Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 298 299 [300] 301 302 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 519108 times)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #4485 on: July 10, 2017, 01:37:58 am »

Not strictly Fallout 1, but obviously inspired by me playing it recently!

Constant quicksaving being expected and balanced around, to the point that it's far more convenient than most of the UI.  (Half Life 1 syndrome, though HL1's UI was fine).  Unlike HL this isn't Perfectitis, this is there being literally no defense against enemy criticals (except maybe kiting).

Even worse is when the game is balanced for constant quicksaving... and doesn't have quicksave. Case in point, Operation Flashpoint. Missions are insanely long and things can go pear-shaped at the drop of a hat. You get one save per mission, which was a set checkpoint IIRC.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4486 on: July 10, 2017, 02:32:41 am »

Reboot of Rise of the Triad was complete trash about saves.

It's brutally, infuriatingly hard, originally with autosave spots randomly placed around the level AND NOTHING ELSE. Sometimes the autosaves had 3 or 4 fights or platforming segments in them. Die? too bad, do it again.

They finally let you quicksave... but it's a hacky unstable implementation that doesn't always reset the level properly OH AND YOU ONLY GET ONE quicksave slot.

Buyer's remorse.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4487 on: July 10, 2017, 07:36:48 am »

Anti-completionist messages / mechanics in videogames

Honestly this didn't bug me because I often do not 100% games and the ones I have never done this.

Remember that Southpark skit where upon fully beating Guitar Hero it calls the audience a douche? Yeah... around those levels.

Honestly game creators if someone is playing a game over and over again or is trying to 100% it maybe don't antagonize them... Maybe a message about how obsessed people can be isn't pleasant.

---

Seriously this is equal to those stupid "You are a bad person for playing this game" twists they pull. "Ohh you are entertaining yourself on violence, you are no better than an actual murderer" says the videogame.

Instead it is "Wow, you are a loser for trying to actually wring out enjoyment" says the game or "Wow, you want 100% completion? Well you need to stand on this spot for 2 real life days"
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 07:38:26 am by Neonivek »

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4488 on: July 10, 2017, 10:02:14 am »

On the one hand, I definitely agree in serious works, for all that I care not at all for achievement-hunting.  On the other, I was rather amused by The Stanley Parable's achievements due to being unabashedly and shamelessly oriented along those lines.  There's "Play this game for all of a Tuesday - as in 24 hours, midnight-to-midnight, all Tuesday," "this achievement is impossible to get" (won by some 4% of people out there), and the best, "don't play this game for five years" (which some 6.9% of users have unlocked, in spite of the game being released just under four years ago in 2013).  Hate Plus gave us a "mail to the developer a picture of the cake you're eating with your waifu" one is almost certainly intended as such a thing, but it also has the only achievement that I've ever seen in a Steam game that was actually, literally, and flat-out impossible to obtain.  It's also hiding a huge spoiler, though, so I'm not sure if I should elaborate too much on that.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #4489 on: July 10, 2017, 11:46:29 am »

Anti-completionist messages / mechanics in videogames

Honestly this didn't bug me because I often do not 100% games and the ones I have never done this.

Remember that Southpark skit where upon fully beating Guitar Hero it calls the audience a douche? Yeah... around those levels.

Honestly game creators if someone is playing a game over and over again or is trying to 100% it maybe don't antagonize them... Maybe a message about how obsessed people can be isn't pleasant.

---

Seriously this is equal to those stupid "You are a bad person for playing this game" twists they pull. "Ohh you are entertaining yourself on violence, you are no better than an actual murderer" says the videogame.

Instead it is "Wow, you are a loser for trying to actually wring out enjoyment" says the game or "Wow, you want 100% completion? Well you need to stand on this spot for 2 real life days"
I guess I can see where you're coming from but is South Park really the best example? That whole freaking show hinges on violently insulting humor.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4490 on: July 10, 2017, 11:54:28 am »

South Park's version was meant to be completely ridiculous.

Yet actual videogames have done it before.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4491 on: July 10, 2017, 09:41:22 pm »

the best, "don't play this game for five years" (which some 6.9% of users have unlocked, in spite of the game being released just under four years ago in 2013).
They probably got it just by setting their system clock to five years later or something. I know that's how I got a date based achievement in Arkham City.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4492 on: August 08, 2017, 04:37:16 am »

I was playing with some friends and I noticed they didn't do something that REALLY annoys me. In fact when I described it the first word out of their mouth was "Wow, that sounds boring"

READ GUIDES READ GUIDES READ THIS GUIDE!!! LEARN TO PLAY OUR WAY!!!

Goodness NO! I don't want to read a guide on how to create the exact same character as you.

It is getting to the point where seriously competitive games probably shouldn't have player choice given what I keep being told.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #4493 on: August 08, 2017, 10:02:49 am »

Reading guides (or watching video versions) is just fine if you want someone's advice.

When people behave as though you absolutely have to listen to Mr(s) X, Y, or Z...

I can understand how that gets annoying...

I've actually kind of run into the opposite problem, to some degree where people can't do the most basic things that literally anyone else does.

Not the same genre as what you were upset about (probably), but in Payday 2 I keep running into people who don't know how to efficiently open safety deposit boxes with the saw (the trick is to tap the button rather than hold it)...

I'd make a full-fledged peeve on it, but I think I already did a while back when I made the one on bad tutorials or things that don't explain things properly.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4494 on: August 08, 2017, 12:27:03 pm »

I play heroes of the storm sometimes, almost always comp stomps just to kill time.

It's basically guaranteed every pub game I join will do something extremely stupid that makes the game take longer, yields less XP, gets themselves killed, or all of the above and then some. It's patently obvious most people have no clue how the basic game rules work, which only reinforces my decision not to play mobas in any real capacity, ever.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #4495 on: August 08, 2017, 01:08:37 pm »

I play heroes of the storm sometimes, almost always comp stomps just to kill time.

It's basically guaranteed every pub game I join will do something extremely stupid that makes the game take longer, yields less XP, gets themselves killed, or all of the above and then some. It's patently obvious most people have no clue how the basic game rules work, which only reinforces my decision not to play mobas in any real capacity, ever.

I used to have a similar reaction to Men of War.

MOW is probably the only gave I've played that I consider myself to be an expert at. I have somewhere between 1,000 and 2,000 hours across the different versions (all of which are basically the same game, just with reskins/mods), and I used to game with people who were very serious about the game itself. It was great fun discussing the most minute details about things that were probably more luck than maths with people who were as passionate about that stuff as me.

But then I'd be online one day, everyone else would already be in a game, and I'd say 'Oh, look, a pub game on my favorite map. What's the worst that could happen?'. Dear god. The rage I felt every time I pubbed was insane. It was like I went from university to primary school with one click.

I fully understand that it was my experience and sheer amount of time played that made me understand that stuff, and I completely understand how elitist it is, so I tried to give people the benefit of the doubt... but Jesus Christ, watching people buy a king tiger then losing it to a rifleman with a molotov was like watching an engineer fail to put two pieces of lego together. In the end, I flat-out refused to play unless it was with people I knew were good.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4496 on: August 08, 2017, 05:15:37 pm »

In their fairness... They should just change the saw so holding down the button is as effective as clicking it slightly.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4497 on: August 08, 2017, 05:24:40 pm »

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/6l2yi7/nintendo_not_aware_of_plans_to_make_the_go_plus/
I can't freakin even!

Basically:  Pokemon Go has "stops" which you spin for items, and also gyms which you spin for items (and also battle at).
There's a bluetooth accessory which grants you the (amazing, totally-not-artificial /s) ability to get walking credit with the screen off, and also spin pokestops with a buttonpress on this vibrating accessory.

It doesn't work on gyms.  It will likely NEVER work on gyms, for some reason!  When I buy $30 into a free to play game, I'm very leery of getting much straight advantage, but what I DO want is Quality of Life.  Convenience.  The entire selling point of this accessory - I wouldn't have to hold my phone out constantly.

Plus, they semi-recently changed many existing stops into gyms.  It's awful, and even at my most cynical I can't figure out any reason they wouldn't fix it.  It's absurdly simple, and it's been a problem for months, and they aren't even promising to do so.

My father says it's politics with Nintendo, but he can't explain how exactly, because even that makes no sense.  ARGH!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 05:26:59 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #4498 on: August 09, 2017, 10:22:35 am »

In their fairness... They should just change the saw so holding down the button is as effective as clicking it slightly.

I suppose, to some degree, that might be worthy of a peeve in and of itself...

Counterintuitive Actions:

Basically, whenever something doesn't make sense but is more effective than something that is for no really well-explained reason. Only becomes especially bad when it's not explained well or at all (Rocket jumping in TF2 is a well-known tactic that (I think) is explained in-game. Tapping with the saw is a somewhat well-known tactic  that is not explained in the game at all...)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4499 on: August 19, 2017, 10:27:48 am »

How there's literal radio silence over voice/text chat up until someone wants to complain about team.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again
Pages: 1 ... 298 299 [300] 301 302 ... 324