Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Final Fantasy XIV - A Realm Reborn  (Read 4718 times)

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy XIV - A Realm Reborn
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2014, 11:04:27 am »

Well I've decided to take up residence on Leviathan.  I was eyeballing Gilgamesh, but it looked like both servers were roughly equal progression-wise, but I saw more late-night action going on over in Leviathan, so I decided to stay there. 

Just about to hit 20 on my arcanist, Somina Lucado.  Demo Warlock to arcanist - seems like a pretty good transition to me. 

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2014, 09:43:18 pm »

I've been enjoying my time in FF XIV. Granted, only level 13 and stuck on the island Arcanists start on...guess have to be level 15 to leave...

It is better than ESO (I tried that recently) and any other themepark MMO I played, except WoW was tons of fun (the expansion sucks for a crafter though, so I won't be playing it). I think what I like most to be honest, is FFXIV has an awesome development team...and heck, a recent update came out with a FREE class...no EXPANSION...FREE...IN A PATCH...only EVE has ever done anything similar to that (CCP has free expansions so sorta counts). I haven't ever seen a themepark release a free class in just a patch though.

I also like the crafting mechanics, except WoW had more fun crafting (bombs, robots, floating carpet, random potions that do silly stuff).

I started on the server Faerie...funny enough...I didn't know...but the name made it sound like it would have the friendliest community...and when I went to read about it...sure enough...it does.

Don't really care about the top 2 servers, not interested in raids to be honest. And raiding community isn't always the greatest and always showing epeen and being first :P but faerie has been very friendly all around. :)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 09:52:08 pm by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2014, 11:32:53 pm »

and I don't think if I took arcanist as a 2nd job I'd get the arcanist pet...I was told I wouldn't...so kinda forced to be an arcanist.

??

There's no "second" or "first" jobs [in that sense]. You can level up every single class on one character, whenever you want, without missing out on anything. When you say pets, are you talking about the summons? [Carbuncles] If so, no, you absolutely cannot miss out on them. That would be like missing out on the ability to heal as a white mage. Arcanist is the summoning class; kinda needs summons. There'd be nothing stopping you from leveling up Thaumaturge until you get to 15/20 or whatever level it was that lets you use the airship, and then switching to arcanist.

Also, when you say island, you don't mean Limsa Lominsa, do you? If so, it's one of the three main hubs.. so it's not going away any time soon, nor are you missing out on anything between the other two. I'm also pretty sure it's the most popular of the three.

Well, if I want the summon pets...I have to choose Arcanist. At least that is what I was told. I was told you can't be Thaumaturge, and then choose Arcanist as a "2nd" class and still get summons. Or was the person wrong?

And yeah, Limsa Lominsa. My least favorite one to start on, because you can't leave till level 15 main quest...kind of traps you there. Its no big deal though, but kind of annoying you can't choose to leave like you can with the other cities before level 15 main quest.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2014, 04:28:11 pm »

Probably resubbing once the money comes through on Paypal. 3 days or so I'd guess.

Rogue/Ninja looks pretty sweet.

You should look me up if you're still on Lev.  I just hit 30 recently and unlocked scholar, so I can bring the healz for all your leveling classes.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2014, 12:14:40 pm »

Also a free login weekend for people who own the game but aren't currently subscribed.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2014, 11:30:42 am »

By the way, I have just created a character on Leviathan, so if anyone of you want to friendlist or invite me to a guild, my haracter's name is Kurinrin Krillinlin.
He's a Lalafell and currently a pugilist.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2014, 03:06:22 am »

So, at what hours are you usually online (playing the game) and which timezone? Mine is GMT +1
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 03:08:01 am by Ultimuh »

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2014, 10:11:25 am »

I'm pretty much on after 11 PM CST.   Which I think is UTC -6.   

I kind of dropped scholar because after playing a warlock in WoW and a mystic in TERA, I'm pretty much done with the "DoT and pet" class archetype.  So now I'm getting my conjuror on and am up to level 28 I think?

I'd be happy to raid with anyone once I get up to that level.  I've done hardmode raiding in WoW so I can understand concepts like not standing in the poop and following instructions =P

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2014, 02:42:00 pm »

Well, I am on Leviathan server with my Lalafel now. His name is in my sig.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2015, 06:08:02 pm »

Anybody play this?

Heavensward is just a few days away now. Or right now if you pre-purchased HW.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2015, 05:06:49 pm »

I play ... intermittently.  On Leviathan.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2015, 12:42:26 am »

Also Leviathan.

I might give Heavensward a pass though. I don't feel very great about paying $40 for some extra classes in a game I already had to buy, and pay a monthly subscription for on top of that.

Well, I dunno. Its nice to get free expansions, like EVE.

But...in theory the expansions that you pay for are bigger and better. And FFXIV DOES put out more content than any pay to play MMO does, at least way more than WoW. Granted, WoW is a perfect example of this not being true. You pay 15, get an occasional tiny big patch (they used to be way bigger and more often) and then...not even a year into the expansions life (and WoD was such a horrible, tiny expansion that people (including me) paid big money for...not even a year later they give up on it and its time to wait a year (even 6 months is too long if it happens to be that) for new content. So, paid expansions aren't always better...anyone can look at Blizzard for that counter-argument. They pretty much have given up on WoW and moved to cheaper bigger cash cows.

But, I've seen FFXIV. It seems the developers really care about their game, unlike Blizzard. It has its issues, like...I'd love a way to easily block spam bots without it taking an ignore slot like WoW does. And a right click "report spam" button like WoW does. That is my biggest annoyance. But they put out so much content, that...at least for now...its definitely worth the price.

But WoW expansions I felt were worth the price until the company changed and got lazy.

But its not just WoW. FFXIV puts out WAY more content than even GW2, granted GW2 is free and FFXIV you pay for...so not the greatest example. But still.

FFXIV is definitely not perfect. But its way better than any pay to play MMO out there, except maybe EVE (not really my type of MMO) and that is dying too (population is at 2008 levels now). And its better than the lame freemium MMOs that end up costing more money with either cash shop or having to spend vastly more time to get free cash shop items with in-game gold and that takes SO much more time than just paying for a quick unlock. And time is money, friend. The only other MMO I play on the side (well a few) is The Secret World (and that I play more as a singleplayer RPG) and Guild Wars 2 (that I also funny enough play as a singleplayer RPG lol). I occasionally play Ultima Online (free :P) too, for a classic experience and that game is great for grouping like FFXIV is.

But, I can't think of any other MMO that puts out so much content than FFXIV. GW2 and maybe EVE too as I see their updates are quite often. Definitely worth the price.

If the FFXIV team ever become like Blizzard, unlike my time in WoW and trying to stick it out...I'm bailing the hell out of there :P
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 12:46:51 am by Vendayn »

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2015, 03:04:05 am »

N/A.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 03:26:43 am by Rex Invictus »
Pages: 1 [2]