Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 518078 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #1260 on: December 23, 2014, 11:00:59 am »

I dont know what it does.  Is it the standard tap to shift?

There aren't actual gears, you just accelerate, and the "accelerating" sound effect includes gear shifts. So, if you enter a freeway and hold the accelerate button, the car shifts up... and up... and up... 100 times, it has infinite gears even tho the car isn't even going any faster.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: December 23, 2014, 11:03:26 am »

Oh eww.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: December 23, 2014, 12:34:58 pm »

Many, many, MANY of the things listed in this thread have pissed me off at one time or another.

But my big complaint right now is games that appear to think that the only kind of monitor is a 16:9 widescreen, dude 4:5 and 4:3 are still used, putting black bars at the top and bottom of my monitor is not happy making. Just as bad is when the UI is partly cutoff or otherwise mangled, didn't you test this thing on non-widescreen monitors?
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: December 23, 2014, 01:00:38 pm »

Sergius: I never even noticed that.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: December 23, 2014, 04:44:46 pm »

There aren't actual gears, you just accelerate, and the "accelerating" sound effect includes gear shifts. So, if you enter a freeway and hold the accelerate button, the car shifts up... and up... and up... 100 times, it has infinite gears even tho the car isn't even going any faster.
Can you link to that? I'm intrigued by how that must sound.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: December 23, 2014, 10:58:30 pm »

I hate hate hate hate when different names are used for the same thing in a game.

In Fallout, the quest to join the Brotherhood of Steel involves you going to "The Ancient Order" to retrieve a holodisk. I explored the entire map, piece by piece over many different attempts, and couldn't find a map square labelled anything like that at all. It turns out that "The Ancient Order" is referring to an area called "the Glow" on the map. GRRRR SO MUCH WASTED TIME. Why couldn't there be an extra line explaining that the Ancient Order and the Glow are the same place?

EDIT:

Well don't I have egg on my face... the generic Paladin opposite the guy who gives you the quest tells you it's the Glow.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 11:39:51 pm by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: December 24, 2014, 06:08:21 pm »

Can you link to that? I'm intrigued by how that must sound.

Kinda hard to find that specifically. It sounds like any other game, it shifts, then you get a low engine sound which gets higher pitched, then it shifts again, and the "next" gear again starts low pitched and goes up to the higher pitch.

Except in real cars you're in "1st gear" then "2nd gear" up to perhaps 6th gear (higher gears take longer to max out). Here it's just a loop.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: December 24, 2014, 06:54:34 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Do note I'm referring to the fact that you have to be online to play single player, not that servers don't always function perfectly.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: December 24, 2014, 07:09:35 pm »

Speaking of Diablo, I dislike when a game's single-player is heavily based on the multiplayer metagame. Diablo 2 is all about character optimization, and I don't like to sit down and crunch numbers or look up build guides just to have a chance of success. The farthest I ever got was the start of Act 3, and my character was lagging behind to the point that basic enemies were a slog. Not fun.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: December 24, 2014, 07:37:21 pm »

Do note I'm referring to the fact that you have to be online to play single player, not that servers don't always function perfectly.

Yeah.  I don't buy games that pull the always-online-single-player thing. There are hundreds of excellent games clamoring for my money that also respect me as a consumer. 

Like Divinity: OS from GOG!  I'm getting that one soon and am super excited.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: December 31, 2014, 03:32:32 am »

Spelling errors. In a game, nothing takes me out of the experience more than poor spelling and grammatical errors. Fallout 1 has quite a few, including really glaring ones like "thanx" instead of "thanks" (I think when talking to somebody in the Chapel, or maybe the Brotherhood).

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: December 31, 2014, 03:51:38 am »

Not particularly a game mechanic as the actual game itself is excellent (when it works) but as far as I can tell, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic only functions when it feels like it. Seriously. Run the game normally, it works. Quit the game, try to run it again, doesn't work. Change to XP SP3 Comp mode, it works. Quit and run again, it doesn't. Change back to normal mode, it doesn't work. Change to XP SP2 compatibility mode and it loads to the menu but crashes when you try to go in-game. Change to XP SP3 again, it works. Quit and try to run again, it doesn't. Go to XP SP2 comp mode and it runs perfectly this time for whatever reason. Quit and start up again, nope. Try Windows 2000 and 95 comp modes, doesn't work. Go back to XP SP2 it does.

Seriously, what the hell is up with this? It's like every time I start it up it RNGs for which compatibility mode it will work with.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: January 02, 2015, 09:00:36 pm »

World of Assholes

50% of why I don't like Fable (the first one, but I imagine the others are much the same). Everybody is an asshole, a sycophantic follower, or totally neutral to your character. Nobody is nice, nobody is helpful, everybody just plain sucks. Not to mention that 90% of NPCs have the most obnoxious, gimmicky fake British accents imaginable. I actually kind of like Fable's gameplay and I don't mind the graphics that much, but by God is everything else about the game annoying.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: January 02, 2015, 09:04:38 pm »

World of Assholes

50% of why I don't like Fable (the first one, but I imagine the others are much the same). Everybody is an asshole, a sycophantic follower, or totally neutral to your character. Nobody is nice, nobody is helpful, everybody just plain sucks. Not to mention that 90% of NPCs have the most obnoxious, gimmicky fake British accents imaginable. I actually kind of like Fable's gameplay and I don't mind the graphics that much, but by God is everything else about the game annoying.
Wasnt that more to limitations?  I wasnt a fan of how shallow the combat was, and I thought it was because of the social interactions.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: January 02, 2015, 09:20:36 pm »

World of Assholes

You know... sometimes that is EXACTLY why I love a game.

Mind you the games I am thinking of were almost always point and clicks.
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 324