Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 113

Author Topic: What's happening in your Fort.  (Read 192063 times)

werdna112

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: What's happening in your Fort.
« Reply #960 on: June 07, 2014, 02:07:40 pm »

I settled near a tower and got some undead hordes passing by every now and them. But it seems some of the necromancer liches chose to linger around the map for a few years now. They are completely invisible, I can only see them through combat logs, when they occasionally raise corpses and throw some very nasty spells at whatever passes by. They've dealt with most of the other ambushes and sieges, and killed off enough caravans and diplomats that I'm now at war with everyone.

I tried sending my military at them, they had no problem dealing with the undead but once they even got close to one of the liches they get turned into undead and start killing eachother, get necrotized, cut into pieces and the lich is still invisible.

I created an "arcane protector" to see if he can do anything, the lich doesn't seem to cast spells on him but he's still invisible. He also couldn't handle an endless stream of undead, the white aura didn't seem to do anything.

There seems to be only one solution - flood the world with magma, and a plan for this is currently in progress.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #961 on: June 07, 2014, 03:11:35 pm »

Just set the surface on fire once, it should drive him away. Or find the tile he is standing on ^^
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Innocent Dave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: June 07, 2014, 03:21:08 pm »

Dwarven children seem possessed of an uncontrollable urge to jump into pools of magma, often running halfway across the fortress to fling themselves into my freshly-constructed plumbing.
Reaching one's life goal shouldn't come with a happy thought.  It should come with a sudden existential crisis.

werdna112

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: June 07, 2014, 03:27:43 pm »

Just set the surface on fire once, it should drive him away. Or find the tile he is standing on ^^

Sadly it's a biome with no vegetation... finding the tile he's standing on is kinda what I was trying to do with my soldiers, but they kept running off after new undead corpses popping up all the time, or their zombified former friends and children. He will drop invisibility if you do that?

And it's at least two of them.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #964 on: June 07, 2014, 03:35:18 pm »

He should get visible, just like ambushes, if you touch the tile he is standing on with another creature...
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: June 07, 2014, 05:13:05 pm »

Dwarven children seem possessed of an uncontrollable urge to jump into pools of magma, often running halfway across the fortress to fling themselves into my freshly-constructed plumbing.

Kids love hot tubs, right? I see no problems here.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Tenderroast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: June 07, 2014, 05:39:03 pm »

Dwarven abortion? The other option being danger rooms, with mom in the military.  :P

DracoGriffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: June 08, 2014, 04:32:12 pm »

I have a mechanism with the following decoration:

Code: [Select]
On the item is a finely-designed image of a computer-using overseer in bone by "SwdLdr Orc A" Yagburuk.
Damn Yagburuk breaking the fourth wall.

Innocent Dave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: June 09, 2014, 10:35:04 am »

In a satisfyingly huge and bloody melee outside my gates, I had a couple of goblins transform into "a cloud of blood and gore".  Is this from all those runes I've been inscribing on my weapons?  Because it's awesome :)
Reaching one's life goal shouldn't come with a happy thought.  It should come with a sudden existential crisis.

Rawb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: June 09, 2014, 10:48:23 am »

My whole Fort died to Disease, apart from the Fort Sorcerer. He's spent a year alone in the Fort. A siege of Beak Wolves has also been here for 2 seasons but has so far failed to find my last dwarf because he just cloaks himself whenever they come by.

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: June 09, 2014, 01:54:20 pm »

My first try at embarking near a tower (with only 50 beards right now).  Had a 4 dwarf military, all melee in full bronze, more than enough for the first siege, right?  65 undead later, I have a one dwarf military (a fisher with 29 kills), so clearly it was the perfect amount!  Fortunately I had a tarantula I could get him to enjoy slaughtering, which pulled him out after two tantrums (with only one broken arm on a hauler)...

I'm about a month or two from getting real (magma powered) forging, so I can get a ranged military running.  Likewise should be able to get white magic going so I can try out a witchhunter.

I think I need to play without the fortress defense races more often, strangler sieges are too easy to deal with.

omniclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: June 09, 2014, 07:20:28 pm »

I think I need to play without the fortress defense races more often, strangler sieges are too easy to deal with.

Do you play with all of them or only certain ones?

I've kind of been thinking about enabling some for an Orc Fort to give my dudes a bigger variety of things to cut in half with their welded mithril daikatanas. My last fort went years inbetween sieges are was kind of boring.

Fail-Man 3D

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: June 09, 2014, 09:50:02 pm »

DFHack and AutoHotkey are powerful tools, especially when (ab)used together.

I've been focusing on Nith taming (due to the lack of cats at embark or from caravans), but I've run into mysterious "door used by intruder" issues.
I think that they're related to my cage-to-cage transfer procedure (which involves dragging the [CANOPENDOORS][LOCKPICKER] Nith victim through a tightly shut door).

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: June 10, 2014, 01:02:33 pm »

Do you play with all of them or only certain ones?

I've kind of been thinking about enabling some for an Orc Fort to give my dudes a bigger variety of things to cut in half with their welded mithril daikatanas. My last fort went years inbetween sieges are was kind of boring.
I usually was enabling 5-6 of them, one or two from each level of difficulty.  I kept getting just the easy ones tho (probably I didn't play a given fort long enough).  You do get lots of sieges tho, if you turtle much at all you basically have no traders since you will get a siege most seasons.  They come early too, I'm not sure I ever got the first human caravan.  The easy races are a cake walk, unless they are mounted.  I'm not sure stranglers or beak wolves ever killed a dwarf, but I've had a couple forts wiped out by the cattle the beak wolves were riding.  Two metal clad soldiers had no problem dealing with non-mounted stranglers or beak wolves, no matter how large the siege. 

Tenderroast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: June 10, 2014, 05:56:57 pm »

Lack of cats. Are you playing as dwarves? If so, use mole weasel or leatherwing bats.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 113