Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 519918 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #3045 on: February 20, 2016, 05:48:08 pm »

Old XCom's huge weakness was its UI

Like big time...

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3046 on: February 20, 2016, 08:27:51 pm »

Isn't it true that in the original X-com Sectopods were resistant to plasma, making laser weapons somewhat more relevant during, I believe, Ethereal terror missions?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3047 on: February 20, 2016, 09:06:39 pm »

Exactly!
Though beyond that, they weren't *that* much weaker than plasma.  Yeah heavy plasma magazines were superabundant after a certain point, but it was still viable to stick with lasers.

In TFTD, on the other hand, gauss (laser-equivalent) has magazines and many enemies just laugh at it.  Lobstermen in particular...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3048 on: February 20, 2016, 09:19:49 pm »

Sectopods could be reliably one-shotted with laser rifles on all difficulties, as could ethereals.  I habitually maintained four laser equipped snipers in my squad for this reason.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3049 on: February 20, 2016, 10:27:46 pm »

Old XCom's huge weakness was its UI

Like big time...
It was super bad. Took a long time to completely get the hang of it. But it's not like the game takes any more research to play than, say, Dwarf Fortress. If you have any kind of fortitude as a gamer you'll eventually figure it out.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3050 on: February 21, 2016, 03:34:45 am »

Oldcom also gave you a buttload of soldiers. So even though Mutons could take several laser shots, you could just drown them in sheer volume of fire. Skyranger had 14 slots and the ultimate craft had room for 26 troops. I used to run about 50/50 veterans/rookies past a certain point. Rookies were pretty good when you gave them cheap upgraded armour and a laser rifle.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3051 on: February 21, 2016, 03:48:11 am »

Blatant de-rail is blatant. There's an XCOM thread, take it there guys.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3052 on: February 21, 2016, 04:03:39 am »

I fucking hate turn-based RPGs that don't have an adequate excuse as to why the whole party isn't in the fight. Where the hell is Wakka and Lulu while three of us are fighting a bunch of monsters? And I'm not talking about fan explanations. I haven't even run into a game that had ANY in-universe explanation, let alone a bad one. That alone would probably satisfy me.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #3053 on: February 21, 2016, 05:44:23 am »

I fucking hate turn-based RPGs that don't have an adequate excuse as to why the whole party isn't in the fight. Where the hell is Wakka and Lulu while three of us are fighting a bunch of monsters? And I'm not talking about fan explanations. I haven't even run into a game that had ANY in-universe explanation, let alone a bad one. That alone would probably satisfy me.
Clarification please? Example? Context? I THINK I know what you mean, as in you're in a party of five, you're attacked and only three of you fight. Or you're running around with six, run into something obviously more than you can handle, and send out a single member of your party *cough cough pokemon*
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3054 on: February 21, 2016, 10:06:10 am »

Not Gunin, but gonna say in Golden Sun you end up with 8 party members, a front row and back row. You can switch rows in combat at any time, and if someone keels over you get to swap them the next turn provided someone's alive. The back row still gets XP for combat, they are in cutscenes and definitely there. Just can't fight more than 4 at a time, ever, regardless of stakes, location, or battleground.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3055 on: February 21, 2016, 10:20:58 am »

If it's too annoying, you could try the D&D Gold Box games from the 80s and early 90s. They let you move your characters around an actual battlefield of sorts. However, there are plenty of other potential peeves there - for example: the inefficient interface which requires you to press more keys than would have been necessary if they had thought for a few minutes before coding it.

Edit: edited to try to not sound as antagonistic
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 10:30:21 am by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3056 on: February 21, 2016, 11:46:17 am »

Goldbox game combat actually goes by really fast considering what goes on in it. Final Fantasy Tactics' interface, for instance, was a slow nightmare to control compared to those.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3057 on: February 21, 2016, 01:10:48 pm »

Goldbox game combat actually goes by really fast considering what goes on in it. Final Fantasy Tactics' interface, for instance, was a slow nightmare to control compared to those.
I would only ever play those Gameboy Advance tactics games on an emulator where you can fast forward. Much less frustrating that way.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3058 on: February 21, 2016, 01:29:51 pm »

A recent example would be child of light, where no matter how many people you gave, you can only have two in a fight at once. You can swap them out, but it gets really annoying.

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3059 on: February 22, 2016, 12:53:48 am »

Yeah, that annoys me as well, especially if it makes no sense.

Celestian Tales: Old North does that rather well.
You can only have 3 of your 6 characters as active at the same time even though they are together at all times and can be swapped aroujnd as much as you want, but you usually have a reason as to why the inactive 3 are not with you in battle. Sometimes its explained or implied, other times it is only fridge logic, but you always can see a good reason.

For example at one point you're protecting a crapload of fertilizer that is being delivered to a farm; your 3 active members are volunteering as the vanguard clearing the way and scouting ahead while the other 3 are guarding the cart itself.
Or you get surrounded by 6 enemies in a cutscene, but you only actually fight 3 of them yourself -> implying your "inactive" party members fought off the other 3.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 324