Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

Author Topic: Hotline Miami 2  (Read 16440 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Hotline Miami 2
« Reply #105 on: March 11, 2015, 08:19:40 pm »

I've always thought enemy gunfire needed to alert other enemies. It might end up causing everyone in the level to dog pile, but it's just another thing the AI is too stupid to deal with, so you can pull a lot of peek-a-boo shenanigans to lure ranged enemies out of position for an easy kill.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 11, 2015, 08:35:58 pm »

I just assume that 99.9% of all Russian mafiya (The 00.1% percent is the Son and the Henchman) are deaf, dumb, and mostly blind. Hence why they can't yell for help, can't hear their comrades firing off shots, or notice the corpses of their comrades on the floor.
It's a shame, because the best part of Hotline Miami's combat is how movie-like it is. When you really succeed, it's like you're playing a Quentin Tarintino movie. So the little inconsistencies can be niggling. Maybe they'll update the AI someday.
I wonder if they'll ever release the gamemaker files for Hotline Miami. It'd be the ultimate conclusion to the level editor situation.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 11, 2015, 08:59:55 pm »

I think the enemies are dumb enough as they are now. If friendly fire was a thing the game would be too easy. Seriously, a shotgun blast should catch the attention of many more enemies then just the few closest ones, altough that would make the game a bit cheesy and prob even easier since they have a tendency to clump togheder instead of taking tactical approaches.

"A MASKED MANIAC IS KILLING EVERYONE AND HE JUST SHOT SOMEONE WITH A SHOTGUN OMGGGG LETS RUSH AT HIM WITH OUR MELEE WEAPONS"
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 11, 2015, 09:01:04 pm »

Honestly the sound thing isn't even that bad compared to stuff like blowing a guy across the room and his friends don't even notice because they didn't hear the gunshot.
Shoes...

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 12, 2015, 03:03:53 am »

Making the AI smarter would shoot the concept of combos not so much in the foot but in the head. I don't think it'd work with HM's gameplay.

What I realize I find a bit jarring, though, is that now there's 10+ people who can clear out 3+ floors of mobsters like Jacket and Helmet could. Like when it was just 2 people out of many failures (all the guys you picked up masks from), it wasn't as weird. But now it's like "well, just about anyone can do it". Hell, they even
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's like that Assassin's Creed 1-2 problem, where the assassins being able to parkour all over the place is a bit weird but acceptable, but when everyone in the game can do it, it becomes really ridiculous.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 07:10:41 am by Virtz »

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 12, 2015, 03:43:40 am »

So, I've finished the game yesterday evening. A few thoughts:

English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 12, 2015, 01:25:58 pm »

Finished the game and S-ranked the bonus level

God trying to get the disk in Withdrawal has to be the biggest pain in the ass I've ever dealt with.

Also

On that note, is there a level creator? I don't think i've found it yet.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 12, 2015, 02:12:45 pm »

Finished the game and S-ranked the bonus level

God trying to get the disk in Withdrawal has to be the biggest pain in the ass I've ever dealt with.

Also

On that note, is there a level creator? I don't think i've found it yet.

Not yet, it's currently too alpha to be released apparently.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 12, 2015, 04:08:32 pm »

« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 06:35:07 pm by Deathsword »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 12, 2015, 05:00:00 pm »

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 12, 2015, 05:31:26 pm »

I think I'm done with Hotline Miami 2. I can't push myself to get through the last few bullshit levels with A+ nor can I get past the boat level on hard (it's so fucking bad, that third level is impossible).
Maybe I'll come back to it when the editor rolls around.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 12, 2015, 05:42:02 pm »

I think I'm done with Hotline Miami 2. I can't push myself to get through the last few bullshit levels with A+ nor can I get past the boat level on hard (it's so fucking bad, that third level is impossible).

Even on Normal that 3rd screen took me probably an hour to finish. You have to execute that first group of kills perfectly or you're screwed, and there's just the hint of random weapons, reactions and movement to make it unpredictable to boot. No running away, no hiding, and the mix of shotguns, dogs and fat guys means you can't just easily corner camp them. You can barely even back up.

I really do not enjoy starting levels when you're boxed in like that, and that seems to kind of be a dominant design theme in this one, whereas it was saved for the last few levels in HLM1. It starts feeling like there's only one right way to do things.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 12, 2015, 06:32:56 pm »

Even on Normal that 3rd screen took me probably an hour to finish. You have to execute that first group of kills perfectly or you're screwed, and there's just the hint of random weapons, reactions and movement to make it unpredictable to boot. No running away, no hiding, and the mix of shotguns, dogs and fat guys means you can't just easily corner camp them. You can barely even back up.

I really do not enjoy starting levels when you're boxed in like that, and that seems to kind of be a dominant design theme in this one, whereas it was saved for the last few levels in HLM1. It starts feeling like there's only one right way to do things.

For me it was the boat level (did anyone not get to the third screen and go "are you kidding me"), and the final screen as Jake (The only way I could beat it was by bringing a machine gun and tapping the door so I could gun them down in the doorway).

I'm not quite burned out on it yet, so next i'll try to get through the game on hardmode.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 12, 2015, 07:01:32 pm »

I'm starting to like the Swans.  I think the best way to play them is the classic shoot in the air and wait for them to come to you.  That or just play like it's Tony and ignore Ash.
Shoes...

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 12, 2015, 07:56:14 pm »

To easy, flow is broken, hotline 1 was more fun, sadly disapointing on many levels, but hey it's not horrible afterall.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11