Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 518349 times)

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #810 on: September 15, 2013, 06:47:25 pm »

Fixed Cameras
3D third-person games where you have no control over the camera what so ever. There's not much else to say about this.
Silent Hill isn't so bad. Tank controls are ridiculous though.
...I was not aware that Silent Hill had a tank. It also seems really, really hard to be scared while controlling a tank.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: September 15, 2013, 06:48:54 pm »

Fixed Cameras
3D third-person games where you have no control over the camera what so ever. There's not much else to say about this.
...I was not aware that Silent Hill had a tank. It also seems really, really hard to be scared while controlling a tank.
ohgodohgodohgod it's the pyramid head guy!
oh wait.. i'm in a tank.

Achievement Get! : Pyramid Demolisher
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #812 on: September 15, 2013, 06:51:49 pm »

Fixed Cameras
No, no. Your character controls like a tank. You push left and right on the movement stick to change your facing, unlike in most 3rd person games where your character automatically faces whichever direction you push the stick in.

EDIT: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TankControls

flame99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: September 15, 2013, 06:54:44 pm »

Fixed Cameras
No, no. Your character controls like a tank. You push left and right on the movement stick to change your facing, unlike in most 3rd person games where your character automatically faces whichever direction you push the stick in.

EDIT: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TankControls
Ah, thanks. This makes much more sense.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: September 15, 2013, 07:02:27 pm »

Related are Horse Controls: your character automatically faces wherever you point while you're standing still, but if you're moving then you have a limited turning speed. Monster Hunter characters control like this.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: September 15, 2013, 07:06:14 pm »

Hrm. This gets me thinking... how would a survival horror in a tank work?

I think it could work... if you did it really well. Somehow. Maybe bring it down to "survival horror in a car".

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: September 15, 2013, 07:08:54 pm »

Related are Horse Controls: your character automatically faces wherever you point while you're standing still, but if you're moving then you have a limited turning speed. Monster Hunter characters control like this.

Actual horse riding in some games, too. Epona in Twilight Princess is incredibly fun to ride until you bump into something. Then she comes to a stop in two seconds, does a little four-second animation where she rears and turns around, then autopilots on her new course for a seemingly random amount of time.

At least it's not like the boat in Wind Waker, where overshooting an island can cause up to a minute of carefully re-aligning your boat and cruising at an agonizingly slow clip until you can swim to shore.

EDIT:

I think it could work... if you did it really well. Somehow. Maybe bring it down to "survival horror in a car".

Simple enough:

Zombie tank pilots.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: September 15, 2013, 07:11:12 pm »

Simple enough:

Zombie tank pilots.
As much as I hate using memes, there really is no better way to respond to this:
Shut up and take my money.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 07:17:18 pm by flameboy99 »

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: September 15, 2013, 07:13:47 pm »

Simple enough:

Zombie tank pilots.

Zombie dragons.

You don't need food, you need diesel. You still need ammo, but now it's 105mm DU rounds.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: September 15, 2013, 07:14:27 pm »

Actual horse riding in some games, too.

Yeah, I considered mentioning that horses usually have horse controls but it seemed a bit obvious. Boats are a good example, though many of them have the same slow turn speed even when they're not moving.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: September 15, 2013, 07:38:06 pm »

I like the idea of slow horror that sets in over a few hours of play instead of jump-scares or gore. I'd play it.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Squill

• Bay Watcher
  • Decided to play DF, I guess I'm back now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: September 15, 2013, 07:42:17 pm »

Oh wow I hate emptiness. I really feel uncomfortable playing a game without there being some other NPC or something there. I don't care if they hate me and are antagonistic, games always feel a mix of terrifying and dull without a character there to... I don't really know what to do. Just be a character.
Garry's Mod always made me unsettled for that very reason. Even in the places where there should be, by all reasons, people... There just isn't. It's also why I haaaate Gmod maps with scary secrets. I don't mind the idea of having something scary happen if you explore enough as long as there's an actual game around it, but the idea of just being alone except for something deeply malevolent somewhere in the level... Actually, that'd be a good game in and of itself. A seemingly normal city on a sunny day, unlike Silent Hill where it's obvious something went down and has depressing weather, except there is absolutely no-one around and if you dig deep, you can find unpleasing secrets...
You stand on the brightly lit street, with nothing but the low howl of the breeze between the buildings to keep you company. In the distance you hear the cheery cries of a cellphone, calling out for someone, anyone, exactly as you wish to do right now. However, the silence is dense, cloying, religiously upheld, and you do not wish to meet the enforcers of quiet. Even now, you can almost feel the inhuman eyes peering from the high tinted windows, and the warden beneath the manholes stalking the sound of your footsteps.
I have not posted in almost a year
But now in iambic verse I am here

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: September 15, 2013, 07:45:42 pm »

Two great ideas for survival horror games! I'd discuss them further, but on 3DS so conversation is awkward at best.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: September 18, 2013, 09:08:22 pm »

I'd love a "build-your-own" style of horror game, with level editing. Large enough to where you can choose from a variety of objects- levels could be anything from purely atmospheric to "OMFG PYRAMID HEAD ARMY" or it's equivalent.

Of course there's a story.

Maybe do this on gmod, where you can make your own tunnel system, and have stuff like death hands coming out of walls and stuff
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: September 19, 2013, 09:27:04 am »

The Amnesia level editor's kinda like that. A bit limited, but people have done some interesting things with it.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 324