Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 518104 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #1230 on: December 03, 2014, 03:16:10 pm »

"But you must!"
Not actually linking the tvtropes page...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Lossmar

• Bay Watcher
  • Humanity Fuck Yeah !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: December 03, 2014, 03:19:56 pm »

- lack of good games remakes when shit franchises like Ass Creed or COD get a new game every year - i would fucking kill for a new Freespace, Darklands, Nexus Jupiter Incident and many many more but devs are too lazy to risk and try something new.
You say that, but imagine them being done by a modern mainstream studio. "Darklands One, now a Skyrim clone in the colonial US. Fight the evil British gremlins as a warrior, thief or wizard."

I think remakes should be done more of games that had innovative concepts but failed to some extent in execution. It's way easier to fail at recreating a great game than it is to make a meh game good, I feel.

Remake Twilight 2000, Mega Traveller, Millennia: Altered Destinies, X-Com: Apocalypse, Bureau 13, or Dominus. There's so much unrealized potential in these.

Divinity Original Sin was a huge success and despite how hard, complicated and old school it was... so its a risk but i say it would be awesome to remake those IP's instead of the next Ass Creed rehash.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 03:22:02 pm by Lossmar »
How to cure gaming industry in couple easy steps :
1. Stop preordering games.
2. Stop hyping games that have nothing to show except pre-rendered hype trailer.
3. Always distrust corporations.
4. Always rage at criminal DLC , microtransactions, pre-order bonuses and other semi legal practices.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: December 03, 2014, 04:12:43 pm »

Couple more :

- Absolute lack of any sexual content/life ( aka American rightwinger hypocrisy ) - your heroes kill hundreds of people, maim, wound and ruin countless sentient creatures but god forbids if someone fucks anyone, there is absolutely no nudity or any kind of sexual life even in RPG's. Also conservatards going complete apeshit over naked tits in game ( GTA SA Hot Coffee comes to mind or Original textures to Oblivion scandal )/ any kind of "hard" content like sexual slavery, drugs, child killing, rape etc and no one cares about those many murders you commit in often various horrible ways.

Dud(ette), take a chill pill and stop being so insulting.  Someone believing differently from you doesn't make them a retard. Also - do you realize that using a learning disability / mental condition as an insult is incredibly insensitive?  You're just as blinkered as the people you're complaining about.   And how on earth have you missed the people who complain about violent games? I mean, we've only had people claiming that violence in games is going to cause problems for years.

If you mean, 'I want games to address complex issues in a mature and reasonable manner', then I agree with you. If you mean 'more collectible boob cards and inescapable sex scenes a la Witcher!'...I think we're going to have to agree to disagree.  I'd rather have a realistic relationship presented at Teen/PG-13 levels.

I think we agree that modern games are often too violent (although I do think that violence and sex are very distinct from each other - both can be problematic, but in different ways and for different reasons, so they're not really equivalents like you seem to think).  I'd prefer games to get less violent, instead of filling them with both violence and sex, but I'm going to guess that that isn't your preferred solution.

Pet Peeve: The tendency towards Lawful Stupid / Chaotic Dumb is irritating.  So are the fake-choice dialogs.  Games with complex stories or interesting ideas, or at least modding capability so players can make that, don't seem popular with publishers.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 04:21:47 pm by Ghills »
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: December 03, 2014, 04:54:14 pm »

I have one: Games giving you two dialogue choices when both choices immediately lead to the exact same outcome.

Spoiler: You mean like this? (click to show/hide)
This is a great example of the non-choice played for laughs. Monkey Island was great for this.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: December 03, 2014, 08:14:45 pm »

I have one: Games giving you two dialogue choices when both choices immediately lead to the exact same outcome.

Spoiler: You mean like this? (click to show/hide)
This is a great example of the non-choice played for laughs. Monkey Island was great for this.

To be fair, a lot of dialogue that wasn't mocking this had no effect, other than watching the conversation develop slightly differently (or identical).

But this is the kind of game where conversation can just be conversation. I assume he meant games where actual dialogue choices only show up when they're supposed to be meaningful.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: December 03, 2014, 09:10:04 pm »

Monkey Island has all the best Non-choices.

My favorite being in the third game!

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: December 03, 2014, 11:29:11 pm »

Flavor.

I was thinking you meant something like:

--Will you take me with you -eeeehawww--?
  --I e-eeehaww promiise not to get in the way or be really really annoying-- [lies]!

Yes
    No

And upon answering no you get some one liner and the question is repeated.

It's funny, because I'll sometimes actually save right before conversations with dialogue options like this, in case I guess the right one by accident. It can be pretty funny sometimes to pick the stupid option and see how they wrote it to keep you from actually choosing it. I remember playing a game where the final boss offers to let you join him at the end, and if you pick "yes" it just gives you a game over. I found it hilarious.

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: December 04, 2014, 03:23:56 am »

Flavor.

I was thinking you meant something like:

--Will you take me with you -eeeehawww--?
  --I e-eeehaww promiise not to get in the way or be really really annoying-- [lies]!

Yes
    No

And upon answering no you get some one liner and the question is repeated.

It's funny, because I'll sometimes actually save right before conversations with dialogue options like this, in case I guess the right one by accident. It can be pretty funny sometimes to pick the stupid option and see how they wrote it to keep you from actually choosing it. I remember playing a game where the final boss offers to let you join him at the end, and if you pick "yes" it just gives you a game over. I found it hilarious.

Wasn't this also in one of the Saints Rows?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #1238 on: December 04, 2014, 03:56:05 am »

I remember playing a game where the final boss offers to let you join him at the end, and if you pick "yes" it just gives you a game over. I found it hilarious.
You could do that in the first Golden Sun game...

Cowboy Colt

• Bay Watcher
  • You're gonna carry that weight.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: December 04, 2014, 04:15:42 am »

I remember playing a game where the final boss offers to let you join him at the end, and if you pick "yes" it just gives you a game over. I found it hilarious.
You could do that in the first Golden Sun game...
I remember that decision being right at the start, right?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: December 04, 2014, 09:43:07 am »

Ha, those are great.  Star Control 2 had this too.  You can eventually surrender to one of the antagonist factions, giving them your unique Precursor battleship.  This probably changes the fate of the galaxy, saving dozens of intelligent species from eradication.  The game doesn't tell you, because you're executed for insurgency.  It's not a trap, they tell you upfront.  It's an interesting choice.

Star Control 3 had one, too, but I think it was just a trap or something.  SC3 wasn't all that bad but it was a letdown.  My peeve: those horrible claymation faces.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: December 04, 2014, 10:40:09 am »

Actually SC3 was all done with animatronics instead of claymation. Though I can understand why you'd think that. Whatever they used to encode the videos makes the models look pretty doughy and clay-like.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: December 04, 2014, 10:58:05 am »

Re: Non-standard game overs:

There's one in Fallout: New Vegas where

Re: "StarCon 3"

The biggest failing of the puppets were the Syreen. Arilou is second. It's a shame because the game itself wasn't that bad, it just had nothing at all to do with Star Control. Thanks for the V-I pic though, HARRRRRUMMMMMPPPPPPPPSHHHHHH!!
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: December 04, 2014, 11:38:28 am »

« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 08:10:01 am by penguinofhonor »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: December 04, 2014, 12:02:14 pm »

There is a game for the DS based around non-standard game overs. Why? because you have to collect every single game over in the game if you want the true ending.

What is this game? Radiant Historia

What is really interesting is this one person you meet later in the game probably causes the most game overs in the game. he cries to you at multiple points of the game and if you say the wrong thing he will basically kamikaze and self-destruct.

Only one other character causes similar amount of game overs, but the difference is the person above doesn't game over you as an important juncture (these are all unimportant conversations). While this guy usually game overs you because they didn't find a way out of it and you need to explore the other timelines a bit more.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 12:07:56 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 324