Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 113

Author Topic: What's happening in your Fort.  (Read 191991 times)

Parhelion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's happening in your Fort.
« Reply #540 on: December 02, 2013, 11:54:03 pm »

Seven dwarves have made it to the bank of a calm lake that they have gone on to dub Ilonner ("Moonlake").  A bit pansy, perhaps, but their tiny village will be founded as a beautiful memory of their nearly forgotten civilization. 

The lake shore is fairly hilly, so the entire spring had been spent hollowing out a hole in one close to the water's edge and moving their belongings inside.   They are glad that their leader, a female by the name of 'Erina' Ethinrus, had them drag along the few surviving beasts from their old villages, as they now were a symbol of hope:  a pitiful handful of cattle, pigs, and sheep.  By the end of summer, a few handfuls of other survivors emerge from the forest to join them.   Winter draws in, and they know that there will be no caravans from the crumbling tomb that was once the dwarven capital.

Here, 11 dwarven men and 7 dwarven women (two of which are children) will stand together.

---

After playing a number of "easy" forts that eventually became too boring due the dwarves increasingly needing less of my attention in order to survive, I've stumbled on a version of the Garden of Gaia where the dwarf civ is destroyed early in history.  I've never played a game like this one, so kinda interested in seeing what sorts of shenanigans I can get into. :)

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: December 03, 2013, 07:15:34 am »

I'm not sure why they would have gone off, but the only thing I can think of causing this are the few stacks of Manticore ammo I set to be brought to the Depot.

Now I'm not sure if this is what's going on but a while back I remember someone experimenting with the ammo because there were temperature issues.  It was something along the lines of the ammo is supposed to melt when it hits a target causing the syndrome, but there was an issue with it melting randomly in stockpiles or elsewhere.  I think the person who was experimenting figured out that in order to transport or use the syndrome ammo you pretty much needed a dwarf wearing gloves.  It might have even been netherbark gloves for the cold.  I think the warm hands of the dwarves were causing the ammo to trigger. 

What version were you playing on when this happened?  I feel like this was a problem for an earlier version before the dfhack updates.  Back when spawning creatures was hit or miss and the whole magic system and guild system was being developed.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: December 03, 2013, 07:17:05 am »

Well I can't continue on this fort; apparently this version stuffed up with limonite being included and being unsmeltable/unprocessable.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: December 03, 2013, 07:37:44 am »

It happened on the Unified dfhack r4 4.e.

I guess that would make the most sense, if there have been issues with the manticore ammo. It was rather unexpected, and definitely caused a significant attitude change across the fort after the 60 dwarves finally suffocated.

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: December 03, 2013, 02:04:29 pm »

In Terrifiedransacks, a frozen/volcanic embark. The caverns were breached early to construct a well and otherwise abandoned. Panderlyomen the Trance of Beguile is our forts greatest hero. Being refused entry into the fort from the caverns where he's been living, he single handedly fought off 2 forgotten beasts and 4-5 troglodyte ambushes/sieges, getting over 60 kills before an iron mace bashed his skull in.

The amusing part is, Panderlyomens is a troglodyte. When they ambushed for the first time (my well already safely sealed off) he immediately started fighting the other troglodytes then just hung around the caverns killing them every time they showed up.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: December 04, 2013, 12:19:09 am »

Started a new fort in the newest mod version, by the name of Mournedsavage in a dry savage broadleaf forest. Already like the concept of the animated swords, and have my starting two swordsmen packing two each as back-up. me being ever the economist with soldiers, I already have the two beating on eachother with sticks and planks for shields and no armor. Worst comes to worst, at least they have the crappy shields and blunt objects to try to defend the place from giant animals.

I find the concept of military shroom men hilarious, and they make absolutely vicious rat hunters. A trio I brought just decimated a huge rat pack.

We have coal and kaolinite, clay, peat, and possibly other goodies. I didn't pay attention after I read "you have struck bituminous coal."

jonveck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: December 04, 2013, 03:20:14 pm »

@Oldark:

Whoa, did Panderlyomens somehow turn Friendly or was he Opposed to Life?  I'm a little curious the mechanics of how such things happen.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: December 04, 2013, 03:25:14 pm »

Mournedsavage cause of destruction: Colonel Urist McStupid deciding she could totally take ona giant tick with what amounted to some planks nailed together for a shield and a glorified billy club. She wound up dad, one of her animated swords broken, and her lover, Urist McMiner, wasn't happy about this. SO he wound up killing someone when he pitched a fit, and the shock of the death he caused coupled with seeing it, made him go, big shock, berserk!

Yeah, went about as well as expected for everyone, with the last miner being the one to put him down at a cost of dying of bloodloss shortly after, resulting in a loss of fort.

I giggled the whole while, because that was first time I lost a fort that quick in a long time outside of my few and far between evil embarks.

There Is No Vic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: December 05, 2013, 04:59:05 pm »

The fall of Shotknotted:

Military commander schizophrenic legendary wrestler attacks his squadmate legendary wrestler, gets attacked by the farm animals and a hammer lord. The animals turn on the hammer lord, then on the metalsmith schizophrenic, who decides to lose his shit around this time, then on the rest of the military. Two legendary wrestlers, two legendary hammer lords, and a metalsmith slain by tuskoxen and a mastiff without so much as a bruise on the animals. Tantrum spiral ensues.

Good times.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: December 07, 2013, 12:11:14 am »

I decided to designate bonemeal as a non-economic stone, just for the hell of it. It resulted with the amusing ability to build a fully furnished 2x2 room out of 18 dead rats. (10 for the walls/ceiling, 8 for the furniture.) currently trying to build an entire over-ground city with nothing but bonemeal.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #550 on: December 07, 2013, 05:07:19 am »

You can also make bone-blocks btw... much more efficient. :) Its not 1 boulder, but 4 blocks you get.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: December 08, 2013, 12:21:22 pm »

Diary of Boltgun marksdwarf hammerdwarf, year 105

The fort is a total mess, dwarves are drinking more that we can ever produce and no merchant make it to our gates because of ambushes.

Producing the equipment for the militia seems erratic. Ore is being processed and we started making steel but I am afraid we'll have to do with silver for a while, and leather padding for a lack of better suiting. I miss the times were we could make a decent sword out of one bar of metal only.

My fellow sworddwarfette lost her right arm up to the elbow, I can hear her complaining despite the many walls between us.

Someone or something threw a fireball at the gates. Many dwarves are stuck outside, but hopefully they learnt to stand away from the raging fire... most of them.

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: December 09, 2013, 07:18:36 pm »

@Oldark:

Whoa, did Panderlyomens somehow turn Friendly or was he Opposed to Life?  I'm a little curious the mechanics of how such things happen.

He somehow turned friendly. Not sure what caused it but it was entertaining to watch.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #553 on: December 10, 2013, 05:29:32 am »

Simple: Intelligent creatures that kill an enemy of your civ (like a FB), will be allies from then on. Its a vanilla DF thing.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: December 10, 2013, 05:41:54 am »

"The enemy of my unknown never actually seen beast enemy is my friend. And now my friend is drinking all of our booze..."

Makes sense to me.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 113