Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 230 231 [232] 233 234 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 519625 times)

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #3465 on: October 11, 2016, 04:25:36 am »

I actually mean that. Sure, the grind to get something is real, but it never actually forces you to pay 2 win. The only (possible) exceptions may be the incubator stuff (unless someone posts otherwise, working on the quest to get the kubrows glitched out and never gave me a power core, and they cost something horrid to build).
I include the modification system for frames/weapons in that assessment, too. It makes any build equally as viable as any other (with exception of cheesing promo missions)
In warframe, a great many of the great weapons are low cost (then again, I run with grakata + dual viper on rhino. On my way to THREE GRAKATA!).
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3466 on: October 11, 2016, 05:28:51 am »

You know what... It has been a while but I think now is the time this has occurred

Crafting

No I am not saying, when it is misused, or anything like that. I am listing anytime a game has a crafting system now as my pet peeve.

If only because I cannot think of a single game that has ever had a good worthwhile crafting system (Maybe Magic Pengel)... It is always a level of tedium made to give you an IDEA of ownership over what you make but because it deals with presets it just doesn't work that way.

Even Minecraft the crafting is often the worst part of the game at the best of time. Minecraft really might as well be a Resident Evil game with its "get a material, to make a pick, to get a material, to get a pick, to get a material, to get a gate, to get another material, to get a pick, to get the ultimate material, to get a pick" (key to get a key to get a key).

Which you know what would be fine on its own.

Except now crafting systems are starting to become a somewhat standard feature in games... but unlike "RPG-elements" which was a welcome chance of pace... Crafting elements are just as terrible as they ever were. A lot of games are coming out with crafting as a feature.
I was going this direction but Cataclysm brought me back, the crafting system is very satisfying.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3467 on: October 11, 2016, 05:56:58 am »

I agree with Neo that the exploration model of crafting can be extremely tedious. There's nothing worse than the beginning of the game taking minutes to mine through things so you can get better tools to reduce the time... by which point you've probably already got everything you need. Just gimme the fast digging stuff immediately and let ME worry about how long I want to grind for other things, thanks.

On the other hand, weapon and armor crafting can (depending on the game) be extremely satisfying. I remember that in Kingdoms of Amalur in particular you could make some really, really strong weapons (stronger than pretty much anything you could find) and blacksmithing was half the fun to me. But then, to borrow a term from Jesse Cox, I'm pretty much a loot whore and finding materials and implementing them is something I enjoy a lot.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #3468 on: October 11, 2016, 05:59:49 am »

I was irritated by the crafting in Kingdoms of Amalur because the level-appropriate stuff you could craft totally outclassed the majority of cool-looking uniques you could find.

Oh, and KoA was decently fun, but one thing that always bugged me SO much about that game were all the combat animations. EVERY TIME you started an attack chain it would start from when the weapon was holstered. So if you've just finished attacking and still have your weapon drawn, the game would snap the model back to the weapon being sheathed.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3469 on: October 11, 2016, 06:03:45 am »

I don't remember that about the weapon animations, but I can see how you would be annoyed about function overcoming form a lot. I just liked stacking a weapon with the effects I wanted on it (be damned how it looked) and laying waste to the opposition.

Plus the chakram weapons were SUPER fun.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #3470 on: October 11, 2016, 09:03:55 am »

What are good ways to make crafting enjoyable and not feel like a rip-off of every other game with a crafting element?

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #3471 on: October 11, 2016, 10:24:13 am »

Center the entire game around crafting. Something like Factorio is a good example. Otherwise it tends to just be "collect these random bits of crap then click the button to make stuff.")
The circle is complete.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3472 on: October 11, 2016, 02:02:01 pm »

the problem is that "crafting" doesnt actually mean anything

youre turning resources into a usually more useful resource, which occurs in basically most games at some level.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3473 on: October 11, 2016, 03:19:27 pm »

the problem is that "crafting" doesnt actually mean anything

youre turning resources into a usually more useful resource, which occurs in basically most games at some level.
Yeah, good crafting exists in pretty much every game and it's called "combat". You convert your time, skills, ammo, healing potions and equipment's durability into new stuff in a highly interesting manner, even though you can usually predict what you'll be getting (barring randomness on loot) - because combat is an interesting process.

Clicking on a menu, or playing a primitive minigame, or tetris-ing the required components into position - those are not interesting. Thus, crafting is usually seen as a not interesting thing - because it is not interesting!
._.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #3474 on: October 11, 2016, 03:31:24 pm »

I liked the crafting in underrail actually, if anything because if you just dabble in it then it just helps you get weapons and armor you actually might want at a particular moment. Though if you specialize because you want to actually do it more then it makes actually more powerful stuff. Plus you really don't actually need to do it at all if you don't want to.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3475 on: October 11, 2016, 03:41:13 pm »

Thus, crafting is usually seen as a not interesting thing - because it is not interesting!

Tell that to the Dead Rising series.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3476 on: October 11, 2016, 03:44:29 pm »

Thus, crafting is usually seen as a not interesting thing - because it is not interesting!

Tell that to the Dead Rising series.

Not... the best... example... Given how its latest outing went.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3477 on: October 11, 2016, 03:47:19 pm »

Crafting and fetch quests are basically the same thing, at least as implemented in most games.  Collect X of Y material, turn it in/craft it into item Z.

Sometimes there's a skill tied to crafting.  Everyone knows you need that skill, because the crafted stuff is going to be the best.  Alternatively, the crafted stuff isn't the best and the crafting skill is a waste.

I guess the crafting in path of exile is OK.  The crafting items are the currency, and each item does a different thing. So you are creating your own unique item out of a base item you already have and want.  Of course the PoE crafting system is RNG more than anything...

In minecraft, early on the crafting was billed as "You build the thing you want in the little grid, then you get it!".  Of course it doesn't really work that way, it's a bunch of recipes.  So I guess the twist there was the combinations weren't all disclosed, the players had to figure them out.  Or, as almost everyone did, you look up the crafting guide and alt-tab to it every 10 seconds while you're learning the game.

In fact, there's my peeve.  Games that make you play a pointless and un-loseable minigame to perform an action in game.  For example, minecraft crafting, fallout 3 hacking and lockpicking, elder scrolls lockpicking...

If you can reasonably fail the minigame and it makes a difference to the game, it doesn't count.  Fallout and Elder Scrolls lockpicking in theory should be in this catagory, but the sheer numbers of lockpicks they throw at you, combined with the ease of the minigame, puts it into the pointless and un-loseable catagory for me.

Deus-ex hacking is close, but you can get detected by guards during the hack attempt, as well as get bonus XP, so it's not entirely pointless.  Being able to savescum at the terminals does make the whole thing a little pointless, but savescumming is a whole other thing...

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3478 on: October 11, 2016, 04:01:14 pm »

I'd say Oblivion lockpicking passes, because that minigame never stopped being difficult at high levels (bypassing with the skeleton key doesn't count, daedra artifacts should be powerful).  But Skyrim and Fallout lockpicking is really easy yeah.

Ooh one thing that made the very similar minigame in Thief good:  Lockpicking didn't pause time.  So sometimes there was a lot of time pressure, if you hadn't taken out the local patrols.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #3479 on: October 11, 2016, 04:02:26 pm »

It was just a time sink, though. Even without the skeleton key you basically had infinite lockpicks after early-game.
The circle is complete.
Pages: 1 ... 230 231 [232] 233 234 ... 324