Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 181

Author Topic: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early access) (its still alive!)  (Read 325392 times)

DarkWolfXV

• Bay Watcher
  • Infernally rotten to the gore.
    • View Profile

Making a ship with dimensions larger than 200m tends to cause problems. Especially if you pass 300. Double especially if someone else's ship gets near to ramming you. Triple especially if they're also flying a large ship.

Why so? Cant turn and you die? If you make a biiiiig ship, it usually has enough shields to not give a fuck about any damage from small/medium ships, and large ships are almost equally immobile as the biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig ship, so the one with better stats wins. Also if you make BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG ship you will have LOOOOOOOOOOOOOTSAAAA turrets. Or biiiiiiiiiiiiiig turrets.
Goats will ignore your grass and eat the neighbours' roses. They're just evil bastards like that.
Probably thats why they are used with pentagrams on covers of Satanic Black Metal albums.
BURNING SHIT AND EATING ROOSESSSSSS DDOFOFAOAARRRAHYYYE

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Honestly, in terms of size those classifications make no sense

To my knowledge there isn't even a need for size classifications in a world where there is nothing to distinguish the sizes except for size.

At least in naval and aeronautic classifications the sizes really did make a difference. You didn't make a carrier sized destroyer ship.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Making a ship with dimensions larger than 200m tends to cause problems. Especially if you pass 300. Double especially if someone else's ship gets near to ramming you. Triple especially if they're also flying a large ship.

Why so? Cant turn and you die? If you make a biiiiig ship, it usually has enough shields to not give a fuck about any damage from small/medium ships, and large ships are almost equally immobile as the biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig ship, so the one with better stats wins. Also if you make BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG ship you will have LOOOOOOOOOOOOOTSAAAA turrets. Or biiiiiiiiiiiiiig turrets.

No, he means that it will cause lag and assorted server issues.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

it usually has enough shields to not give a fuck about any damage from small/medium ships

Shields have a cap so to speak.

I already have a weapon that can dent large ships and I have a small ship.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

it usually has enough shields to not give a fuck about any damage from small/medium ships

They do have a cap indeed. It's a ridiculously high one (more than 5M/s regen) and I've only seen it achieved once, in a previous version to boot, but it exists.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile

To my knowledge there isn't even a need for size classifications in a world where there is nothing to distinguish the sizes except for size.

At least in naval and aeronautic classifications the sizes really did make a difference. You didn't make a carrier sized destroyer ship.

yea, actually the flexible class system is kinda nice!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

DarkWolfXV

• Bay Watcher
  • Infernally rotten to the gore.
    • View Profile

If 5M/s is the cap, im quite sure no small ship will "dent" it, if someone ever reaches it. It also works both ways. If you attack a large ship, you MIGHT dent it (people with large ships have as much thrust as small ones and can run to regen shields etc.), but if a large ships attacks you, you will be DENTED to hell and back, plus there are turrets which for another large ships are mostly a mere annoyance, but for small ships they are another thing to dodge and are actually threatening because for really large ships a single turret will be about as powerful as the small ship or more. At one point large ships have AMC lasers so fast and quick that they are hard to outmaneuver even by medium ships. Maybe small ones up to 50 mass or something, but i dont know your definition of small. If you have a ship made from 400 AMC's, 25 power, 1 core, 50 thrusters, 24 shields, you will maybe dent something, but normally people leave at least some walking space and not design their ship for pure firepower.

yea, actually the flexible class system is kinda nice!

I also kinda like the flexible system but still prefer the Blitzwing system
Goats will ignore your grass and eat the neighbours' roses. They're just evil bastards like that.
Probably thats why they are used with pentagrams on covers of Satanic Black Metal albums.
BURNING SHIT AND EATING ROOSESSSSSS DDOFOFAOAARRRAHYYYE

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you have a ship made from 400 AMC's

No, I took advantage of a flaw in the way the game handles bonuses. I cannot destroy a faction module but I can shred the shields of large ship.

I call it Laser Busters.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile

Yeah, weapon damage bonus scales too low at higher amounts. It's better to have 2 10-block AMCs than 1 20 block one as long as you can hit your target with both of them.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It is especially funny with those ships that have the 200 block antimatter cannons... Sure they will take down a ships shields pretty fast, but now they have to take down the armor one block at a time.

I do wish there was a way to tell the guns to do a spread shot against a ship.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile

Hence we have missiles. They can't damage shields at all (Bug?) but they can erase large chunks of blocks if the shields are down. Since 400 damage is enough to destroy any block excluding faction blocks, you don't need that big a launcher.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I avoid missiles like the plague.

Dumbfire cannot hit squat, Heatseekers will hit anything including things you didn't want to, and homing has a glitch that renders it consistently incapable of being used.

Hence why I use a much more consistent weapon that I bolster in anyway I can.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile

construction of the star fortress continues!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

the only question is: what to do with this space?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

how do you guys like it? any suggestion? I know I already got "add a giant salvage gun at the bottom", any more?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Needs moar powah!

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

...can I call dibs on the free space inside that tower? I want an apartment inside your starfortress. Maybe with a docking port attached, too.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 181