Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 519424 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #3840 on: February 20, 2017, 08:19:08 pm »

SC?
I get SE is Space Engineers, but SC probably isn't Star Control (I wish) or StarCraft.
The only Kickstarter-related SC I can think of is Star Citizen, but I wasn't aware it had progressed to the point where it could even be called a mess of bugs and glitches; I thought it was still at the stage where it was a collection of small modules that could charitably be called components of a game. 

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3841 on: February 20, 2017, 09:36:07 pm »

Horror is a narrative genre, not a game genre like real time strategy or first person shooter. The fact that you're supposed to be scared says nothing about what you're actually doing in the game. "Survival" is... almost a game genre. I'd label Resi as a survival action game with a horror story.
But then, almost every horror game seems to fall into that category. Where are all the horror-RTSes? Horror RPGs? Horror MOBAs? :P
I don't know about the other two, but Duskers is what I'd call a horror-RTS.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3842 on: February 20, 2017, 09:55:27 pm »

Isn't it a Roguelike though?????
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3843 on: February 21, 2017, 12:06:34 am »

Horror is a narrative genre, not a game genre like real time strategy or first person shooter. The fact that you're supposed to be scared says nothing about what you're actually doing in the game. "Survival" is... almost a game genre. I'd label Resi as a survival action game with a horror story.
But then, almost every horror game seems to fall into that category. Where are all the horror-RTSes? Horror RPGs? Horror MOBAs? :P
Ah, that's a good catch. There is some wiggle-room, but things still seem pretty restricted, in terms of what kind of game a horror game actually is.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3844 on: February 21, 2017, 01:38:28 am »

Isn't it a Roguelike though?????

And this is why we allow a game to be in multiple genres.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3845 on: February 21, 2017, 04:35:00 am »

Also don't forget Homeworld Cataclysm. It's a good'un.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3846 on: February 21, 2017, 04:48:40 am »

That's mostly because gameplay mechanics themselves are capable of conveying as well as causing emotional reactions as well as telling stories themselves (see From Soft.) and as such can mesh better or worse with thematic genres.

Something like an RTS is inherently detached becaouse you're safe up in the air, overseeing your minions with zero threat to yourself. It's kinda hard to make a player afraid in that kind of situation, it's possible but you gotta make them involved with something within the game itself and then threaten it to invoke that kind of reaction.

Xcom is a neat example once you get attached to your troops because getting into tight spots presents the scary possibility of losing them, so even if you do win it won't be a clean operation.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3847 on: February 21, 2017, 04:58:56 am »

It is the focus on individual soldiers, yeah. Xcom (both old and new) didn't go far enough to be a horror game but it seriously could be one. A bit more blood and guts, a bit less camp. Your soldiers already bleed out and can suffer permanent injuries, that could be loads more horrific than it is in the base game.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3848 on: February 21, 2017, 09:47:35 am »

Xcom, but you are not a great company, you don't have trained people, you are just 5 humans in a basement and none of them can even fight and you got a fire extingisher and a crowbar and nothing else. You'll lose most missions, but thats ok. You just get a new basement-crew in the same city, with any damage you've done being permanent.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3849 on: February 21, 2017, 11:23:24 am »

Xcom, but you are not a great company, you don't have trained people, you are just 5 humans in a basement and none of them can even fight and you got a fire extingisher and a crowbar and nothing else. You'll lose most missions, but thats ok. You just get a new basement-crew in the same city, with any damage you've done being permanent.

Why am I imagining a Fight Club version of XCom?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3850 on: February 21, 2017, 11:39:35 am »

Why am I imagining a Fight Club version of XCom?

A Lovecraftian version of XCom. How lit would that be? Where you are literally five talentless hacks in a basement scraping by.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3851 on: February 21, 2017, 11:42:13 am »

A Lovecraftian version of XCom. How lit would that be? Where you are literally five talentless hacks in a basement scraping by.

Where do people get this idea of Lovecraftian? :P

Joe Diamond would smack those hacks.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3852 on: February 21, 2017, 11:57:13 am »

There is that one game that's being developed that's basically Xcom but scarier, with some sort of freaky mist engulfing the globe and bringing all kinds of nasties with it. I can't remember the name atm but IIRC some big shot that was behind the original or something is working on it big time, think it had a pretty nice KS turnout too.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3853 on: February 21, 2017, 12:32:32 pm »

There is that one game that's being developed that's basically Xcom but scarier, with some sort of freaky mist engulfing the globe and bringing all kinds of nasties with it. I can't remember the name atm but IIRC some big shot that was behind the original or something is working on it big time, think it had a pretty nice KS turnout too.

Ohh awesome! it is like that movie the Mist (or whatever it was called... The fog? The viel? )

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3854 on: February 21, 2017, 12:42:08 pm »

It is the focus on individual soldiers, yeah. Xcom (both old and new) didn't go far enough to be a horror game but it seriously could be one. A bit more blood and guts, a bit less camp. Your soldiers already bleed out and can suffer permanent injuries, that could be loads more horrific than it is in the base game.
So XCOM crossed with Darkest Dungeon?
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 324