Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: NEW Warhammer 40k MMO "Eternal Crusade"! "Like Planetside and EVE" -the devs  (Read 13805 times)

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile

Yep, after the downfall of Dark Millenium Online, we have a new MMO rising like a phoenix from the ashes!

Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade, developed by... Behaviour. For those not in the know, they made... "WET". Yes, that wet.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/981-Wet

Yes, I know. BUT they have apparently cobbled together a team of “all MMO development veterans”, including Creative Director, David Ghozland, is a 15-year veteran of the industry whose portfolio includes Far Cry, Rainbow Six Vegas and even stretches back to Saga of Ryzom. Most recently he headed up the very well-received dungeons of The Secret World!

What are they promising? Well, a 2015 release date, procedural content, not wow-like quest-oriented gameplay, or to let the devs themselves explain it :

"more a system-driven virtual world in the vein of Planetside 2 or EvE Online. “There Is Only War” is our mantra, so for the most part the players ARE the content, and what PvE gameplay we have is procedurally generated.We’re taking a lot of inspiration from what Diablo-style ARPGs and co-op games like Left 4 Dead do to create infinite fun. "

Check out these fancy links!
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/06/12/warhammer-40k-eternal-crusade/
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/06/13/interview-behaviour-on-warhammer-40k-eternal-crusade/

What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile

It SOUNDS fairly interesting... But... I don't know.  IF they deliver on their statements I'd probably be willing to get it.  If they deliver.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

A Planetside 2-esqe 40k game is something I've been dreaming of for a long time. It's way too early for me to get hyped about it though, and I don't "see" the game they're talking about based on their description.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I want to believe.

But man, I don't see how they're going to make it "like Planetside 2" when they're taking influence from Diablo and Left4Dead. I can't hate too hard because I'd absolutely love to see more PS2/WW2OL-style games, but I guess I'll believe it when I see it.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

I want to believe.

But man, I don't see how they're going to make it "like Planetside 2" when they're taking influence from Diablo and Left4Dead. I can't hate too hard because I'd absolutely love to see more PS2/WW2OL-style games, but I guess I'll believe it when I see it.

I guess I can kinda see some sort of open world, where AI is intermixed with players to keep the numbers up, and the whole thing runs from the kind of camera angle Dawn of War 2 uses.

Then again, that kind of sounds terrible to me too. If I'm playing 40k, I don't want to be limited to your bog-standard 4-man squad, and I've had quite enough of Dawn of War 2's blend of farming for Diablo-style loot and having an open military conflict. I don't think I'd want to do that in another MMO setting.

When they say "There's Only War", they should give me a war!. Give me 40v40, flinging artillery at each other, Ork Trukks bouncing along with all sorts of dakka, Space Marines jump packing in, and the like. What every 40k game I've played to date is unable to dial is the scope of the IP, and the scope of the conflicts. Dawn of War 1 came the closest. I still have a hard time with DoW 2 vs. DoW because I can't help noticing how dinky the masses of troops really are.

When they say something like Planetside 2, that makes me think they get it. When they mention Diablo, it makes me think they don't.

So yeah. Cautiously interested. But if it even makes it to beta, it'll be a Gift From The God Emperor. Large GWS projects seem to have a tendency to fold unless the developers are very solid. And there's a ? on these guys.

BTW, the last I knew, Dark Millennium is still going to release, just as a SP/CO-OP game instead.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 09:09:40 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Let's hope the Diablo thing is referring to skill trees and/or wargear.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile

Is Dark Millennium still being developed? From what I remember the company was still working on it after THQ closed and they'd changed it to a single player game.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's a subscription MMO where the Orks are the free to play faction.

This is genius, especially given that it takes 'Five orks for a single Space Marine.' according to their site.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 09:42:24 pm by Xotes »
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

Here's hoping this turns out well! I have high hopes for a Warhammer 40k MMO.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile

What every 40k game I've played to date is unable to dial is the scope of the IP, and the scope of the conflicts.
Which is why I didn't get into the 28mm stuff. Would have liked to try Epic, but it was dead before I had a chance.

Here's to hoping this is both finished and turns out good.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile

The current lack of an Imperial Guard faction is disheartening. Oh, and the fact that the studio working on it has made almost exclusively shovel-ware. But hell, anytime a new WH40K game is announced I'll get overly-hyped.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Without going too much in details, i hope they dont screw up, tired of studio claiming they nailed XYZ but in fact didnt go farther than ABC...
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Tyranids controlled by AI. There's your Left 4 Dead.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There are a trail of dead Warhammer 40K MMOs which have sworn they would be the first. I see no reason to trust this latest attempt.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

When they say something like Planetside 2, that makes me think they get it. When they mention Diablo, it makes me think they don't.
They're using buzzwords.  Planetside 2 and Diablo are high-value games.  They're tossing them in so that people will notice.  "Oh they compare themselves to something great, they must be doing something equally great!"

You saw a lot of "It's like Minecraft with X" a few years back, and even see a lot of "It's like Terraria" nowadays.  It doesn't speak well of a company when the best thing they can do to promote their product is to compare themselves to someone else...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7