Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 519735 times)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #3300 on: July 08, 2016, 03:27:34 am »

HIGH SPEED ENEMIES GET TWO TURNS IN A ROW AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I CANNOT DESCRIBE HOW MANY JRPG BATTLES I HAVE LOST BECAUSE AN ENEMY IS SCRIPTED TO ALWAYS HAVE THE FIRST TURN

OR GETS TWO TURNS IN A ROW BECAUSE OF THEIR SPEED/INITIATIVE/AGILITY/ETC

IT'S SUCH BULLSHIT I HATE IT
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #3301 on: July 08, 2016, 04:26:00 am »

I CANNOT DESCRIBE HOW MANY JRPG BATTLES I HAVE LOST BECAUSE AN ENEMY IS SCRIPTED TO ALWAYS HAVE THE FIRST TURN

this is basically what turned me away form xcom and why I didn't buy xcom2

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3302 on: July 08, 2016, 04:45:43 am »

The enemy doesn't get two turns in a row though, from what I've seen. All units get one move and one action, barring special abilities like Run N Gun for your own guys. It is kinda stupid that enemies are given a free turn to run into cover, though.

In Oldcom it's different because Time Units but it's still good since it works the same way for both sides.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3303 on: July 08, 2016, 06:31:56 am »

The enemy doesn't get two turns in a row though, from what I've seen. All units get one move and one action, barring special abilities like Run N Gun for your own guys. It is kinda stupid that enemies are given a free turn to run into cover, though.
It's not so much a free turn as it is just a free move. And without that free move you would immediately flank the enemies and cut them down.

It's why in XCOM 2 the opening salvo when exiting concealment is so devastating  :P

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3304 on: July 08, 2016, 09:21:41 am »

That's funny, because I have basically the opposite peeve.
When a turn based game has a speed stat, and all it does is determine who goes first, or worse yet, determines which of your team members goes first!  At that point, that stat is worthless, because it's worth less than 1 extra attack over the course of the entire battle.
So I could invest in my strength stat to do increased damage on every single turn, or I could invest in my speed stat to get the first attack, and no other benefit.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3305 on: July 29, 2016, 09:33:18 am »

Lets just add this

Multiplayer content/interference in a Single Player Game
---

Look... if I want to play a multiplayer game, I'll play a multiplayer game. If I want to play a single player game, I'll play a single player game.

I do not want to have to deal with multiplayer during my single player game. In fact I don't even want references to multiplayer at all but that is another story... I better not see a "Owned by multiplayer person" in a single player game.

Steal all you like mister!

Nothing and I mean nothing kills immersion for me than a game that lets you steal everything that isn't nailed down right infront of the people who own it. It only has a place in games that have no immersion to give.

Witcher 3 for example was supposed to be a grand ole time! But I can't even take the game seriously less than an hour in because I can rob the country side completely bare.

What is the point of even playing Witcher 3 if the story is ENTIRELY 100% moot now that the narrative has completely collapsed?

At least with the old RPGs you could hypothesize that the chests were in fact there for you to take... or that you were a stinky thief.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3306 on: July 29, 2016, 01:06:28 pm »

Steal all you like mister!

Nothing and I mean nothing kills immersion for me than a game that lets you steal everything that isn't nailed down right infront of the people who own it. It only has a place in games that have no immersion to give.

Witcher 3 for example was supposed to be a grand ole time! But I can't even take the game seriously less than an hour in because I can rob the country side completely bare.

What is the point of even playing Witcher 3 if the story is ENTIRELY 100% moot now that the narrative has completely collapsed?

At least with the old RPGs you could hypothesize that the chests were in fact there for you to take... or that you were a stinky thief.
You do get your arse handed to you if you do it in front of guards, soldiers and the like. They beat you up, take some of your money and then you wake up a bit away. No problem if you do it in front of ordinary people (though they sometimes call the guards), but then again they're probably terrified of you as you are a rather towering individual with two rather nasty-looking swords and quite clearly a witcher, a figure that evokes much fear and terror in the eyes of the common folk in the Witcherverse.

So don't worry about your percieved narrative collapse in Witcher 3, turns out that it's on perfectly solid foundations thank you very much. Besides which why would you even want to steal from the common people they have garbage for useful stuff that sells for jack-all. Plus they might sic the guards on you and those guys are nasty.

Reading up on this a bit, some people say it affects quests you might get from those villages, though I've never had that happen to me (though I tended not to steal because people have jack-all in terms of valuable stuff).

Witcher 2 on the other hand had this in droves, where you could take basically whatever you found anywhere.

On a similar note:

Games in which stealing is a capital offense with the immediate consequence of being immediately mobbed to death
Specifically looking at Bethesda Fallout games here. Chrissake guys, can't you just have a guard come up to me and arrest and fine me? Y'know, just like you did in bloody Skyrim.

Games with disproportionate distribution of wealth
Y'know, games in which you find hundreds of golden coins in the shacks of poor peasants and the like.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3307 on: July 29, 2016, 01:37:38 pm »

---

Look... if I want to play a multiplayer game, I'll play a multiplayer game. If I want to play a single player game, I'll play a single player game.

I do not want to have to deal with multiplayer during my single player game. In fact I don't even want references to multiplayer at all but that is another story... I better not see a "Owned by multiplayer person" in a single player game.
*You have been invaded by dork spirit Egan_BW*

My argument is... nah. Multi in single is freakin awesome.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3308 on: July 29, 2016, 01:41:34 pm »

That said, at least darksouls has an option to play in offline mode for pansies casuals ummm.... the non-socially inclined?
Nom nom nom

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3309 on: July 29, 2016, 01:50:07 pm »

What annoys me more is when knowledge of the multiplayer metagame becomes necessary to complete the singleplayer game. In Diablo 2, I only ever got past act 3 while following a build guide, otherwise my character becomes totally unviable after Duriel.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3310 on: July 29, 2016, 02:50:18 pm »

What annoys me more is when knowledge of the multiplayer metagame becomes necessary to complete the singleplayer game. In Diablo 2, I only ever got past act 3 while following a build guide, otherwise my character becomes totally unviable after Duriel.
I wouldn't call that multiplayer metagame but rather poor design. Games that make you require a guide to complete generally fall under that purview.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3311 on: July 29, 2016, 04:24:32 pm »

---

*You have been invaded by dork spirit Egan_BW*

My argument is... nah. Multi in single is freakin awesome.

That is multiplayer that is mostly single. You don't go to shop keepers in game and they go "Sorry, Mike bought out the store" and you go "Whose mike?" and the storekeeper goes "Some guy on the internet"

It wasn't what I was referring to and as Kilakan said, you can just turn it off if you'd like.

I wouldn't call that multiplayer metagame but rather poor design. Games that make you require a guide to complete generally fall under that purview.

And sadly they are becoming more common during the internet age.

I just want to punch reviewers who do point and clicks and give them high reviews when it is clear they were using a guide through it. At least to me a proper point and click experience is to never EVER use a guide.

Point and clicks were on their way to finally being great games, without exceptions, in the 90s until both the internet made good design pointless... and Telltale made thinking pointless...
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 04:26:46 pm by Neonivek »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3312 on: July 29, 2016, 04:31:54 pm »

Point and clicks were on their way to finally being great games, without exceptions, in the 90s until both the internet made good design pointless... and Telltale made thinking pointless...

Personally I always found 90s point-and-click games utterly unplayable, but w/e.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3313 on: July 29, 2016, 04:33:43 pm »

Personally I always found 90s point-and-click games utterly unplayable, but w/e.

It was a process and yes... there are a lot of bad ones.

But there is... Day of the Tentacle and Kings Quest 6.

But what I meant was that the evolution of the series was on its way so that you would no longer get these incredibly unfun, unfair, and grueling point and click experiences. Yet with the advent of the internet there just isn't a need to make puzzles logical.

This affects other genres too (far too many games basically go "Yeah, we are just going to put a proper way to play the game... we aren't going to tell you what it is... just go on the internet and read a guide" a few... literally telling you to just read a internet guide) but right now I am talking about point and clicks.

Though there have been a few that were way too tough... but fair... (Gabriel Knight 1... YEESH! though that Mime section is the worst!)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 04:37:05 pm by Neonivek »

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3314 on: July 29, 2016, 11:07:10 pm »

I can count all the modern point and clicks that made me use a guide on the fingers of my right hand, while the ones from the 90s are legion.

However that only tells you how unpopular the genre has gotten in the last 16 years  :P
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 324