Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 518039 times)

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #1320 on: January 03, 2015, 04:40:13 pm »

I do dislike the lack of interactivity with Borderlands' story, but...

Also, I never said I hated Jack, I just said that he was a villain that you did have a connection with. I mean, it's not necessary, but it makes villains better. He wasn't an amazing villain from the normal sense, but... That voice acting. xD
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
  • Passwords get hidden, who knew? ••••••••
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: January 03, 2015, 04:41:07 pm »

Oh man, these respawning stations. When
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm with stupid |
                      v

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: January 03, 2015, 04:59:18 pm »

Gameplay and Story Segregation, TVTropes link redacted, search at your own risk.

The thing is, Borderlands just at its core isn't an RPG. It's a hack 'n slash with guns instead of swords.

I like the formula... it's a damn good formula. But it will never have the depth that I crave from a real RPG and I'm glad they aren't trying. THat's not to say it wasn't a colossal let-down that there's not even a single line between Lilith and Maya mentioning anything about the sirens at all.

For that matter I think it was really jarring to me to suddenly have the player characters from 1 be more formed characters... as I'm dropped into the body of an invisible one-liner fountain yet again. Don't get me wrong, there were many, many great changes to what is *actually* important (the gameplay!) but the lack of advancement on story fronts was a little disheartening. I got over it and started shooting stuff with crazy-ass rocket shotguns and burst fire grenade rifles and homing black hole electric grenades, though.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: January 03, 2015, 05:02:03 pm »

It's an issue of gameplay and story segregation, yes, but since they integrated the respawn points into the game world itself it doesn't work that way.
Seriously, they should have just had you pop back into existence at the start of the area. Maybe make checkpoints glowing balls of light or something. In those cases, it's easy to mark it off as 'oh, I'm the player, of course that's going to happen' but with respawn points? Recorded messages from the company talking to as you respawn? Yet for some reason the player characters are the only ones who can ever use them and they're never mentioned by other people? Sorry, WSoD can only go so far.
The circle is complete.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: January 03, 2015, 05:07:36 pm »

Right, and I completely get what you're saying. I think it's a symptom of the same plot problems here. There's a duality between zaniness and a very strong undertone of the macabre desperation of the shithole that Pandora really is, but the game design is unable to find a thin line to walk, instead tottering over from madcap to maudlin with disturbing regularity.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: January 03, 2015, 05:16:57 pm »

It's a decent game and 2 was better than 1. It always had the promise of finding something new which is a big draw to me in games. Mechanically it's fairly casual, and that's ok too. But when you drop the story on top of it, it all somehow takes a turn for the irritating.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: January 03, 2015, 05:25:11 pm »

I just think they really, really mishandled the respawning system, which fucks with the plot and introduces massive, gaping holes in the story.

Take Diablo 2 as an example of it being done right. They're similar games. In Diablo 2, you just sort of appear back in town missing your inventory. There's no explanation for it whatsoever. Hell, it makes even less sense because you can go collect your stuff off your own corpse but nobody ever questioned it because willing suspension of disbelief made up for it. It didn't need an explanation. It was just a sort of 'Well, I'm the player, of course I respawn when I die' and it didn't introduce massive gaping plot holes like 'Wait a minute, when X died why the hell didn't they just respawn like I've done a million times in a million different situations?'
Torchlight 2 is another similar one, done slightly differently yet still a lot better than the Borderlands series.

------

Peeve: Boss fights that you have to win to advance the plot but when the fight is over the story acts like the boss won and was kicking your ass the entire time. Why the hell didn't they just make it an unwinnable boss battle? 
The circle is complete.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: January 03, 2015, 05:30:18 pm »

Peeve: Boss fights that you have to win to advance the plot but when the fight is over the story acts like the boss won and was kicking your ass the entire time. Why the hell didn't they just make it an unwinnable boss battle?

I've seen it justified only a hand-full of times

Either that
A) If you lost then the boss just up and murdered you, rather then holding out until he injured you.
-In one game in particular that is the case. If you do badly and the boss kills you, he uses his finishing attack and it kills off your team. If you do well, he uses the same finishing attack but you still have enough energy to survive the attack.
or
B) You entertained the boss

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: January 03, 2015, 05:33:54 pm »

I've seen it justified only a hand-full of times

Either that
A) If you lost then the boss just up and murdered you, rather then holding out until he injured you.
-In one game in particular that is the case. If you do badly and the boss kills you, he uses his finishing attack and it kills off your team. If you do well, he uses the same finishing attack but you still have enough energy to survive the attack.
or
B) You entertained the boss

The first case is ehhhh. Understandable in a select few scenarios though, I guess.

The second one is still inexcusable. If the boss was just pretending to lose, it's fine, but when the game tells you that your party was losing the fight really badly the entire time (and yet you still need to actually win the fight to progress) it really pisses me off.
The circle is complete.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: January 03, 2015, 05:42:03 pm »

I said a handful of times. Usually it is exactly how you say it.

Besides the WORST case is when you outright beat the boss... and then the game goes "actually they beat you"

Rather then some vague "you did well"

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: January 03, 2015, 06:32:59 pm »

The Witcher 2 did the 'Warrior Girl' thing (the actual, proper warrior) reasonably well with Saskia. In almost all her appearances she's in full plate armor (though no helm, and excepting the Lesbomancy scene, of course.)

Except that
Spoiler: major spoiler (click to show/hide)

On the latest subject: I kind of like how Injustice: Gods Among Us's campaign had you fight each battle as the character who, according to their plot, would win it. That way you always either won and the plot continued, or you tried again. There was no winning and then being told that you actually failed. On the other hand, it gets challenging near the end of the campaign as the enemy difficulty picks up and it keeps swapping you to different characters that you may not know how to play. I ended up having to practice with them (or do the classic battle mode to get somewhat used to them - the campaign difficulty isn't very high even near the end).
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: January 03, 2015, 06:40:23 pm »

The Witcher 2 did the 'Warrior Girl' thing (the actual, proper warrior) reasonably well with Saskia. In almost all her appearances she's in full plate armor (though no helm, and excepting the Lesbomancy scene, of course.)

Except that
Spoiler: major spoiler (click to show/hide)

On the latest subject: I kind of like how Injustice: Gods Among Us's campaign had you fight each battle as the character who, according to their plot, would win it. That way you always either won and the plot continued, or you tried again. There was no winning and then being told that you actually failed. On the other hand, it gets challenging near the end of the campaign as the enemy difficulty picks up and it keeps swapping you to different characters that you may not know how to play. I ended up having to practice with them (or do the classic battle mode to get somewhat used to them - the campaign difficulty isn't very high even near the end).

The circle is complete.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: January 03, 2015, 07:30:44 pm »

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: January 04, 2015, 01:53:11 am »

I hate when games make it impossibly hard to get hold of the good equipment, specifically FPS.
Cod has all the best guns reserved for the highest levels making longer playing players extremely OP and harder for new players to level up.
Battlefield 3 didn't let jet pilots have heat seeking missles (primary air to air attack) until they got enough experience from using the only weapon on the jet, the front mounted manually aimed machine guns, me being a new player in an old game found it impossible to get a single kill on another jet because they were all older players with all the good equipment on their jets.

A game that doesn't seem to have this problem is Titanfall, most of the starting weapons are pretty good and with the ability to buy packs of burn cards (single use, single game upgrades like replace primary weapon with amped up version of x weapon or faster speed or double xp) makes it easy for new players to still be equal to old players since everyone has access to good weapons and equipment. Even though you have to level to get new equipment the standard equipment is pretty good and the new stuff isn't OP compared to the standard stuff
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: January 04, 2015, 02:23:43 am »

When DNA bubbles in Plague Inc. pop up in Alaska behind the options button so you have to zoom in to click on them.

I'm not even going to bother to make that complaint apply to any other games.  So annoying.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 324