Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 519344 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #3975 on: March 19, 2017, 12:22:02 pm »

If you take everything in all the codexes to be fact, and there's precedent for it all being Imperial propaganda. But yeah that's probably right because the red ones do go faster.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #3976 on: March 19, 2017, 06:55:39 pm »

Everyone carries two bullets

Yeah I hate this artificial scarcity ESPECIALLY in survival games... Even in Survival horror.

Who the heck even walks around with exactly one clip or ten bullets?

Oddly enough you would think Survival Horror games that don't do this are better... Nope they are far worse... because even though every enemy does carry a full clip, your character is ENTIRELY unwilling to carry multiple clips.

Unless the game is something like F.E.A.R. or Resident Evil or a game where your character is wearing something that allows the wearer to either carry lots of or quickly pull out ammo, I'm not sure it would make sense to pick up the ammo. I've never used a gun in my life, but I'm pretty sure it would be somewhat difficult to retrieve ammo from something like a backpack, and then load it into your weapon, all while under the stress of combat.

What game specifically forces you to carry one clip at a time, anyway?

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3977 on: March 19, 2017, 06:59:09 pm »

I'm pretty sure Neo means games where, say, you get the drop on a guy who's presumably carrying a machine gun with a full belt, but when you kill him (without him getting a shot off) and pick it up it only has like three bullets in it. Which is a little dumb and annoying.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #3978 on: March 19, 2017, 07:24:50 pm »

I'm pretty sure Neo means games where, say, you get the drop on a guy who's presumably carrying a machine gun with a full belt, but when you kill him (without him getting a shot off) and pick it up it only has like three bullets in it. Which is a little dumb and annoying.

I've never had the misfortune of not being able to avoid those games. Any specific titles or does the shittiness all blend together?

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3979 on: March 19, 2017, 07:40:27 pm »

I'm pretty sure it exists across all titles in which ammo is a thing for the player character. For example, Dragon Age Origins. If you successfully sneak up to and kill an enemy archer, it'll turn out they have three or four arrows on them. If you fight that archer, he'll be able to shoot at you without pause for seven or eight minutes straight (assuming you don't just run up and kill him in a round or two). In GTAV if you sneak up on a gang member and knife him in the back, he'll drop his fully loaded pistol that, while having infinite ammo in the AI's hands, has about eight bullets out of a maximum of fifteen (depending on the gun, but I'm pretty sure most gang members are carrying a basic pistol and not a fully upgraded Heavy Pistol) in it. That sort of thing.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #3980 on: March 19, 2017, 07:55:21 pm »

The alternative though is that if every enemy dropped about as much ammo as they should be carrying, then you'd likely be full up on ammo after killing 2-3 dudes. And players are way more accurate on average than the AI so that means effectively infinite ammo.

The only games I know really averted this are Bohemias milsims, since the ai carries realistic combat loads of ammo. Though it's usually not for the gun you're using.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3981 on: March 19, 2017, 07:59:32 pm »

I dunno, I think it would be more interesting if enemies only had a certain amount of ammo on them. Then you could either wait them out so they had to use melee and you could pick them off, or you would get lots of ammo as a reward for being able to kill them quickly. I think it would balance itself out.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3982 on: March 19, 2017, 08:09:23 pm »

That worked pretty well in Deus Ex, at least on normal soldiers.  They only carried a couple magazines IIRC, and were willing to open fire at long range.  Which would work fine against normal people, but Denton is augmented (if nothing else, he can slam a dozen colas or candy bars - though I don't think the game pauses for that).

Beware though, they still had knives: http://it-he.org/deus3/vcdead.jpg
Though fortunately they cannot reach their roombas: http://it-he.org/deus3/vcknives.jpg

I sure love how the it-he guy breaks games.  Probably why I keep spamming the link ever month or so.  http://it-he.org/deus3.php
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3983 on: March 19, 2017, 08:46:42 pm »

Too bad the Deus Ex assault rifle was useless. You just needed the pistol, and a few EMP grenades or rockets to deal with the occasional security bot. That's not even mentioning the weapon you get in China, which you can have two of for some reason. :P

Strife is an otherwise-great FPS with one fatal flaw: the most common enemy takes more rifle ammo to kill than it drops. Especially in the early game, you will always be out of ammo for your primary weapon. IIRC it takes ten shots to kill one common guard, and they drop seven. There aren't very many pickups lying out in the wild, either. You can visit the shop in town, but it can be hours in between trips to town, especially if you're playing blind and get lost.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3984 on: March 20, 2017, 01:50:35 am »

I've never had the misfortune of not being able to avoid those games. Any specific titles or does the shittiness all blend together?
STALKER on higher difficulties. There's mods that fix it but in vanilla, most enemies you face will just fire at you forever but when you kill them they just have the clip in their rifle and like 2-3 bullets to spare.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #3985 on: March 20, 2017, 09:08:31 am »

Too bad the Deus Ex assault rifle was useless.

I suppose it isn't entirely (or at all) needed, but if you boost your rifle and add a silencer, maybe fit a recoil mod or two (I was able to do this, so it shouldn't be too hard for a sufficiently determined player), the assault rifle isn't half bad.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3986 on: March 20, 2017, 09:35:14 am »

The entire fallout series, old and new, is terrible about this. Hell, most FPS games are guilty of this one- even good ones like the Bioshock series. Actually making an AI that can use ammo tactically is a lot harder (and typically a lot more fatal to the player) than making an AI that will spam bullets blindly for days.

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3987 on: March 20, 2017, 09:55:17 am »

If we wanted to trade examples we would derail as hard as the WH40k discussion tried to. :P

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3988 on: March 20, 2017, 10:05:24 am »

If we wanted to trade examples we would derail as hard as the WH40k discussion tried to. :P

Quite true, though it does lead to a related semi-peeve of mine.

Enemies that don't drop what they're clearly carrying. Often an offender for RPG games, enemies simply refuse to drop their weapons, clothes, or the health kits they clearly use if you actually let them survive long enough. Basically any game that involves a loot table does this, and while I understand the rationale, it still is cause for chagrin on occasion. I strongly dislike farming the same enemy twenty times to get the item I want.

As I said, this is a semi-peeve that mostly causes joy when it's not in evidence, rather than frustration when it is.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3989 on: March 20, 2017, 10:15:54 am »

I dislike games where specific enemies have super rare loot... that you have to grind for hours to get. It's one of the barriers to really enjoying Monster Hunter for me. Any Diablo clone as well. I just want to go to the next part of the game, not hang out in an area for two weeks to get the last crafting component that has a 0.001% drop rate and I'll be utterly crippled without.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 324