Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 254 255 [256] 257 258 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 519430 times)

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #3825 on: February 20, 2017, 10:09:12 am »

... RE4 is a terrible example of survival-horror, because it isn't survival horror. Even the early game covers (and Capcom, IIRC) said that it "moved away from survival horror to the fresher action genre", or something along those lines. Game reviewers of the time praised the change, or said that RE4 wasn't a Resident Evil game because it wasn't survival horror.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3826 on: February 20, 2017, 10:10:22 am »

Huh that's weird, I thought it was pretty creepy and mysterious.  Idunno what makes a game horror exactly (and I'm okay with that).
So a strategy game must be any game that makes you use a strategy. :P
Nah see, in CS you use pro MLG *strats*.  Totally different :P
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3827 on: February 20, 2017, 10:12:07 am »

Oh, nah, it definitely had horror elements. But the move away from survival horror was a controversial point, and even a part of its marketing, if I recall correctly.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3828 on: February 20, 2017, 10:33:16 am »

Oh I see now.  I guess they did downplay scarcity a bit with all the shops and drops.  IDK if that changes the genre or just makes it EZ-mode, but meh.  It was definitely more action-y yeah.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3829 on: February 20, 2017, 10:57:45 am »

New peeve.  People who call everything they don't like an exploit, despite every evidence that it isn't an exploit, up to and including the developers themselves saying that a feature was absolutely intended and a known use of game mechanics.  Especially when they use it as a justification to use actual exploits.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3830 on: February 20, 2017, 11:10:07 am »

In my opinion, "game genre" is a thing that's done entirely for filing purposes based on things how a player's expected to interact with the game's mechanics, objects, story et cetera.

It's not a codified set of rules that a game must follow in order to be considered a part of that genre but rather a descriptor that gets applied to the game for purposes of book-keeping and managing player expectation.

If a game fits the criteria of a given genre poorly, it's not suddenly not a part of that genre, just a bad representative of the things that are associated with that genre. A bad RTS game is still an RTS game, despite being bad at providing the type of engagement usually expected of an RTS game. Likewise in films, a bad action film isn't just suddenly reclassified as a comedy and stripped of its action film status because it has terrible fight scenes and awful dialogue. It's merely a bad film.

Not to mention the fact that game genres often get merged and you just don't get clear-cut examples of a given genre anymore, with elements traditionally associated with say RPGs make their way into FPS games or RTSes or racing games or whatever and pinning down what genre a given game is is becoming really hard with a lot of them just going the tried and tested "Action-Adventure" route (i.e. one genre with definitions so wide and loose it doesn't really tell you how specifically you're expected to interact with a game from just reading "an exciting action-adventure game" in the blurb).

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3831 on: February 20, 2017, 11:38:21 am »

Console ports that do not change the button prompts to the appropriate symbols.

Look, I have a board in front of me with more than 120 buttons on it, I don't want to have to press all of them to figure out which one you arbitrarily mapped the select button to.

Turns out it was g. Why? Fuck you, that's why.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3832 on: February 20, 2017, 04:50:29 pm »

Resident Evil was survival horror? This is news to me. I tried RE4 and I thought the genre was "annoying zombie game."
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3833 on: February 20, 2017, 04:51:50 pm »

Resident Evil was survival horror? This is news to me. I tried RE4 and I thought the genre was "annoying zombie game."

Well the very first survival horror game was Alone in the Dark. It is the genre definer.

Play that game... then play Resident Evil (a game directly inspired from it) and you will sort of get the idea.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3834 on: February 20, 2017, 04:58:24 pm »

My (very humble) understanding of survival horror is that it involves scarce resources, and creepy threats that you're tempted to over-expend resources on.
I didn't play much of RE3 but I'm pretty sure it counts...  Besides which, as far as I've heard, Resident Evil and Silent Hill kinda invented the genre.

Even 4 still has resource conservation as a mechanic... at least initially.  My impression is that you get a glut after the first couple hours.

Well the very first survival horror game was Alone in the Dark. It is the genre definer.

Play that game... then play Resident Evil (a game directly inspired from it) and you will sort of get the idea.
Ah, excellent point.  Alone in the Dark is absolutely survival horror in the RE style, predating RE.
I like how Slowbeef and Diabetus kept joking that RE ripped it off...  Yet it's kinda true, even if RE did it better.

RE still brought the genre to prominence, I think.  Also it had less "walking dead" moments - as in, oh, your sword broke in this duel.  You can run, and save, but you cannot ever complete the game.
She/they

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3835 on: February 20, 2017, 05:17:48 pm »

Horror is a narrative genre, not a game genre like real time strategy or first person shooter. The fact that you're supposed to be scared says nothing about what you're actually doing in the game. "Survival" is... almost a game genre. I'd label Resi as a survival action game with a horror story.
But then, almost every horror game seems to fall into that category. Where are all the horror-RTSes? Horror RPGs? Horror MOBAs? :P

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3836 on: February 20, 2017, 05:18:39 pm »

Isnt The Secret World supposed to be a Horror RPG?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3837 on: February 20, 2017, 06:44:55 pm »

Kickstarter has given me all kinds of new Pet Peeves, like a game still crashing on lauch like 5 years after development started (SE) or being a silly mess of bugs and glitches (SC Star Citzen). Especially when there are people that do it so very well (from the depths)...
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 03:19:02 am by ThtblovesDF »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3838 on: February 20, 2017, 06:49:10 pm »

SC?
I get SE is Space Engineers, but SC probably isn't Star Control (I wish) or StarCraft.
She/they

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3839 on: February 20, 2017, 06:58:47 pm »

I'd heard that the first survival horror game was Sweet Home, for the NES.

I cannot remember the term... But sometimes people create something before the genre is a thing... but aren't themselves what eventually caused it to be defined. (I used to remember the term... For example there is a post-modern book that existed over a hundred years before post-modernism was even a thing)

Or rather... Yeah Sweet Home (oddly enough an adaptation) is a survival horror RPG. It came out earlier... and definitely deserves credit as the first survival horror game.

But it isn't the defining game that set the standards and ideas of the genre. That goes to Alone in the Dark.

Though the game that popularized the survival horror genre would also likely not be Alone in the Dark... but Resident Evil!

----

Another example I guess if I had to come up with is the "Psychological horror" game.

The first is 7th Guest (well that I can find... and it could be mislabeled)

Yet if I had to chose the creator of that genre within videogames... it would likely be based off of what Clocktower set up.

Clocktower is also a game that performed a miracle... because it is one of the few videogames that has EVER managed to make a gun scary... and in fact more scary than the monsters.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 07:10:38 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 254 255 [256] 257 258 ... 324