Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 519850 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #3135 on: February 26, 2016, 05:56:55 pm »

Gun, yeah I play a lot of great indie titles on linux, it's not a major complaint (this is merely a peeve thread). But the majority of PC games are made for Windows exclusively.

Neo, you actually make a lot of sense with your last post.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3136 on: February 26, 2016, 06:21:14 pm »

Gun, yeah I play a lot of great indie titles on linux, it's not a major complaint (this is merely a peeve thread). But the majority of PC games are made for Windows exclusively.

Neo, you actually make a lot of sense with your last post.
That makes a lot of sense in that context. RIP NQT.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3137 on: February 26, 2016, 06:23:19 pm »

it wasn't an over-reaction and having the "diversity for the sake of diversity" pet peeve is a very valid one in gaming.  It's not that diversity is wrong, it's just so often the attempt is ham-fisted and comes across more bigoted than it would have to not have included them at all.  Almost always when you force diversity for the sake of diversity into a game, those characters become stereotypical charicatures.  Black men will often be "thug", or "jive", or "gangsta"(Barret from FF7 or Dee Jay from Street Fighter).  Gay men will almost always flamboyant sissies(Kefka from Final Fantasy 6, Reaver from Fable 2).  Lesbians will be sexually fetishized....aboriginals will be the "the noble savage".  The list is impossibly long.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3138 on: February 26, 2016, 06:28:30 pm »

...wait, since when was Kefka gay?  Or a sissy, come to think of it?

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3139 on: February 26, 2016, 06:36:12 pm »

Those are all problems that don't really have anything to do with the thing you're complaining about.
Really, if that's your issue with 'diversity for the sake of diversity' then uh, your issue ain't with diversity, it's with bad writers, hth.
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3140 on: February 26, 2016, 08:37:17 pm »

I hate how you can't move around in certain vehicles, like planes. Not only do I want to shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane, I also want to be able to jump out of the plane without pressing an 'eject' button.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3141 on: February 27, 2016, 12:27:59 am »

Welp, Toady seems to have banned Lossmar.  :-\
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3142 on: February 27, 2016, 01:29:04 am »

This isn't so much a single peeve as it is a collection of multiple peeves:

Generic Fantasyland
I know Tolkien is great and all but at least try to do something new for your game world instead of just taking all the cues from The Manual Of Generic Fantasy (also known as Tolkien's opus) and maybe changing it somewhat.
There aren't orcs but there are beings who act just like orcs only slightly different-looking and with a stupid name probably involving a hyphen and multiple apostrophes.
The landscape looks like you took the generic english countryside and removed the rain. The architecture and style is also known, humans having your generic medieval stone and wood construction and traditional designs, elves have your typical curvy designed everything and dwarves are into blocky stuff and overcompensating for their size with gold and huge statues.
Maybe some of the Holy Trio of Races (Elves, Dwarves and Humans) act a bit differently and/or are totally not elves, dwarves and humans but a completely new thing that acts entirely like either of those races. Bonus points for inventing a single new race and adding it in while not having them influence the setting one bit  (i.e. they are merely a side race while the Holy Trio do most of the moving and/or shaking) and merely being there as a way for the devs to say "See, we did someting different!".

I mean all I'm asking is for more interesting settings, like Dark Sun or Geneforge or even Planescape Torment. It's called "fantasy", not "ascribing to a certain set of pre-established rules and traditions of world building".

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3143 on: February 27, 2016, 02:52:47 am »

Stardew Valley's terrible artwork

Maybe this is subjective but in spite LOVING Harvest moon and the concept of a game trying to capture that sort of classic harvest moon gameplay.

It just looks so bad. The heads are squashed and the perspective is so flat.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3144 on: February 27, 2016, 06:19:49 am »

A worse thing that Stardew Valley does, and that's probably been mentioned here before:

Inconsistent sprite resolution and rotation
Indie games doing pixely sprites often mess it up by presenting them in different zoom levels or using them like regular sprites and doing skeletal animations instead of frame animations, to save time. Like in the case of Stardew Valley, where you've got the game world's graphics at like 4x zoom, and then you get the contents of the tv at 1x zoom, or the fishing pole line as a curve of pixels, and all the characters have micromovements to their animations that dislodge their 4x zoomed pixels and make them overlap.

I get that you'd want to save time, but god damn it's gonna look bad if you use zoomed in sprites at the same time as skeletal animations, or don't use the same zoom level for all your sprites.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3145 on: February 27, 2016, 02:06:37 pm »

Game mechanics that have such a disadvantage they are useless

Maybe I need to upgrade the Tracking Station or something, but it seems to me that transmitting science with an antenna in Kerbal Space Program is a waste of time. You get such a drastically small amount of science for transmitting an experiment, as opposed to recovering it on Kerbin, that you may as well not bother.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3146 on: February 27, 2016, 02:49:34 pm »

Game mechanics that have such a disadvantage they are useless

Maybe I need to upgrade the Tracking Station or something, but it seems to me that transmitting science with an antenna in Kerbal Space Program is a waste of time. You get such a drastically small amount of science for transmitting an experiment, as opposed to recovering it on Kerbin, that you may as well not bother.
That does have its uses though. If you send a ship one way with a bunch of probes then you can get a giant amount of science, despite not having the capability to return, which saves you a lot of money, and possibly a few lives. Now, this fix did introduce the problem where not having that reduction left you with no reason to actually return to Kerbin.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3147 on: February 27, 2016, 03:25:06 pm »

They're useful for reports, though. You can have kerbonauts make reports and immediately transmit them for full science, whereas if there's no antenna, they can only store one of each report in the capsule, limiting how much science you can get from reports - and there's always the risk that the rocket fails to make it back, or is destroyed on re-entry or landing.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3148 on: March 13, 2016, 02:23:58 pm »

Those minigames that are now everywhere. Lockpicking minigames, hacking minigames, whatever. I don't understand why they exist. Who is the guy who feel like he needs to add some match-four minigames in his game? Does anyone find hacking terminals in Fallout 3-4 fun? Was there some kind of review of original Fallout or Deus Ex or something that say "Yes, the game is really great, but it could use some sh**ty f**g minigames in it to be perfect"
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3149 on: March 13, 2016, 03:28:13 pm »

I actually like the hacking minigames in Fallout 3 and the lockpicking in Fallout-rim-blivion. It feels like I'm actually doing something, as opposed to just getting my numbers higher than the numbers on the door so now I can go through it.

There are some really shitty minigames, though, like the hacking minigame in Mass Effect, and that quest where you had to do five of them in a row to disarm a bomb.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 324