Embassy and runs a job? I have looked everywhere and can't seem to find anything related to Diplomacy or Ambassador?

Undeadlord
I tend to use Therapist where it's on the right, around alchemy, but I believe the actual location is in farming.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #986 on: June 12, 2014, 07:39:57 am »

Undeadlord
Its not really the thread for questions, but its a labor. Where soap-making is in vanilla, same spot.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Undeadlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: June 12, 2014, 08:15:55 am »

I am going to just sit here very quietly from now on ...
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 09:29:03 am by Undeadlord »

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: June 12, 2014, 11:43:20 am »

I've got some badass babies:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: June 13, 2014, 07:04:19 pm »

My second fort in Masterwork. Four uneventful years go by, my super-badass poisoned-crystal-glass-axe-wielding legionnaire routinely beheads all ambushers that make it past the traps, I start building an ironic punishment-slash-silk factory with a web turret, a captive succubus and some suggestive-looking upward spears in case of emergency... business as usual.

Then a wild warlock spy appears smack in the middle of my meeting hall. Before the legionnaire can take him out, he does something. Something deadly. Tens of dwarves perish, just like that. All of my coffins are claimed in seconds. Then he sets a couple more dwarves on fire and gets beheaded. An all-destroying tantrum spiral ensues while the legionnaire looks on and downs her booze, the only happy person in the whole damn fort.

Never got to finish the silk factory and see the succubus encased in layers upon layers of sticky white goodness, but whatever, that was fun anyway. I'm starting to like this mod.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 07:07:04 pm by HmH »
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 113