Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Final Fantasy XIV - A Realm Reborn  (Read 4721 times)

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
Final Fantasy XIV - A Realm Reborn
« on: June 15, 2013, 06:25:55 pm »

I used the search function and couldn't find a thread about this one. While I loved the aesthetics of the original, its UI and features were sadly lacking. A Realm Reborn isn't just a relaunch, it is a sequel. Almost everything about the game was reworked from the grounds up.

I had access to the alpha of ARR, but didn't have the time to play it during the limited testing times. There is a beta weekend I have also access to going on right now and with the NDA having been lifted a couple days back, I decided to see how the game's doing and stream/record the game while at it. If you're interested in seeing how the game is doing nowadays, you can have a look at http://www.twitch.tv/ygdrad as I explore the game.

Edit: I was rather quickly reminded that I could only post screenshots by someone who hopped onto the stream. This will have to wait until another time. I will get you some nice screenshots meanwhile though. Just to be on the safe side though, the following applies to any image I post in this thread:
All company, product, system names and/or company logos and marks are theregistered trademarks or trademarks of their respective owners.
Copyright (C) 2010 - 2013 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved.

If you want screenshots of anything in particular or have any questions about the game, I'll be happy to provide some images/answers.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 07:42:53 pm by Ygdrad »
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Vel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy XIV - A Realm Reborn
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 06:42:34 pm »

You might want to hold off, it was only a partial NDA lift -- everything was lifted except video and audio recordings, so I'm not sure streaming is allowed.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 06:43:59 pm »

It was definitely a UI nightmare (along with some kinda shitty gameplay imo) when I was playing it in beta.

Have they fixed at least the consolitis on PC version?
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 07:00:53 pm »

You might want to hold off, it was only a partial NDA lift -- everything was lifted except video and audio recordings, so I'm not sure streaming is allowed.

The stream wasn't up for more than 2 minutes when I was reminded that I couldn't post videos yet in the chat.

It was definitely a UI nightmare (along with some kinda shitty gameplay imo) when I was playing it in beta.

Have they fixed at least the consolitis on PC version?

I played the game with a 360 controller, but even with that the controls were terrible before. I am pretty happy with the new gamepad controls. Instead of having to slowly scroll through a skillbar to activate abilities, you now hold either the left or right trigger and press a direction on the D-Pad one of the ABXY buttons. Allowing quick/instant access to 16 abilities. Like so:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm trying out the mouse-keyboard controls and the game seems perfectly keyboard&mouse-friendly, no less so than any other mmo out there. They went with the standard WASD approach.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 07:58:22 pm by Ygdrad »
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 05:53:14 am »

I am playing this game as well.
So I will be posting here to watch.

edit: Just realized last post was 16th of June.

edit2: Soon the game will be open beta, and I hope some of you would be interested in this game, despite it being Pay 2 Play once released.
I can assure you one thing tough, it is much better than WoW (at least in my own humble opinion).
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 10:41:54 am by Ultimuh »

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 04:13:44 pm »

Soon the Open Beta will be open for.. everyone.
Will be from the 17th to the 19th, so be sure to try the game, should it interest any of you.

I have a character on Cerberus (European server) named Uriel Ultim, in case you want to say hello.

edit: And so the Open Beta ends.
Overall, it has been a productive week-end (in my opinion), with 17 levels with my main class, 15 levels with my secondary class and 5-10 ish with all the other classes.
Next time I play, it will be during the early access (Which requires a pre-order.) most other people, it will be officially launched the 27th.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 10:51:08 am by Ultimuh »

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 08:35:13 am »

* Ultimuh raises the topic from the grave.

Anyone here playing this game at all?
If so, what server are you on?
I kinda feel lonely here..

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 09:15:54 am »

I'm playing on Excalibur though I'm in a Free Company with a bunch of friends already.
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 01:33:28 pm »

I this game, they are called Miquote.
And while there is no flirting emotion command, I think you can still do something similar.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 11:15:25 am »

N-N-N-N-NECRO

So I'm trying this out.  Anyone here still play?  I haven't set up my account yet, so I'm open to potentially working with someone and this game's recruit-a-friend bonus thing.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 06:51:26 pm »

N-N-N-N-NECRO

So I'm trying this out.  Anyone here still play?  I haven't set up my account yet, so I'm open to potentially working with someone and this game's recruit-a-friend bonus thing.

I would but I have not for a while.
Been busy with other games.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 07:01:35 pm »

I did the trial when it came out.  They have most definitely fixed their shit.  Its one of the best of the modern generation.... for a themepark MMO, which is why I didn't continue past the trial anyway (though I definitely thought about it, which I guess is a good as an endorsement as I can give).
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2014, 03:32:02 am »

I decided to take a break from it a couple weeks ago because it started to feel like work; I'd been playing literally every single day for hours up until then and it just got to be too much.

I'll probably get back into it at some point, but I'm kind of enjoying the free time to play smash bros and work on my japanese right now.

Had a ilvl 90ish PLD, was getting ready to try Coil. Also a lvl 35ish Monk, Bard, Conjurer.

Played on Leviathan.

Leviathan.. I forgot.. European or American server?

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2014, 09:11:23 am »

I decided to take a break from it a couple weeks ago because it started to feel like work; I'd been playing literally every single day for hours up until then and it just got to be too much.

I'll probably get back into it at some point, but I'm kind of enjoying the free time to play smash bros and work on my japanese right now.

Had a ilvl 90ish PLD, was getting ready to try Coil. Also a lvl 35ish Monk, Bard, Conjurer.

Played on Leviathan.

Leviathan.. I forgot.. European or American server?
American. 

I've ended up with a character on Leviathan and Gilgamesh.  I'll switch between the two for a bit before deciding on which server to lay down some roots.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2014, 12:16:54 pm »

I guess I'll make a character on Leviathan at some point.
However the new WoW Expansion is releasing soon-ish, so I'll probably not make that character until some time after December.
I'll mmake a post here when I do, might be earlier or later than I estimate though.
Pages: [1] 2