Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 516663 times)

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #810 on: July 20, 2013, 10:30:07 pm »

Dose wearing cloth made from it give you blisters?

Also, Meph, do you know if custom weather works?
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: July 20, 2013, 10:37:03 pm »

I want this save now.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #812 on: July 20, 2013, 10:40:12 pm »

Usually I would just say yes, custom weather works, since I already use it quite a lot... rain of milk and honey in good regions that add nodrink/noeat temporarily to dwarves... that way they dont get hungry or thirsty if they run around in this magical good rain, and I also have blinding clouds of sand drifting by in deserts...

On the other hand my new glacier weather which adds cold and disorientation and numbness, but can be countered by wearing fur clothing, doesnt seem to naturally occur, so I dont know whats up with that. I just posted about it in the modding questions thread, maybe you guys can have a look.

But in general, yes, custom weather works.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: July 20, 2013, 10:54:51 pm »

But in general, yes, custom weather works.

So I was looking for one of St Leibowitz's sandstorms and I cant find one.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Could you take a look at it and tell me what you think?
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #814 on: July 20, 2013, 11:14:39 pm »

Like I said, it should work... first example is sand, from LFR, second is the milk/honey rain from dwarf chocolate:

Code: [Select]
[INTERACTION:DUST_STORM_NEUTRAL_LFR]
   [I_SOURCE:REGION]
      [IS_REGION:NORMAL_ALLOWED]
      [IS_REGION:SAVAGE_ALLOWED]
      [IS_REGION:EVIL_ALLOWED]
      [IS_REGION:DESERT]
      [IS_FREQUENCY:75]
   [I_TARGET:B:MATERIAL]
      [IT_MATERIAL:MATERIAL:INORGANIC:SAND_BLIND:WEATHER_CREEPING_DUST]
   [I_EFFECT:MATERIAL_EMISSION]
      [IE_TARGET:B]
      [IE_INTERMITTENT:WEEKLY]

[INTERACTION:GOOD_MILK_AND_HONEY_RAIN]
[I_SOURCE:REGION]
[IS_REGION:GOOD_ONLY]
[IS_REGION:SAVAGE_ALLOWED]
[IS_REGION:ANY_TERRAIN]
[IS_FREQUENCY:25]
[I_TARGET:A:MATERIAL]
[IT_MATERIAL:MATERIAL:INORGANIC:MILK_AND_HONEY:WEATHER_FALLING_MATERIAL]
[I_EFFECT:MATERIAL_EMISSION]
[IE_TARGET:A]
[IE_INTERMITTENT:WEEKLY]

Both of those I have seen ingame, but I cant reliably have them all the time, in all deserts and all good biomes. I dont know if regional weather interactions that are procedually generated drown them out, and if a worldgen with evil_rain:0 would help.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: July 21, 2013, 02:34:44 am »

Dose wearing cloth made from it give you blisters?
Normally? No. But you reminded me that the tarnish stalks can be made into cloth, and they currently lack a contact syndrome.

Also, for fans of contact syndromes, Halflings don't wear gloves!
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: July 21, 2013, 02:52:59 am »

We're going to have to make tarnish stalks obscenely useful - past just being an easy fuel source and dirt cheap - to justify ever even scrolling over them in the trade interface, much less farming them. Maybe make them required in some kind steel-like metal production, too, for fun :)
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: July 21, 2013, 02:59:51 am »

We're going to have to make tarnish stalks obscenely useful - past just being an easy fuel source and dirt cheap - to justify ever even scrolling over them in the trade interface, much less farming them. Maybe make them required in some kind steel-like metal production, too, for fun :)
Well, currently I'm working on them, and I'm making the tobacco value at 12, to be a cash crop.
But advanced metallurgy would be cool.
The Derail Thread

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: July 21, 2013, 05:56:22 am »

I -kinda- already did that with Iridium... The trouble is that I may have made both Oxyline and native iridium itself really hard to find, with frequency 25 instead of 100. I'm not sure how to balance it and make it rare-ish, but not faint yellow diamond class rare.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: July 21, 2013, 08:42:59 am »

Overall could make some more advanced chains. For example my original thought was:

Apple trees (and other trees) yield an unit of "tree" that does not have [WOOD] tag -> must be taken to custom building "lumber yard" where it is sawed (wood cutting) into 1-3 logs + any other products such as apples (LY_REACTION_MATs).

I didn't implement that due to a lack of time and wanting to preserve overall familiarity to get started. But I think if more advanced production chains are devised we'd all be fine with them implemented retroactively to old materials in new updates.

A more realistic smelting process might have at least some of the following details, based on my poor understanding of metallurgy:
Have one or several "smelting preprocessors" (kilns, but could call them something else and have several different ones) that feed into the vanilla "smelter", with the following details.
* Native minerals (meteoric iron, gold, copper, native silver, native lead, etc) do not require either flux or fuel to make into bars, and do not yield slag. They don't need to be processed further. This is to balance more difficulty in the others.
* For the rest, they must first be processed. This takes x amount of nuggets and yields y amount of separated metal and x-y slag. Realistically you would have to figure out exactly what is needed ore by ore, but for our purposes could generalize to:
  • Higher value (harder, higher melting point) metals need more fuel (for a higher temperature, common sense), up to 10 units per unit of ore
  • More rare metals yield more slag and less metal, up to 10 nuggets yielding 9 slag and 1 metal (again common sense, reflects how much metal is in the ore)
  • Most metals require flux as a purifying agent to smelt. Potash should also work as a flux.
* Processing yields "separated metal" which is technically an ore that can then be vanilla-smelted (melted) into bars. If you want to get realistic you could occasionally call yours an oxide or whatever, but we're not really being that realistic overall.
* There could be alternative metal-dependent processing routes that give less slag and more metal for ore in return for a more difficult setup, such as using various chemicals for leaching. If we had "copper ore" (e.g. bornite), could have "roast copper ore": 10 ore + 10 fuel -> 5 slag and 5 separated copper and "leach copper ore":5 slag + 5 ore + bucket of acid -> 7-8 separated copper.

I think civilizations would still have material access, because the permitted reactions seem to deliver that. (like halfling access to iridium currently despite no access to smelting).

It would take some concentrated effort to make the basics of all the above but after that it would be only slightly more work per metal to add in new stuff than usual. I'm not sure if the above would be total overkill or just more fun though. :P

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: July 21, 2013, 06:15:02 pm »

I actually had the same thought about the tree idea, I think we should go for it.
The Derail Thread

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: July 21, 2013, 08:06:26 pm »

So, I'm working on the "apple trees can be processed for apples and wood" thing and I've run in to a few problems. At the moment the reaction produces a "logs' and a "plants". The logs can be used for building and everything but the plants are useless as food.

Edit: So now I've turned the crafts shop into a horrifying black hole that eats anything wooden and spits out useless "plants". I'm not very good at reactions.

Edit2: So, They use any logs for the reaction, which produces logs and useless "plants". I put it on repeat and my mayor hasn't moved in days. SCIENCE!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 08:31:04 pm by kopout »

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: July 21, 2013, 08:30:37 pm »

LOL, don't worry, we can help.

Wood chippers for the win.
The Derail Thread

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: July 21, 2013, 08:32:26 pm »

It's actually only logs now. but it's still any logs. Including ones it produces. (Seriously, the mayor has been stuck in an endless log cycle for a month now.)
Edit: here's the reaction
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 08:36:39 pm by kopout »

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: July 21, 2013, 08:35:45 pm »

Guys... you're missing a gimme here.  Why would anybody smoke something that made them cough up blood or eat something that would make them throw up all the time?  Answer: It makes em either happy or numb.  Narcotics, ladies and germs, is the simple answer to why tarnish-stalks would be of any value at all.  Heck, I was reading your tarnish tobacco and thinking "...and god shewed saint urist how to make opium from the poppy seed and they all smoked it and all rejoiced saying, "Verily, brothers, this stuff is GOOOOOD!" 

Possibly your tarnish-stalk substances could give a boost to happiness if drunk as a vodka and impart [nopain] for a little while as a smoke.  It would certainly be medically useful for the badly wounded, even though like RL opiates too much would surely kill them instead.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 08:45:00 pm by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 261