Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 26

Author Topic: Hardcorize/Casualize a game  (Read 40486 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Hardcorize/Casualize a game
« Reply #300 on: July 11, 2013, 08:46:19 am »

Hardcore chess
No 2-step rules/ enpassant
No threefold repetition rules
No castling
No check/mate rules
The game ha 500 move rule instead of the 50 one.
You can only claim the 500-move rule, after it happened, if you are going to make the move that will make the 500-move rule happen you cant request a draw at this same turn.

So, remove all etablished gameplay mechanics and add in a dull mechanic that will make the game last forever?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: July 11, 2013, 08:52:07 am »

The no check/mate rule is actually standard in blitz chess.  The rest of it actually just reverts some of the European rule changes to make it closer to the (extremely drawn out and boring) original Indian game.

e: It's kindof interesting to see how the Europeans, Japanese and Chinese all agreed that the original game was too slow, and the different ways in which they decided to improve it.  They produced Chess, Shogi and Xiangqi respectively from these improvements.

exdeathbr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: July 11, 2013, 06:54:55 pm »

Hardcore chess
[snip]
No check/mate rules

Wait, what?

Hardcore chess
No 2-step rules/ enpassant
No threefold repetition rules
No castling
No check/mate rules
The game ha 500 move rule instead of the 50 one.
You can only claim the 500-move rule, after it happened, if you are going to make the move that will make the 500-move rule happen you cant request a draw at this same turn.

So, remove all etablished gameplay mechanics and add in a dull mechanic that will make the game last forever?

The reason that are usually stated to why some rule exist and then why I removed it.

-2-step rule
Made to make the game faster. This is a hardcore version, there is no need to that.

castling
Made to move the king out of center.
Why the hell would this be needed? Hardcore players would not need this aid.

No check/mate rules
Check rules are made to  avoid having players losing by a mistake.
The hardcore players wouldnt need this help.

50 move rule
Made to avoid long games, in theory if the situation that this rule talks about, happen, its because the game is going nowhere.
The problem is that there are some situations that would have more than 50 turns without pawn moves and piece capture and you would still be able to mate, so I increase the 50 move rule to 500.
This number can be increased on decreased as someone discover what is the max amount of turns under this new chess rules between capture (or pawn moving).

being able to call the draw at the same moment you create the 50 move rule
Dont know why this rule exist.
Removed it, because the idea of the rule is to avoid long games. So if a player is at a bad situation he can't call a draw to leave this bad situation.

thressfold repetition
To avoid long games
500 move already remove the need to this rule.

The no check/mate rule is actually standard in blitz chess.  The rest of it actually just reverts some of the European rule changes to make it closer to the (extremely drawn out and boring) original Indian game.

e: It's kindof interesting to see how the Europeans, Japanese and Chinese all agreed that the original game was too slow, and the different ways in which they decided to improve it.  They produced Chess, Shogi and Xiangqi respectively from these improvements.
Many variants dont have check or mate rules. But yes, many variants are like this because the guy was not able to find a way to conver the check or chess rules to the changes he made.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 06:59:39 pm by exdeathbr »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: July 11, 2013, 09:18:49 pm »

Fast chess is hardcore chess.  There are rules where you have a minute on the clock and it adds 2 seconds every move.  AKA you have to make the majority of your moves in less than 2 seconds.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
« Reply #304 on: July 11, 2013, 10:23:00 pm »

how to hardcorize Real Llife, add Magma and dwarfs..
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 11, 2013, 11:12:55 pm »

Real Life features both magma and dwarfism.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: July 11, 2013, 11:31:53 pm »

Casual Battletoads: Double Dragon

Hardcore (Any Mario Game): Super Mario World
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 12, 2013, 04:56:05 am »

Hardcore Catacomb Snatch
You have limited ammo that you have to pick up from an ammo crate in your camp (that can also run empty, but a new one will be dropped from a manner of an airship every 5 or so minutes). IF you have no ammo then you have to use a machete. (which you can use even if you have ammo anyway)
Everything can kill you in one hit, and there's a respawn timer associated with death.

Turrets can be upgraded (like in the community version of the game), but they also have to be supplied with ammo every so often.
Collectors will increase the value of the goods stored within them the longer they keep them. Upgrading them increases their sucking radius and "bank" power.

Building tracks takes a bit of time and you have to carry them from your base (and again, limited supply).

There are now curses in the game, which may screw you up in the long run.

exdeathbr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: July 12, 2013, 03:07:39 pm »

Hardcore real life: New world order conspiracies are true
Casual real life: You are part of the power that be.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: July 12, 2013, 03:33:14 pm »

Hardcore real life: Remove electromagnetism.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: July 12, 2013, 10:48:23 pm »

Holy hell.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #311 on: July 12, 2013, 11:15:05 pm »

Casual Mode Life: 0-11 years old.

Casual Mode Conway's Game of Life: Cells no longer die of overcrowding or loneliness.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: July 12, 2013, 11:29:44 pm »

I am fairly certain that removing any of the four fundamental forces would destroy the entire universal order, let alone kill everything.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: July 12, 2013, 11:30:47 pm »

Hardcore X-COM (New): X-COM (Old).

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: July 12, 2013, 11:34:27 pm »

I'd actually dispute that. NewCom is far more difficult and hardcore than OldCom. In OldCom you can rush research and have swarms of completely expendable soldiers. Every decison in NewCom is of vast tactical importance, especially on Classic and Impossible. One base, one research focus, can't sell lazer cannons to African warlords, soldiers are limited in both scope and number.

In fact, NewCom is better than OldCom in almost every way. That's right, I said it. I'm not sorry.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 26