Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 26

Author Topic: You are a Lord II - OOC  (Read 30385 times)

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Lord II - OOC
« Reply #270 on: June 19, 2013, 01:53:58 am »

Cockels? Really?

Its an expression.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 19, 2013, 02:02:13 am »

On a side note, here's how medieval banks worked.

-Medieval banks didn't lend money. ((One, lot's of people would just run with it, and there was a religious taboo on lending*))
-Medieval banks didn't rely on peasants. Peasants barely got money, can't write, and are rather mistrustfull. It's easierto just bury the money after all.
-What medieval banks actually did was write charters. Ie, you got a bank in city A, and one in city B. So trader X goes to bank A, givesthem money, gets a letter, travels to bank B, and then gets his money from said bank. Makes traveling a lot safer.

*Hence why the Jews were moneylenders

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 19, 2013, 04:51:04 am »

On a side note, here's how medieval banks worked.

-Medieval banks didn't lend money. ((One, lot's of people would just run with it, and there was a religious taboo on lending*))
-Medieval banks didn't rely on peasants. Peasants barely got money, can't write, and are rather mistrustfull. It's easierto just bury the money after all.
-What medieval banks actually did was write charters. Ie, you got a bank in city A, and one in city B. So trader X goes to bank A, givesthem money, gets a letter, travels to bank B, and then gets his money from said bank. Makes traveling a lot safer.

*Hence why the Jews were moneylenders

I wouldn't say that banks didn't do lending, since Italians and Germans did that alot, but there were a lot of reservations about the practice and most borrowing was done by nobles to cover costs of wars, or they pawned their lands and jewels.
But yeah, modern form of banking is not going ot work in a feudal setting. Meridia is 90%+  peasantry and woodsmen who have little in temrs of curreny and use mostly copper pennies or slivers of silver filed off from bigger coins, while nobles and burghers live in single locations and don't move wealth around alot. We would need more merchants and trade to encourage mobility of wealth and use of currency instead of payments in kind.

Yep, we definitely need roads and canals.

Alexandria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 19, 2013, 05:10:52 am »

Lol you so strongly dislike somebody you knew for all of 3 minutes...... right.
The darkness was eternal, all-powerful, unchangeable.
She had stared into it for to many years, alone and unblinking, determined that it would not take her.
Now it never would.
Now she was lighting a candle.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 19, 2013, 05:15:43 am »

Lol you so strongly dislike somebody you knew for all of 3 minutes...... right.

Dislike whom? 

Alexandria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 19, 2013, 05:16:51 am »

GWG, he hates a random blade so much he's leaving her to die. Having known her for all of 3 minutes.
She had stared into it for to many years, alone and unblinking, determined that it would not take her.
Now it never would.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 19, 2013, 05:21:42 am »

Well, get back at him. Make up lies, slander him, tell king a report and so on. 

Alexandria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 19, 2013, 05:49:56 am »

That kind of depends on how far I take the rules made up for the blades.

If I follow them to the letter he's just declared war on us in which case he'll be dead before he reaches the castle, but we'll see when I return if I've come up with any more fitting ideas.
Now it never would.

Brood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 19, 2013, 09:55:28 am »

The guilds are all run by NPC right? and each industry runs it's own guild. It's not just 1 big guild.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 19, 2013, 10:08:22 am »

There are probably even multiple guilds per industry.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 19, 2013, 10:09:33 am »

The guilds are all run by NPC right? and each industry runs it's own guild. It's not just 1 big guild.
Yup, like any feudal economy. Mind you, guilds mostly apply to city-based trades like carpenters, smiths, clothmakers, butchers, etc. Guilds like explorers, warriors and other fantasy staples are yet to be created or exist in a very small form but they can be easily built up if turns out kingdom needs them.

For a merchant, either a trading company or a guild are power bases and euqivalents of modern corporations. Going at it alone is always a bad idea but remember, this game won't feature more complex exonomy (hopefully!).

Brood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 19, 2013, 10:15:05 am »

Once I hopefully avoid torture I'm gonna offer my services to the guilds in helping to raise profit and lower costs.

Also in trying to expand certain guilds I think.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 19, 2013, 10:17:15 am »

Most guilds tend to be rather protectionistic. Then again, most merchants don't lug massive amounts of gold around.

Brood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 19, 2013, 10:29:38 am »

Well I'm offering a chance, to make more and spend less.

They should like it, plus I can offer a small investment to help it along.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 19, 2013, 01:17:43 pm »

Yup, like any feudal economy. Mind you, guilds mostly apply to city-based trades like carpenters, smiths, clothmakers, butchers, etc. Guilds like explorers, warriors and other fantasy staples are yet to be created or exist in a very small form but they can be easily built up if turns out kingdom needs them.

For a merchant, either a trading company or a guild are power bases and euqivalents of modern corporations. Going at it alone is always a bad idea but remember, this game won't feature more complex exonomy (hopefully!).

No it most certainly will not.

Edit:  A word on gift plate.  For it to have a mechanical effect it'll cost £5.  Otherwise I'll assume it's pretty but ineffective.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 01:25:28 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 26