Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: Hotline Miami 2  (Read 16449 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Hotline Miami 2
« Reply #120 on: March 12, 2015, 08:01:44 pm »

I'm starting to like the Swans.  I think the best way to play them is the classic shoot in the air and wait for them to come to you.  That or just play like it's Tony and ignore Ash.

That's basically all Swan 2 is good for, IMO. A free enemy pull, the occasional lucky reflex kill.

To easy, flow is broken, hotline 1 was more fun, sadly disapointing on many levels, but hey it's not horrible afterall.

I can't really blame anyone for coming away with this opinion. I think in trying to make the game harder, they kinda stole the murder train fun from it. But that is all the level design, really, and so is easily remedied once that get that Level Editor out. Plus, with the cult following the game has, I wouldn't be surprised to see more mods for it arrive.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 12, 2015, 08:13:39 pm »

so you remember how I said i'd try hard mode

hahahahahahaha nooooo

I tried to play through the first Jake level and it legit took me an hour and a half yeah fuck this game

i'll come back for the level editor

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 12, 2015, 08:15:20 pm »

I'm starting to like the Swans.  I think the best way to play them is the classic shoot in the air and wait for them to come to you.  That or just play like it's Tony and ignore Ash.

That's basically all Swan 2 is good for, IMO. A free enemy pull, the occasional lucky reflex kill.
Actually, I got a lot of use out of the Swans. Swan 2 can be good backup in the right situation. Then again, I think rolling is also useful, so...
One thing I am kind of annoyed how it seemed like, before the release of the game, that there would be female playable characters. And there were!
That is, one. Swan 2. I think I might actually make a whole level series focusing on just the Swans so I can get my fix of female protagonists. That is if you can't mod in extra characters, which would be cool and might even be possible.
so you remember how I said i'd try hard mode

hahahahahahaha nooooo

I tried to play through the first Jake level and it legit took me an hour and a half yeah fuck this game

i'll come back for the level editor
To be honest, I'm also thinking this. Hard mode... is just insanity. I can't wait for the level editor, though.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 12, 2015, 08:35:33 pm »

Also, does rating have anything to do with seeing more of the story, or unlocking stuff, or anything? I'm not going to bother if it's not. (Setting aside levels like Withdrawal.)
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 12, 2015, 09:52:25 pm »

One thing I am kind of annoyed how it seemed like, before the release of the game, that there would be female playable characters. And there were!
That is, one. Swan 2. I think I might actually make a whole level series focusing on just the Swans so I can get my fix of female protagonists. That is if you can't mod in extra characters, which would be cool and might even be possible.
The Zebra, Corey, also appears to be one, raising the grand total to an incredible 2.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 12, 2015, 09:53:08 pm »

The Zebra, Corey, also appears to be one, raising the grand total to an incredible 2.
Hotline Miami: a new standard in equality.
Sadly, that's actually a better track record then some games.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 12, 2015, 11:34:59 pm »

I'm reinstalling hotline miami 1 to reacquaint myself with the story and the gameplay.

By my recall ruining hte flow does sound about exactly right.  In HM1 (as I recall at least) a good run through a level might last less than a minute.  Murder train is a good word for how a good run went, you never stopped, even the corner luring was all part of one long sequence fit for a Tarantino movie.

Also you used melee weapons as much or more than guns.  I almost never use melee weapons in the new one just cause there's so much open space and so many guns.  Not to mention windows, holy shit windows.
Shoes...

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 13, 2015, 12:18:30 am »

Melee weapons are my favorite - I'm too slow and imprecise to deal with the enemies guns pull - so I was kinda okay with how the game forced me to use guns this time around.

Also which bit was boat 3, again?  The row area?  I thought that part was pretty easy and a nice stack of free kills, though I do recall entering that area with I think the one kinda slow-firing SMG/carbine/whatever.

Did anyone check out the detective's trunk on the boat level, on that note?  I noticed I could open it at the end, but I don't know if that was always a thing with his car or not.  I don't think I could open the trunk when I tried later on, either.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 13, 2015, 12:35:06 am »

You can always open his trunk and yes, it's worth doing in every detective level.  I won't say any more than that.  It's nothing crazy, but it gives some more insight on his character.

Replaying Hotline Miami 1 (I just bought both games, even at their worst they've earned more than an extended demo) and yes, as far as "flow" and smoothness of action goes HM1 is far and away superior to HM2.  HM2 is harder but it's also slower and choppier in its action.  The level design forces you to stop periodically and the necessity of using guns nearly all the time prevents you from moving smoothly through the level with whatever weapons you can grab and throw.

EDIT:  Melee combat is also a lot harder in HM1.  In HM2 you can charge into a crowd of dudes and reasonably expect to cut them down with a couple swings.  In HM1 this never works, weapons' ability to hit multiple enemies is much more limited it seems and enemies are quicker to react in melee.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 01:07:30 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 13, 2015, 01:39:07 am »

Yeah, I had a light bulb go on as I started playing HLM2, where I'd alert a pack of guys, step around a corner, wait til they bunched up at my last known position, then step around the corner again and take out literally 8 guys with two swings. The subway level with the dude that bangs the floor, I pretty much cleared it in one go doing that. You couldn't even get away with taking down a crowd of guys like that in HLM1. So melee is better in two but the level design puts paid to it.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 13, 2015, 03:48:26 am »

Actually, I got a lot of use out of the Swans. Swan 2 can be good backup in the right situation. Then again, I think rolling is also useful, so...
Actually that's Swan 1, the one with the big chainsaw (so says one of the devs). Which I guess is kinda the opposite of what you'd assume from type roles (usually it's the guy that does the "strong" stuff like melee).

And yeah, as Deathsword mentioned, Corey's also female. Which is a bit odd since I don't think Corey works as a female name.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 13, 2015, 05:51:45 am »

And yeah, as Deathsword mentioned, Corey's also female. Which is a bit odd since I don't think Corey works as a female name.
Hi, you've reached the Corey hotline...

E: Something I missed on my way into the second level:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 06:16:04 am by NobodyPro »

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 13, 2015, 07:06:48 am »

Hi, you've reached the Corey hotline...

E: Something I missed on my way into the second level:
Is that a Detective level? Because that's apparently true for all of them.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 13, 2015, 06:49:45 pm »

Is that a Detective level? Because that's apparently true for all of them.
Yeah, it was a detective level.

Now that I think about it, Corey is probably short for Cornelia.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 07:28:00 pm by NobodyPro »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 13, 2015, 07:15:38 pm »

Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11