Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 113

Author Topic: What's happening in your Fort.  (Read 191806 times)

Etherdrinker

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Etherdrink☼
    • View Profile
Re: What's happening in your Fort.
« Reply #435 on: October 29, 2013, 08:53:47 am »

"The Blacksmith focuses!
The Blacksmith moves at shocking speed!"

Nice of you to announce yourself Mr Vampire. Please report to the crematorium for your new vocation.

I lolŽed
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I canŽt believe this happened to you, you forgot get your Armok ward than protect you from those possessions, pick some from trading or pick some from your church using a Orichalcum bar. A put one in critical spots, like, near to your trade depot, one in your Meeting area. Probably your need one next to your Butchery-refuse stockpile, or next to your bone stockpile, and one next to your military zone. (Any of those can be corrupted, diseased or possesed by hidden threads from outsiders, invaders or monsters or even the savagery can be infected by nasty stuff. So, ward yourself!

Rikbog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: October 29, 2013, 09:24:24 am »

New fort yesterday!  Having learned some lessons from the previous fort's failures, I packed some dewbeetles and plenty of seeds - including some non-cave crops.

Grass does not grow here, roast the seeds.  The only pool on the map (8 tiles) feeds my nearly completed water project.  Pool dries up for the summer before I drain it.  One male beetle might have been enough, but the bucket work order was ignored.  Dwarves getting thirsty.

Reclaim!  A huge wave brings me to about 45.  The trench around my giant above ground area is complete and secure except for one ramp to the mountainside.  Bridges across my trench are designated, and that ramp will be removed soon.  That's a whole lot of frogmen spawning right next to that one ramp.  With 3 living dwarves, I remember that I actually DID build a failsafe bridge underground, and the invaders are chasing a dwarf around the mountain outside.  Peasant throws lever, goes melancholy.  Master farmer/cook starves in the room next to his own food stockpile.  Time to reclaim again!

Lessons learned:
Only male beetles are milked (eww).
Grass does not grow everywhere.
Don't place the only weakness in your fort's defense near the border.
Don't get sloppy and forget the bridges even exist.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: October 29, 2013, 09:51:35 am »

I canŽt believe this happened to you, you forgot get your Armok ward than protect you from those possessions, pick some from trading or pick some from your church using a Orichalcum bar. A put one in critical spots, like, near to your trade depot, one in your Meeting area. Probably your need one next to your Butchery-refuse stockpile, or next to your bone stockpile, and one next to your military zone. (Any of those can be corrupted, diseased or possesed by hidden threads from outsiders, invaders or monsters or even the savagery can be infected by nasty stuff. So, ward yourself!
For some reason my Armok Ward is doing nothing about bloodbeasts. I have a seasonal save where one possessed dwarf paints his pentagrams on a square literally right next to a ward for no effect.

Etherdrinker

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Etherdrink☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: October 29, 2013, 09:55:10 am »

So something bad (bug?) is going on there, because, the wards should protect you from Bloodbeast (I even saw in the logs when wards blocks and cleanse bad stuff)

Like when a necromancer tries to peep in the refuse stockpiles, like when a possession are going to hit, etc.

You have a proof so you can report it as an anomaly or bug?

Are you sure you have an ward near? and not blocked by a wall?

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: October 29, 2013, 02:25:39 pm »

Failed mercenary group to the frost giants results in ambush by sharpshooters and Vampire Lord.  Automatons kill elf caravan.  Destroyer, squad #1, and Vampire Lord fighting for a month now, caravan goods cleaned up.  Strange mood results in graphite amulet.  Magical repeating crates (loot from caravan) opened at Warehouse - feathers and paper and medical cloth all over the place.

These dwarves are f-ing nuts.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #440 on: October 29, 2013, 03:15:23 pm »

urmane, it might be that linux is using each crate 150 times, because there was some linux-only bug in which the product dimension is different (?)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: October 29, 2013, 05:17:34 pm »

Yeah, I know - I can control the crates, it was just funny at the time, I had this image of the vampire lord outside fighting and a bunch of dwarves throwing feathers in the air shouting, "Wheee!!!"

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: October 29, 2013, 10:29:24 pm »

-snip-

That was the perfect dose of unexpected !FUN!, it keeps me on my toes and makes turtling no longer an option. If the Cult of the Carp God comes around, maybe I'd ward them, but the occasional demonic possession really breaks up the monotony.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: October 29, 2013, 11:55:03 pm »

"The Blacksmith focuses!
The Blacksmith moves at shocking speed!"

Nice of you to announce yourself Mr Vampire. Please report to the crematorium for your new vocation.

I lolŽed

I like using vampires to staff the crematorium, they don't get sick *lol* I always build it so there's plenty of doors surrounding it, a refuse pile that gets dropped into via minecart and an ash pile with minecart that drops the ash out into the main fort. haven't set it up to drop food and drink in though so every time I get a minor vampire or vampire mage they end up starving to death *chuckle*
Someone, get the bug zapper! What do you mean that won't work on a bug the size of a house which glows? No, I don't want to hear it. Just get the damn zapper.

There Is No Vic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: October 30, 2013, 07:29:01 am »

My dwarves were completely unprepared for 70+ ambushers including bat-mounted archers. Turtle up more next time.

Rikbog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: October 30, 2013, 09:38:46 am »

My reclaimed fort is having minibeast issues.  Surprisingly, I haven't been under siege, but I keep getting these not-quite impressive things attack me.

Snow megabeast.  I don't know if the wildlife killed him, or if he melted in the desert, but he never made it to the fort.
Some other megabeast that died really quickly.  I don't even remember him.
Spitting hill giant. I put the bridges up, and he kept shooting my oxen from above (I don't have an indoor pasture yet).  Screw it, open the gates!  The oxen wrecked him, but my militia commander got slightly wounded.  He later died when the other recruit knocked him into a wall.  She got a fast promotion!
Another spitting hill giant. I close the southern gate and make him go the long way while my wrestlers pick up some axes and armor, but he sneaks in fast.  He died in a few seconds.

My pastures are brutal.  I have some war pigs and badgerdogs out there now too.  The drakes are really for their precious scales, but I'll war train them too.

On a side note, I think I should stop making flour for a while.  I have so much hill giant meat!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 09:57:48 am by Rikbog »

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: October 30, 2013, 05:32:37 pm »

Yeah, those mine/megabeasties really deliver the meat. The good news is I don't believe they spoil if you don't butcher them. So you can let their carcasses sit until you're ready for the large influx of meat.

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: November 01, 2013, 01:02:37 am »

Just got finished with 5 years of complete peace.  No ambushes,sieges, nothing.  Then all at once a 50 strong warlock siege showed up, a few minutes later they bumped into two large goblin ambushes.  Apparently they aren't enemies in my world so now I have a massive force outside.  The warlocks also brought giant war bats.  So everyone was locked away down inside while the war bats fight it out with my 50 war shaggy badger dogs.. the dogs aren't doing too well.  Should have armored them earlier.

Then a titan showed up breathing fire.  The siege and ambushes took him down but now half the map is on fire, the bats are rampaging, warlocks have have covered much of the outside with horrible spell effects, my entire military is wiped out and the fully bloodsteel armed drow caravan I let out was slaughtered.  Time to hunker down and become a completely self sufficient force, train up a better army, and maybe try using the embassy to signal for help from the steel caravan.

Future plans: If I can get rid of the bats I'll build a system to pour lava on every inch of land outside my fortress. 

Tierre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: November 01, 2013, 01:26:24 am »

Yeah, go Boatmurdered!

serriffe

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: November 01, 2013, 03:42:26 am »

A vile force of darkness has arrived! In the form of warlocks! But what is that curious mount you're riding good sir?

Why such an otherwise prosaic creature harbors so much disdain for the living, one will never know. What we do know, is that my marksdwarfs are now laughing maniacally while firing shots into a full-fledged warlock civil war.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 113