Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 519205 times)

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #4260 on: April 07, 2017, 02:57:59 pm »

Yeah, Oblivion remains the worst Elder Scrolls game. :P
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4261 on: April 07, 2017, 03:29:35 pm »

Yeah, Oblivion remains the worst Elder Scrolls game. :P

I dunno, I think Fallout 3 was a much worse Elder Scrolls game than Oblivion.  At least Oblivion the story made a sort of sense :P

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #4262 on: April 07, 2017, 03:30:06 pm »

I guess the name kind of gave it away to a degree.

Isn't Fallout 3 and NV guilty of this too?

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4263 on: April 07, 2017, 03:45:10 pm »

I guess the name kind of gave it away to a degree.

Isn't Fallout 3 and NV guilty of this too?

Sort of?

The problem there is that the spawns all get kicked up to 11 at high levels, so in F3, every fight against super mutants is a fight against overlords, ever radscorpion is an albino, every Enclave soldier is in tesla, etc.

It isn't as bad as Oblivion at giving people absolutely unreasonable gear (raiders still never(?) equip laser/plasma weapons), but literally every non-humanoid will eventually just spawn in its spongiest form. This gets really, really old, particularly in a stealth build.

NV is better about it, but it's still 'better' not 'great'.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4264 on: April 07, 2017, 04:28:23 pm »

I'm pretty far in NV and it's still rare that I'll outright stomp something. Usually it's critters like mole rats and stuff, almost all human enemies are levelled as far as I know. Legion soldiers take a ridiculous beating no matter what class they are or what level you encounter them.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4265 on: April 07, 2017, 04:37:13 pm »

That's my biggest peeve about the Legion.  I don't know how exactly, but I wish they'd have appeared more armored...  Or IDK, maybe been significantly different, by having considerably less DR but a lot of health due to all the organic drugs (healing powder) they take.

Maybe even have them be heavily stimmed-up, instead of taking a hardline stance against chems.  They could organically *manufacture* jet, it's made from brahmin dung...
I just hate how these jerks with exposed arms shrug off bullets - not even by tanking, but by *damage reduction*.  Maybe there's some chem in their rations.

Edit:  But NV is all about overcoming damage reduction with Big Iron :P
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4266 on: April 07, 2017, 04:56:40 pm »

That is what is particularly irritating about the Legion; drugs are entirely banned throughout it. I do wish there were more legionnaires, with less health. The game does rather good work to explain simply how tough and right 'ard every single warrior in the Legion has to be in order to survive, but goodness me.

As for Oblivion, I adore it. Simply adore it. But; the level scaling is a terrible, terrible idea. It has to be applied very carefully, otherwise you do end up with player characters so horribly gimped that they cannot defeat a single (overpowered) crab.
Of course, the monster spawning did not help. At higher levels, a quiet stroll on the country-side is every bit as dangerous to life and limb as the darkest depths of the dungeons.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4267 on: April 07, 2017, 05:11:16 pm »

I'm pretty far in NV and it's still rare that I'll outright stomp something. Usually it's critters like mole rats and stuff, almost all human enemies are levelled as far as I know. Legion soldiers take a ridiculous beating no matter what class they are or what level you encounter them.
Go back to some of the earlier locations, those are usually underleveled. (the "enemy faction has sent a squad to execute you!" encounters level up which kinda makes sense, but most of the leveling adjustment is per region of the gameworld and usually only goes to a certain level. The Powder Gangers for example never become much of a threat past early levels and neither do the ambushes you meet on your road to Novac.)

as for the legion, I hate that their armor looks goofy AF. It's just leather football gear and even the higher ranking officers don't really seem to beef up on it too much. At least NCR troops look like a proper army, with WW2-ish troops with the occassional reclaimed power armor and Ranger gear but the Legion just looks like a bunch of dumb idiots wearing sports gear or just a jumbled mess of whatever the hell this jumbled, kit-bashed-looking mess of a thing is supposed to be.

Legion needs some cool armor (like say a properer lorica segmentata) and no mod that I know of fixes it, they all just double down on the ridiculousness or just make the recruit legionaries look waaaay too powerful.

which is another pet peeve of mine, mooks that look too powerful

Don't put your most basic enemy into scary-looking armor and give them terrifying-looking weapons. It just serves to undermine the impact of encountering an actually scary-looking enemy with terrifying-looking weapons.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 05:18:08 pm by Krevsin »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4268 on: April 07, 2017, 05:29:08 pm »

I don't recall the legion being that OP, but I shoot them all in the face anyways, so...
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4269 on: April 07, 2017, 05:33:27 pm »

ON THE TOPIC OF SCALING ENEMIES

Ok excluding DLC Fallout 3... does it right.

Yeah enemies scale to your level but unlike Oblivion they don't scale as fast as you power up... Nor do they ever feel different.

So the game will either spawn higher quality enemies or huge groups of lesser enemies... you will take them both out in roughly the same amount of time

The DLC broke that and since most people, apparently, play with DLC most people remember it for having a REALLY bad system.

(New Vegas kind of broke its own system... but on the plus side you get to kill 100 varieties of deathclaws! isn't that fun?)

---

Tactics Ogre Let us Cling together

Also does this right... Even though enemies scale to your level... The quality of enemies do not increase while your do.

Mind you this is a turn based tactical strategy RPG... So scaling enemies was a necessity for it.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4270 on: April 07, 2017, 05:34:19 pm »

I don't recall the legion being that OP, but I shoot them all in the face anyways, so...

They aren't really all that OP, though it does look disproportionate with their gear. They can hit like a sledgehammer and take a couple slugs to the face and yet the only thing they're wearing is glorified leather football gear. At least the equivalent NCR troops are wearing combat armor.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4271 on: April 07, 2017, 06:09:53 pm »

Exactly!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that *didn't help* much.  They had these exposed faces, exposed arms, exposed shins...
Yeah headshots give a damage bonus in VATS, I guess.  But I'm pretty sure they got fuckin DR on that, despite it being an open face.
Harder to hit, sure!  Flat DR for a well-placed shot?
And what the hell is that armor made of, that it gives so much DR.  Deathclaw hide I hope!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4272 on: April 07, 2017, 06:12:24 pm »

Yeah the Legion feels like a Creator's Pet.

Not that they couldn't win victories against the NCR...

But the game goes the extra mile in making the Legion extra potent (Their Veteran group inspite lacking power armor... pretty much have power armor).

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4273 on: April 07, 2017, 07:30:33 pm »

I believe I have a mod installed which fixes that: Need a helmet for armor to apply to the head, or something. Idr.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4274 on: April 07, 2017, 10:44:53 pm »

That was the big fuckup in how NV handled their difficulty levels. I always played the vanilla game on the highest, and it felt mostly okay.

But the DLC's just ran with it, to the point where the honest hearts tribals were in loincloths and had power-armor level DR.

The roboscorpions in Big Mountain had high enough DR that the AP rounds for the .50 cal sniper rifle bounced off them.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.
Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 ... 324