Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 519340 times)

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #3990 on: March 20, 2017, 10:18:48 am »

It's true that on the one hand super rare shouldn't drop like candy, but on the other any drop rate below 2% is criminal - 1 in 50 is fair enough if you ask me.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3991 on: March 20, 2017, 01:56:39 pm »

Multiplayer in general

Ok I know this is odd to put down especially since for a lot of games the multiplayer is the ONLY thing making a game work.

Yet what I find is whenever I play a game in multiplayer I lose the ability to enjoy the game. I have to go in a multiplayer pace, I have to skip dialog, I have to load up on all the quests I find, I have to make sure I am brisk.

I've played Diablo 1 and knew the story intimately because for the most part I played single player (well I played multiplayer... but I did run through of it solo). I couldn't tell you much about the story of Diablo 2 outside the broad strokes and moronic plot twists.

This is INSPITE of the fact that my favorite activity in Diablo... was getting a mission and asking positively EVERYONE in town what they thought about it (IMO the greatest strength of the original diablo... and kind of a testament that bigger isn't always better because by going to new locations... you kind of lose that grounding... something Diablo 3 BOTCHES TO DEATH by killing off one of its greatest characters for nothing more then a cheap shock death by a joke villain).

---

And that is just games with a actual story.

The worst experience is just strategy games. I like to be rather plodding...

OHh and if someone is even slightly ahead of you... They will just snap the game's difficulty curve in half... and HEAVEN forbid you not be the greatest at the game... As suddenly you feel like the worst player ever while they constantly revive you...

Or you like to collect all the loot but they already know the loot is pointless or already have a grind method that renders it pointless.

Seriously I could go on. Every single aspect of Multiplayer is a problem. It is the most flawed gameplay experience you can have in spite being arguably the most fun.

---

I love multiplayer... But yeah it probably is my largest peeve at the same time.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 02:04:05 pm by Neonivek »

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3992 on: March 20, 2017, 02:49:39 pm »

I despise multiplayer outside games like SS13. I actively detest games that are multiplayer only, especially, and I cannot emphasize my pure, unadulterated fiery hatred of these, MMO games of all varieties. SS13 is the only multiplayer game I can stomach, everything else drives me into a frothing rage. Not sure why, just does.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3993 on: March 20, 2017, 02:52:07 pm »

Sorry, what kind of multiplayer games are you talking about Neo?
It sounds like your pet peeve here is with multiplayer RPGs and MMOs, not multiplayer in general.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3994 on: March 20, 2017, 04:43:17 pm »

I kind of have the opposite peeve here.  I've been playing multiplayer games since the early/mid 90's when I discovered MUDs, and MMO's used to be my favorite genre...until they started making everything soloable.  The selling point for these genres was that you needed to interact with others, the point was intended to be you living a character in these worlds, but now they're all just single-player games with subpar group content tacked on and chat features.

That said there are games I do agree with in not liking multiplayer, even if it's intended.  Strategy games I tend to stick to the single player campaigns, and even though Warframe is supposed to be multi-player I always do missions solo when I get the itch.  Won't even touch MOBAs and haven't played an arena shooter since Quake 3.  And finally survival multiplayer games like Rust I'll only play on unofficial servers with like-minded players.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #3995 on: March 20, 2017, 05:54:25 pm »

I despise multiplayer outside games like SS13. I actively detest games that are multiplayer only, especially, and I cannot emphasize my pure, unadulterated fiery hatred of these, MMO games of all varieties. SS13 is the only multiplayer game I can stomach, everything else drives me into a frothing rage. Not sure why, just does.

Any specific reasons why?

I, for one, don't especially love multiplayer because it involves multiple humans (usually). So what happens when you take, say, four times as many humans into a game (Left 4 Dead comes to mind)?

You get four times as many screwups.

Not that AI is much better, mind.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3996 on: March 20, 2017, 06:08:21 pm »

You probably know this already, but speedrunners often "race" each other (at the same time).  Here's one for Super Metroid, which I think I'm going to leave up in a corner because I love Super Metroid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhT36cyOhxU
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3997 on: March 20, 2017, 06:34:42 pm »

It sounds like your pet peeve here is with multiplayer RPGs and MMOs, not multiplayer in general.

Seriously pick your poison. I focused on story based games but I just as easily could have went into strategies, shooters, racing, MOBAs...

Multiplayer is simultaneously the best and worst part of gaming.

So seriously pick a genre and I'll talk about how I have issues with it and multiplayer (don't bother with racing... I've rarely played those)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 07:31:16 pm by Neonivek »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3998 on: March 21, 2017, 02:34:33 am »

Seriously pick your poison. I focused on story based games but I just as easily could have went into strategies, shooters, racing, MOBAs...

Multiplayer is simultaneously the best and worst part of gaming.

So seriously pick a genre and I'll talk about how I have issues with it and multiplayer (don't bother with racing... I've rarely played those)

Okay, let's make this a serious challenge. How about M.U.L.E.? It's There's nothing like it afaik, so it's its own genre.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3999 on: March 21, 2017, 04:06:34 pm »

I for one enjoy multiplayer, because I've found that even the worst player tends to be smarter than the "best" AI.

And that's discounting the fact that I usually do online multiplayer with friends. If you dislike randos and have enough friends, don't play with randos. :P
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4000 on: March 21, 2017, 04:32:40 pm »

I have two problems with multiplayer:

1 ) I HATE human beings.  I hate them.  They find any and every way to be a complete asshole just to get their rocks off.  They will lie, cheat, steal and otherwise do everything in their power to fuck each other over, and I hate them for it.

2 ) Multiplayer is very often used as an excuse by developers to not actually flesh out the single-player component of a game, because "Most players will be playing multiplayer.", which just means that they're being lazy assholes out to line their pockets while putting in less effort.

But those are my gripes about multiplayer, and I don't expect others to share them or approve of them.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4001 on: March 21, 2017, 04:38:02 pm »

#1 is most of the point, is it not? :P
To my mind, player activity that resembles Trusty Patches is a feature, not a bug.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4002 on: March 21, 2017, 04:40:00 pm »

Considering that my first and usually only reaction to people being dicks to each other actively is to hospitalize someone, that would be a pretty bad point for an activity to have for me.  People who get off on being shitty to others need a severe beating.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4003 on: March 21, 2017, 08:21:57 pm »

Any specific reasons why?

I, for one, don't especially love multiplayer because it involves multiple humans (usually). So what happens when you take, say, four times as many humans into a game (Left 4 Dead comes to mind)?

You get four times as many screwups.

Not that AI is much better, mind.

MMOs are merely psychological exploitation, especially when paired with microtransactions and seasonal DLC bullshit. Case in point: Destiny. It's a shit game that steals from you and then asks you to pay for the privilege of owning the stuff you bought once already. Otherwise, I just don't enjoy the human contact. I like playing games to escape.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #4004 on: March 21, 2017, 09:01:16 pm »

I like playing games to escape.

THAT I can understand.
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 324