Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: NEW Warhammer 40k MMO "Eternal Crusade"! "Like Planetside and EVE" -the devs  (Read 13828 times)

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile

Also confirmed in the above interview; Ork Boyz will indeed be the only free-to-play faction (that is, even bigger Orks like Nobs will cost something). Their reasoning for this is pretty hilarious.

All I know is I'll be on the front lines, screaming "CAM ERE AN GIT MEH SPOICE MEREN!" over the global chat.
I know that I will probably pay, if the game is worth it. I am a fan since... White dwarf 121 (french edition), and we're at... number 230 or something? Nearly ten years so.
Nor I would play SPEHSS MAREEN either. If a race become known for having the highest hardcore fan/casual kiddo ratio, I'll get it. :P
Although playing Nobz with a band of friends would be immensely fun...

Also "No balance"? WHAT? Balance with NPCs or something, but balance! War is not balanced, 40.000 IS.
Otherwise the tyranids would have won centuries ago.

On why they won't be having the Sisters of Battle : "They always end up being killed by their own team because their pure blood is useful to defeat demons.". Uuuuurghghghbluuuuuuuuuuuuugh. Yes they end up because Warhammer nerds are the worst nerds ever MATT FUCKING WARD  that doesn't mean that you have to be the same.
MATT FUCKING WARD, WHY U SPOIL OUR LORE?
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

MATT FUCKING WARD!

Damn it, SoB is one of the factions that would have been amazingly fun to play. Going to call it now, the most expensive premium stuff will be smurfs and Grey Knights.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've read that, due to mass appeal, they'll be bringing the Squats back with this MMO. [/lies]

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Ahem. MATT FUCKING WARD!

I'm a little disturbed by all but one race being paid for. Now, if it's $5 to unlock access to a whole race, I can live with that.

But if you literally have to pay $5 to be a grunt Space Marine, $7 to play a Devastator, $10 to play and Assault, $15 to play a Psyker, and $20 to play a Terminator, the game is already dead to me. That would be exactly the kind of money grubbing insanity that plagues the table top game, where GWS believes fans and hobbyists are a captive audience and will pay whatever redonkulous price GWS sets.

Plus, I don't really support systems that slice up the playerbase that way. It's exactly the kind of thing people have worried about with MMO 40k games in past, where playable balance is contingent on money.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 12:44:11 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, after reading the whole article, my BS alarms are screaming a Magenta-level alert. It's time for a double post.

It's not that I think it's a scam, it's that I think this guy is seriously over promising already for a game 1.5 years in the future and the F2P model sounds abusive from the outset.

I studied war strategy in university and worked for the Canadian army when I was younger, so we are really applying real military strategy to the game and to the Warhammer 40K lore.

I say up to three months, because if a bunch of Navy Seals decide to form a guild or a chapter and play our game, most likely they will defeat everyone else very fast because they know military strategy, and our game will be a realistic representation of military strategy.

Uh huh. Where have I heard that before....oh right, just about any military-based game claims to take a real military angle on game play.

we’re doing tests right now and while my team doesn’t want to tell numbers, we are able to have twice as many players on a single battlefield as the number one massive PvP game out there.

Well, either he's talking about LoL, in which case 20 players isn't that many. Or he's not got his numbers wrong and he's talking about Planetside 2, which makes his claim pretty goddamn hard to take at face value. Or he's talking about Call of Duty, in which case, 40 to 60 players isn't the "thousands" he's hyping.

[3rd Party Engine]We will be the first ones to maximize its features.

Again, this is a hard claim to substantiate....and it's also arrogant as hell to make a claim like that, for a developer who has made a lot of so-so 3rd person action games and a ton of shovelware. I've played Mercenaries 2: World In Flames. It was decent. They have the potential to pull it off, they a lot of experience in 3rd person action games and shooting games in general. But they have zero MMO experience, and a lot of their games like WET and Naughty Bear (both of which feature a shit ton of execution moves, guess that's why they think they're a big deal in this) were both panned by reviewers and gamers. Naughty Bear got voted Worst Game of the Year by some. If they license the CryEngine I'm going to laugh myself to death.

We will have the best combat ever.

*sigh*

Depending on which class you’ll choose in the game, it’s going to be exactly the same as the tabletop

Famous last words.

You can’t be an Ork Nob or above…Those are buy to play as well even if we’ll have very affordable pricing, definitely cheaper than Guild Wars 2.

I don't know what GW2's pricing model is, but that sounds exactly like the kind of monetization BS that I do not appreciate. They say they have horizontal growth within each class...but vertical growth is paid for. If it's ANYTHING like other F2P games, horizontal growth is usually not that engaging or deep. He's making it sound like it will be....which is another thing you can add to the pile of unrealistic expectations.

Otherwise, if you’re ok with being a grunt and experience everything, then you can be an Ork Boy, and the reason for that is that you need at least three to five Ork Boyz in the Warhammer 40k universe to kill a Space Marine. If we made Ork Boyz as powerful as Space Marines, everyone would hate us, because it would fly in the face of the lore.

The fanbois rejoice!....While every other F2P, non-40k wonk out there goes "What the fuck kind of shit is this! You want me to pay not to completely suck next to the Spesh Mahreen?! I can't even earn my way out of sucking?"

The other reason is because the difference in personality between committed players and free players is exactly the same difference between the culture of Space Marines and Orks.

Oh FFS. I know you're pleased with your lore-friendly microtransaction model, but now you're over doing it. The analogy and the whole next paragraph, while it has some merit to it, is already making qualitative judgments about their player base and, in truth, reads like a giant fucking justification for the fact ANYONE who wants to play the game is going to pay, where most other F2P games only say you "might" pay. Think about it. LoL's hero rotation gives you the chance to play all heroes without paying a dime, eventually. Mechwarrior Online lets you buy 80% of the mechs and variants with in-game credits, eventually. Planetside 2 lets you play all classes and you can unlock (slowly) the chance to play pretty much everything, eventually. Warframe lets you find pretty much all things in game, eventually, or buy your way to them as a shortcut. Path of Exile let's you play the whole freaking game for free. The Secret World, likewise, has no pay barriers to content or advancement.

I could go on but the point is: no F2P game restricts 95% of your play options 100% behind multiple microtransaction barriers. That's the definition of abusive pay2win. Unless their pricing model is incredibly low, like .99 cents cheap to start with, they're going to get a massive backlash for stretching the phrase "Free to play" to credulity. And considering he ballparks a fucking animation at $1, I shudder to think what they will want to charge for access to a class. Let me guess. I'll have to buy 80% of the paint colors, emblems, embellishments and war gear as well, if all other F2P games are anything to go by.

Just imagine: you spent two hundred dollars on the game.

LOL, listen to this fucking guy! You can almost hear him furiously masturbating at his desk thinking about the legions of players he's going to get roped in to spending that kind of money. He is literally like a GWS exec emerging from the shadows of their space fortress, saying "Yes, yes, they will pay, because they're ours! Muwhahahahaha."

Buddy: listen. I haven't spent $200 on a F2P game yet. I won't, not until I've played one for a solid couple years. The research shows that people who spend sick amounts of money are between 1% and 5% of most F2P games' populations. That's $50, paid subscription levels of investment you're banking on people paying because your game is "so damn good."

So all the free players that see that video will want to buy all kinds of humiliating executions to troll the space marines as much as they can. With this we’ll even be able to monetize trolling.

Sweet Emperor on High.

In response you’ll be so pissed, and I promise you, you’ll remember that Ork’s name and you’ll make it one of the next objectives of your chapter to obliterate that guy. He’s going to hide, because your whole squad is going to run all over the place to find him. Those free players that like to piss off other players and grief their gameplay will be trying to avoid contact and just wait for someone else to fall on the ground in order to run to them and execute them with another humiliating animation. And that’s what Orks would do in the Warhammer 40k universe. They would kill you while you’re defenseless, and then sit on your face and dance around you. This will be our approach to monetization.

#1- In massive battle spaces, the one thing that's hardest to do is track down one random griefer. In an entire army of griefers, it's even harder.

#2- So you're monetization scheme is essentially "Pay money not to be a scrub grief bot, who is basically a bullet sponge for paying customers, which is the only avenue available to you for free." That sounds fucking terrible.

We are keeping the equilibrium between different powers and races as close as possible to the real rules of Warhammer 40k. The only time we’ll tweak it is when it’ll risk to kill the gameplay.

Again, I'd point to the number of games that have said the same thing, none of which have lived up to it.

M: Unlimited.

G: Unlimited? That’s a tall promise…

M: We’re going to give you the tools to paint your armor the way you want it to be. Some parts of the armor are set in stone, as you’ll need to be recognizable, while others will be left to your creativity. With most of your looks you’ll be able to express yourself in the same way you can express yourself with miniatures.

Hey, Hypemaster McMoneybags, that's not unlimited.

Ok.....I DO like a lot of what is being said, it's hard not to, because he's promising the moon. Some of what they're talking about is, disturbingly, almost exactly what I've written about for a 40k MMO in the "Games I Wish Existed" Thread.

But it smells wrong on so many levels. Features galore: 3 month campaigns, elected war councils assigning objectives, cross-faction allegiances with its own mechanics, guild strike cruisers where you have your own quarters, "best" engine, "best" combat, "true" adherence to the table top, "No Balance", GM run weather and NPC races, thousands of players, destructible terrain, cover shooting, vehicles and artillery, 4 races with multiple classes having horizontal progression each using race-specific weaponry, procedurally generated side areas with dungeon-like content and AI foes....

I mean, let's take a look at what Planetside 2, probably one of the most massive and polished F2P games out there right now. It doesn't even come close to features like that, nor to the kind of meta-game these guys are envisioning.

If these guys delivered "the best F2P game ever made" that also happens to be 40k-themed, you know what? I might almost say "What the hell" to whatever insane pricing scheme they come up with. But this sounds like a pipe dream, it really does. The reality, probably 2 years from now when this might actually be playable, will be quite different. Or it will probably go into Payable Beta in 1.5 years with 20% of this content.

I'd really like to believe, but this guy is making it difficult because of his hype. And they seem to be treating customers paying as a given, as if the game is going to be so fucking awesome, people are going to be throwing money at them. The arrogance and hubris of it appalling. Every F2P game is like this, but they at least do us the courtesy of ACTING like actual Free To Play deserves consideration. It's a footnote to this guy.

I think it's safe to assume how GWS ever greenlighted something this insane and ambitious: they came to them with a Pay2Win model that is as close to the hobby miniature market as possible. GWS finally sees a place to do video gamers what they've done to table top players.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 04:24:53 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile

"It takes about 3 to 5 free players to defeat a paying player" sounds like the most amazingly stupid idea for a F2P game I have ever heard.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile

"It takes about 3 to 5 free players to defeat a paying player" sounds like the most amazingly stupid idea for a F2P game I have ever heard.
Word.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile

Yeah after reading those points I can't help but think that this is going to fail hard
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile

Well, yeah. Of course this is being hyped up to the eager WH40K fans, but all aboard the hype train! May as well have fun now, as opposed to when it's eventually canceled and we sit waiting for the next WH40K related announcement.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile

I have a feeling almost all of these ideas will be shed during any possible alpha/beta version.

Well, it's either them, or the playerbase.

Funny how all people who attempt a Warhammer MMO fail, everytime on new and unexpected levels. Well, to be fair, no AAA MMO dev has attempted a Warhammer MMO yet, but still.
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The more I read it, the more this sounds like someone reading from the "Pre-reality check" design documents.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile

I am waiting for their forums to open up, so that 4chan and legions of other fans descends and threatens/tears into them to the point of making a good game. I wont say much for 4chan, but they know their 40k. I love the idea of the Ork Boyz being the free to play faction, but if they only allow "horizontal" advancement (I'll give them the more specific advancements such as Mad Dok and Sguig Herder, but becoming a Nob, MegaNob or Warboss is in every Ork) for free to play they can shove that up their own ass. The whole point of Orkz is that the biggest, A'rdest. strongest, meanest, smartest, greenest and Orky rule and bet more so. If orkz aren't a infighting feudalistic hilarious mess of anarchy left to their own devices which anyone could climb up to the top of the heap of, they're doing their job wrong. Same goes for dramatically canon unfriendly numbers of chaos and space marines. It's something you should have to earn, and if not consign yourself to the teeming mass of the imperial guard and hope for the best. From the sound of the nickel and diming, I'd prefer a subscription option (outside the Orkz).

Permadeath, or at the very least strict penalties, sounds like a natural fit for this game, especially with the more unique units. Sure the Ork Boyz can keep their puny skills but Archon's should have a long fucking way to fall. It sounds like someone with their head screwed on has come up with a lot of these idea's but it will be crippled by their brand of Monetization.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Man In Zero G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok this:
The game is free to play, but we have four races controlled by the player, while one is controlled by us. Only one of the playable races will be free to play, while the other three will be buy to play like Guild Wars 2.

Actually, all four playable races are buy to play, but the Orks have an option  which is free to play: the Ork boyz. If you want to play our game and you don’t want to spend a single cent, you can still access the whole game and do whatever you want without restriction, but you can only be an Ork Boy. You can’t be an Ork Nob or above…Those are buy to play as well even if we’ll have very affordable pricing, definitely cheaper than Guild Wars 2.
What? WHAT? Seriously? I see what he's trying to do here - trying to imply "It's free to play - ok, it's not really free to play but it's going to be better than Guild Wars 2!!". Thing is: this guy is drawing comparisons to a game he clearly has never played. The races in GW2 are not buy-to-play. You buy the whole game, you get the whole game - all the races, all the classes, all the areas of the world. You know, like games used to be before all this micro-transaction crap started. The cash-shop stuff in GW2 is all no-impact stuff. Vanity skins, extra character slots and the like. If you never spend another dime after buying the game you're not at any disadvantage. So is he trying to say buying all the races will cost less than buying GW2? Is that what he means? Because from the way this guy is describing Eternal Crusade, that does not seem to be the case. I mean:
Just imagine: you spent two hundred dollars on the game. You won four campaigns, and you’re one of the top Space Marine players in your chapter in a huge battle, and suddenly you fail to pay attention and you end up wounded on the ground, and then you see a puny free to play Ork that just started playing the game running towards you and he executes you in a very humiliating way (because Orks are like that), for instance by choking you by sitting with his butt in your face with the teabagging execution he purchased for $1.
Excuse me? You're implying that I'm going to have to spend $200 to be a competitive Space Marine here. Are you kidding? And the entire section I pulled that from is about monetizing griefing - that turns my stomach. Griefing happens in every game, but holy mother - these guys are trying to profit off of it? Most companies actually try to discourage rampant griefing where possible, for crying out loud.

And for all his "It's the best thing ever" There sure were a lot of questions he "wasn't allowed to answer" ... But "We haven't worked that out yet" seems more likely.

I wanted this to be good, I really did. But it honestly looks to be catering to griefers, trying to drain my pockets as fast as the tabletop game did, and it's missing the factions I'd want to play most. It's too early to tell though, that was clearly an all hype-interview, and there's always the likelihood of everything changing closer to release.
I hope things change, I really do.
Quote from: Toady One
Their lack of eyes should stop them from crying.
Just watching dwarves make poor decisions repeatedly as I fix their little minds...
I haven't checked since I'm not doing bugs until after the release (well, I'm doing bugs, in the additive sense).

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

Okay, suddenly its not sounding so good anymore :/
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile

And one would assume all the ambient stupidity in the gaming world right now would be absorbed by Microsoft and their Xbox One, but... no.

Has the "only part of one faction is free" thing, or anything similar at all, ever been successful? I'm struggling to even think of something similar.
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7