Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: NEW Warhammer 40k MMO "Eternal Crusade"! "Like Planetside and EVE" -the devs  (Read 13813 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

It all really comes down to the pricing model. But all signs point to them having no idea how the market actually reacts to these things. Which is further reinforced by the total absence of any earned-in game advancements. The time it takes to earn things in game is the stick that gets players to bite the carrot which is giving you money. Simply not giving them an option? Congratulations, there's thousands of customers who will tell you to go fuck yourselves, even if these things cost between $1 and $5. If the cost of a new class is even worse, like $25 to $30 (would not surprise me at all), only the most insane 40k players with tons of cash to blow on unknowns will be your customers. At least with the table top figs you can rationalize that you own a physical model. Warframe would be in the exact same boat were it not for the fact you can earn those things in game.

I can hear my friends now.

"Can you play Eldar?"

"Yeah but you have to pay for each Eldar class you want to play."

"What can you play for free?"

"An Ork Boy."

"....just an Ork Boy?"

"Yeah."

"Welp, fuck that."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile

Ah yeah, I read it. I don't agree at all with their reasoning, but Orkz are da bestest anyways, what do I care.
ftfy

... and remember: da red ones go fastah!

EDIT: woah, totally forgot that was two pages ago
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile

Just imagine: you spent two hundred dollars on the game. You won four campaigns, and you’re one of the top Space Marine players in your chapter in a huge battle, and suddenly you fail to pay attention and you end up wounded on the ground, and then you see a puny free to play Ork that just started playing the game running towards you and he executes you in a very humiliating way (because Orks are like that), for instance by choking you by sitting with his butt in your face with the teabagging execution he purchased for $1.
Excuse me? You're implying that I'm going to have to spend $200 to be a competitive Space Marine here. Are you kidding? And the entire section I pulled that from is about monetizing griefing - that turns my stomach. Griefing happens in every game, but holy mother - these guys are trying to profit off of it? Most companies actually try to discourage rampant griefing where possible, for crying out loud.
HOW DID I MISS THAT
$200? TEABAGGING ANIMATION?
CALL THE SISTERS OF BATTLE! WIPE OUT THE ARCOFLAGELLATORS!
INQUISITORS! TONIGHT THE HERETICS DINE IN HELL!
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile

Jesus, I wanted this to be good soooo badly but nope. I guess no IG for me then.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am waiting for their forums to open up, so that 4chan and legions of other fans descends and threatens/tears into them to the point of making a good game.
Actually, /tg/ seemed oddly on-board after they collected and de-coded all the information.

F2P players can only play as Boys but they can apparently go as 'sideways' as they want within the Ork faction. I'm guessing that means that they can play as other 'Boy'-type Orks (Burna/Loota/Storm/Slugga/Tankbusta/'Ard) but not the more elite Ork types (Nobs/Oddboys/Bosses(/Flashgits?)), these will probably be the 'premium classes'.

Apparently, one payment unlocks all the factions though they presumably also have 'premium classes'.

/tg/ is of the opinion that the stuff about the Sisters is surgical trolling because it's based on a piece of Grey Knights fluff that makes no sense.

This is entirely based on stuff I read while half-asleep so take it with a pinch of salt.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

F2P players can only play as Boys but they can apparently go as 'sideways' as they want within the Ork faction. I'm guessing that means that they can play as other 'Boy'-type Orks (Burna/Loota/Storm/Slugga/Tankbusta/'Ard) but not the more elite Ork types (Nobs/Oddboys/Bosses(/Flashgits?)), these will probably be the 'premium classes'.

I took it to mean that "Boyz" are a class with a few options, while Burnas/Lootas ect were their own class with their own options, skills, ect... and each costs their own. Link the /tg/ thread?

If one payment gives you access to the majority of the race options, that's slightly better. If it costs $5 or w/e to get access to a Space Marine can field most of the normal and heavy weapons and equipment, that's cool. If it's literally "Tactical Marine Bolter/Flamer/Plasma Gun $5" "Devastator Marine Heavy Bolter/Missile Launcher/Heavy Plasma Gun/Blah $10" "Assault Marine Chainsword/Chain Axe/Power Sword/Blah $15" "Librarian $20", that's where it crosses the pale for me.

It's a long wait and they have time to explain what they mean. But nickle and dime'ing the player in this seems highly likely.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I took it to mean that "Boyz" are a class with a few options, while Burnas/Lootas ect were their own class with their own options, skills, ect... and each costs their own. Link the /tg/ thread?
Orignal late-night thread has vanished to the ether. Here's the new one. Warning: I haven't read it yet and it's a 4chan link.

EDIT:
The game is free to play, but we have four races controlled by the player, while one is controlled by us. Only one of the playable races will be free to play, while the other three will be buy to play like Guild Wars 2.
Source
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 01:05:38 am by NobodyPro »

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile

I'd honestly much prefer it if every race had a free to play option. Maybe except the Spess Mehrenes, but every other could feasibly have a swarmy f2p thingie.

Of course I'd even more much prefer it if the entire game followed the Planetside model, but maybe we'll be able to beat some sense into the devs come beta.
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile

maybe we'll be able to beat some sense into the devs come beta.

The method would be simple: Everyone play a Boyz, nobody pays a dime, and we turn the life of those who do in some hellish cycle of death and rebirth and humiliation. Eventually they would quit and all that will be left would be infighting orks.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Full Sig

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

maybe we'll be able to beat some sense into the devs come beta.

The method would be simple: Everyone play a Boyz, nobody pays a dime, and we turn the life of those who do in some hellish cycle of death and rebirth and humiliation. Eventually they would quit and all that will be left would be infighting orks.

Sounds like every game I played when I first got my Tau. I could beat my friends with Chaos, IG, and Tyranid armies pretty handily, but by friend with the Ork army kept beating me. Over and over and over. He was excellent with Ork swarming strategy. This was back when the Tau first came out, just for a point of reference for the rules that were used.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile

Couldn't it end up with a lot of Ork gold farmers? (Or nearest equivalent in the 41st millennium.) ::) :P
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile

Couldn't it end up with a lot of Ork gold farmers? (Or nearest equivalent in the 41st millennium.) ::) :P
orks use their own teeth. "farming gold" would involve repeatedly punching other orks in the face. As all orkish activities do.
Full Sig

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile

orks use their own teeth. "farming gold" would involve repeatedly punching other orks in the face. As all orkish activities do.

Oh yeah. WHELP, that problem solved itself!

Ooh, that would be funny. A sea of gold farmer bots punching each other forever.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile

Yeah I am not setting my expectations high for this one.

Now something I would like to see explored in a pc game fashion of the wh40k universe is a pc version of Necromunda. It would work pretty much like blood bowl I guess, you create your team and play your games, level them up, they die etc. In fact I think this could become a real niche hit much like Cyanides bugbowl.

Another thing I am baffled noone has done is a good story heavy adventure rpg where you play as an inquisitor. I mean fuck the bioware formula they use for every game since KotOR would even work on something like that.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mass Effect's Paragon-Renegade axis would map pretty well to a puritan-radical axis, too. And I just have this vision of an Ork Freeboota as a radical companion. You could use the edges of Imperial space described in stuff like Rogue Trader as the setting. It's the perfect concept for an RPG adaptation.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7