Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 518105 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #1215 on: December 01, 2014, 09:39:08 pm »

King's Field is very immersive for me and it's 3D is considerably worse than the original Runescape.

Cowboy Colt

• Bay Watcher
  • You're gonna carry that weight.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: December 02, 2014, 06:05:23 am »

I think we might be getting away from what problems we see with games vs. what we see in the community and industry as a whole.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: December 02, 2014, 07:32:55 am »

I'm pretty sure the thread has done that switch a few times already.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: December 02, 2014, 07:38:14 am »

I like it when games have good graphics. DF has good graphics, so does Fez, so does the original XCOM, so does the latest cod of Duty.

Texture resolution is mostly irrelevant as long as the graphics are consistent and make sense. A game with bad graphics almost always detracts from your experience because your immersion is ruined or you can't tell what's happening.

E: Looks like I was ninjad and aesthetics is the word I'm looking for. Aesthetics are very important to me.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 07:40:19 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: December 02, 2014, 09:47:19 am »

Not exactly a pet peeve so much as something I wish a game would fix, but alliances in political games which are essentially permanent.

I love realpolitik in games and its really annoying to see alliances in series like Total War and Europa Universalis, or even fictional settings like Galactic Civilizations 2, last either the entire game or get quickly broken.  Looking at you EU with your hundreds of years long alliances.  I get when there are human players playing and they won't re-ally after it gets broken the first time, but seriously: alliances in real life don't work like that.  Country's interests align on a temporary basis and shift apart, and it never seems to get modeled like that in games.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: December 02, 2014, 02:35:52 pm »

Extra Credits is pretty great. Here they talk about the difference between graphics and aesthetics and the results of people not knowing the difference, etc:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oK8UTRgvJU
"Extra Credits - Graphics vs. Aesthetics - Why High Resolution Graphics Aren't Enough"
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Lossmar

• Bay Watcher
  • Humanity Fuck Yeah !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: December 03, 2014, 01:32:47 pm »

Couple more :

- Absolute lack of any sexual content/life ( aka American rightwinger hypocrisy ) - your heroes kill hundreds of people, maim, wound and ruin countless sentient creatures but god forbids if someone fucks anyone, there is absolutely no nudity or any kind of sexual life even in RPG's. Also conservatards going complete apeshit over naked tits in game ( GTA SA Hot Coffee comes to mind or Original textures to Oblivion scandal )/ any kind of "hard" content like sexual slavery, drugs, child killing, rape etc and no one cares about those many murders you commit in often various horrible ways.

- unequal difficulty level - whole game is a cake walk but then there is this one boss/mission/something that amps the difficulty level by 1000 % and basiucally ruins the entire game ( often for completely illogical and pointless reasons ).

- time limits - i just fucking hate them ...

- "good and brave and lawful way is the only possible way " in RPG's - bonus points to irritation when the Bad way is technically possible but with so much fake difficulty and stupid shit that its simply not valid/fun ( looking at you Baldurs Gate ).

- lack of any bonuses for best times/ratings etc, lack of New Game +, lack of cheats - i hate the recent modern trend of putting awesome items/weapons/characters in paid DLC and all those things only giving you some shitty achievements that only attention whores care about..

- too much of a leap between difficulty levels aka Normal = too easy, hard= too hard ( im looking at you XCOM Enemy Unknown 2012 ).
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 01:43:31 pm by Lossmar »
How to cure gaming industry in couple easy steps :
1. Stop preordering games.
2. Stop hyping games that have nothing to show except pre-rendered hype trailer.
3. Always distrust corporations.
4. Always rage at criminal DLC , microtransactions, pre-order bonuses and other semi legal practices.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: December 03, 2014, 01:43:43 pm »

any kind of "hard" content like sexual slavery, drugs, child killing, rape etc
Plenty of games have drugs (well, Fallout). I think I'm fine without the rest of that stuff.

Lossmar

• Bay Watcher
  • Humanity Fuck Yeah !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: December 03, 2014, 02:00:45 pm »

any kind of "hard" content like sexual slavery, drugs, child killing, rape etc
Plenty of games have drugs (well, Fallout). I think I'm fine without the rest of that stuff.
Im talking about REAL portrait of drugs and drug usage not some magic pills that have some meager side effect when you "overdose" or get "addicted".

More peeve :
- Good = dumb and naive, ready to kneel and blow any random quest giver, bad = fuck you gib me moniez or i'll kill you im so edgy and bad i make razors seem dull with all my edge - in general i hate any kind of good/bad meter because its often completely arbitrary, stupid and artificial ( Fallout 3 was BAAAD at this, albo SW TOR is an example of the main peeve ) .

- lack of good games remakes when shit franchises like Ass Creed or COD get a new game every year - i would fucking kill for a new Freespace, Darklands, Nexus Jupiter Incident and many many more but devs are too lazy to risk and try something new.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 02:07:24 pm by Lossmar »
How to cure gaming industry in couple easy steps :
1. Stop preordering games.
2. Stop hyping games that have nothing to show except pre-rendered hype trailer.
3. Always distrust corporations.
4. Always rage at criminal DLC , microtransactions, pre-order bonuses and other semi legal practices.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: December 03, 2014, 02:11:53 pm »

Couple more :

- Absolute lack of any sexual content/life ( aka American rightwinger hypocrisy ) - your heroes kill hundreds of people, maim, wound and ruin countless sentient creatures but god forbids if someone fucks anyone, there is absolutely no nudity or any kind of sexual life even in RPG's. Also conservatards going complete apeshit over naked tits in game ( GTA SA Hot Coffee comes to mind or Original textures to Oblivion scandal )/ any kind of "hard" content like sexual slavery, drugs, child killing, rape etc and no one cares about those many murders you commit in often various horrible ways.

- unequal difficulty level - whole game is a cake walk but then there is this one boss/mission/something that amps the difficulty level by 1000 % and basiucally ruins the entire game ( often for completely illogical and pointless reasons ).

- time limits - i just fucking hate them ...

- "good and brave and lawful way is the only possible way " in RPG's - bonus points to irritation when the Bad way is technically possible but with so much fake difficulty and stupid shit that its simply not valid/fun ( looking at you Baldurs Gate ).

- lack of any bonuses for best times/ratings etc, lack of New Game +, lack of cheats - i hate the recent modern trend of putting awesome items/weapons/characters in paid DLC and all those things only giving you some shitty achievements that only attention whores care about..

- too much of a leap between difficulty levels aka Normal = too easy, hard= too hard ( im looking at you XCOM Enemy Unknown 2012 ).

As far as sexual content.  Id have no problem with it being in, but I think that with the current rating sytem itd be hard to make anything more than a niche game.  I would like to keep 'teen' games around, and they could have implications around.  But to make an adult game and ask children not to play is odd . . . in our society.
Marketing says that the larger the target audience the more money, and I think thats won out.  More money in less sex.  Except when not, because we still get those over;y sexualized games.  Like sickeningly so.  Bloodrayne, or w.e.

On difficulty . . . since I play on hard to begin with, I often find myself wanting a 'real' setting.  One where one shots do happen to you and where enemies dont take 50 shots while you can only take 3.  The idea that more health=harder is finally tarting to fade some I think . .  te be replace with mechanics such as regenerating life and bonuses for arbitrary stuff.  -Like best time ratings :P

Bonuses only work on games where the point is to be the best, fastest, etc.  Rewards are nice, but when you hand them out like cookies I find it immersion breaking.  Everyone does not need a trophy, and behavioralistic rewarding needs context.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: December 03, 2014, 02:37:02 pm »

- lack of good games remakes when shit franchises like Ass Creed or COD get a new game every year - i would fucking kill for a new Freespace, Darklands, Nexus Jupiter Incident and many many more but devs are too lazy to risk and try something new.
You say that, but imagine them being done by a modern mainstream studio. "Darklands One, now a Skyrim clone in the colonial US. Fight the evil British gremlins as a warrior, thief or wizard."

I think remakes should be done more of games that had innovative concepts but failed to some extent in execution. It's way easier to fail at recreating a great game than it is to make a meh game good, I feel.

Remake Twilight 2000, Mega Traveller, Millennia: Altered Destinies, X-Com: Apocalypse, Bureau 13, or Dominus. There's so much unrealized potential in these.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: December 03, 2014, 02:43:20 pm »

I have one: Games giving you two dialogue choices when both choices immediately lead to the exact same outcome.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: December 03, 2014, 03:08:49 pm »

I have one: Games giving you two dialogue choices when both choices immediately lead to the exact same outcome.

Spoiler: You mean like this? (click to show/hide)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: December 03, 2014, 03:11:15 pm »

Even worse. They seem like two different dialog options. So instead, it would be "I"LL BE BACK" or "YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE LAST OF ME!" or "See you, then" with all the same result.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: December 03, 2014, 03:13:13 pm »

Flavor.

I was thinking you meant something like:

--Will you take me with you -eeeehawww--?
  --I e-eeehaww promiise not to get in the way or be really really annoying-- [lies]!

Yes
    No

And upon answering no you get some one liner and the question is repeated.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 324