Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 518353 times)

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #780 on: September 14, 2013, 09:06:05 am »

There are different kinds of random encounter systems. The common is the one where there are zones that has an encounter chance every step. This is the most common kind. Sometimes there's an encounter bar that limits the total encounter in the area.

Then there's the enemy on the map encounter. Usually, you need to hit them or get hit by them to battle. They become mandetory battles most of the time.

Persona 3 and 4 has good random encounters. You can even avoid low level enemies since they run away from you rather than forcing you to fight them everytime.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: September 14, 2013, 09:23:33 am »

Wouldnt using this "run" ability to any significant degree suggest the player does not want to finish (and thus is not enjoying) the random encounters?

Most of what I say is aimed at earlier JRPG style systems, where the combat in general always felt tacked-on and pointless to me.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #782 on: September 14, 2013, 03:08:31 pm »

Yeah in Guardian's Crusade and Okage: Shadow King there are ghostly apparitions that represent monsters, and their size and colour represent how tough they are. And if you significantly outlevel them then they run and try to stay away from you. It's to help backtracking when you've got a large game world, and so that you don't get bored from encounters by being forced into them.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: September 14, 2013, 04:45:03 pm »

Shin Megami Tensei IV kinda had this- and even when you were attacked by something, sometimes, they'd ask you for forgiveness/ "please don't kill me", or something else. Being able to talk to an enemy was pretty awesome, and it was more awesome when one decided to talk rather than fight instead of always attacking and not using the same tools the player had.

I can't remember if low-level encounter shadows ran away or not.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: September 14, 2013, 04:47:25 pm »

What do you mean? I can't think of any examples of this

Of noob stomper characters? Cervantes is that in the soul caliber series. He has a spamable move that isn't soo soo bad if you are very experienced with the game. Yet against newer players it does way too much damage for how punishing it is for them.

As for an example of "The air is goo" how about the Fatal Frame series. While I personally don't mind (it is a horror) your characters will never move with any sense of urgency even when they are being attacked by ghosts that will KILL YOU! This won't stop you from sprinting in cut scenes though.

Another thing for Demon's Souls, you were probably just wearing really heavy armour

Naw, he seems to have that awkward movement either way.

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: September 14, 2013, 04:56:10 pm »

It's not the developer's fault I don't think but I don't like how there are very few games out in this day and age that interest me. There's maybe one game I would want to upgrade my computer for and that's The Sims 3. Outside of that most of the games that I do enjoy playing are from 2005 and prior and thus don't require me to upgrade my computer at all. It's like they used all of the good ideas already.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: September 14, 2013, 05:57:32 pm »

It's not the developer's fault I don't think but I don't like how there are very few games out in this day and age that interest me. There's maybe one game I would want to upgrade my computer for and that's The Sims 3. Outside of that most of the games that I do enjoy playing are from 2005 and prior and thus don't require me to upgrade my computer at all. It's like they used all of the good ideas already.

What is funny is a lot of gamers actually push for games to push the performance of a computer.

People actively complain about how The Sims 4 is actually LESS PC intensive then The Sims 3 (mind you I personally think it is because of more efficient coding)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: September 14, 2013, 06:06:28 pm »

What is funny is a lot of gamers actually push for games to push the performance of a computer.

People actively complain about how The Sims 4 is actually LESS PC intensive then The Sims 3 (mind you I personally think it is because of more efficient coding)
But those people generally have poorly informed decisions.
They want the best graphics processing and CPU usage even when it adds nothing to the aesthetics or the mechanics. It's like where they have animals in operant conditioning running around in a circle every time before they press the button, because a few times before they spun around before they first pressed the button and were rewarded for it. In the 'olden days' of gaming, games looked better as the hardware got better. Nowadays though, we can make games that look pretty fine without needing another massive technological advancement.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: September 14, 2013, 06:48:36 pm »

In the 'olden days' of gaming, games looked better as the hardware got better

Well excluding the early days of 3d... or as I call it "The days of ugly"

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: September 14, 2013, 09:00:27 pm »

Realtime global illumination is something that has only recently become somewhat possible thanks to faster hardware. A lack of global iillumination is generally why "realistic" games look grey and brown - to hide this.

Massive technological improvements would allow for realtime global illumination in games and thus allow for realistic games to become more colourful, and look nicer.

So I hope graphical technology continues to improve, since there is alot more that can be done with it.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: September 14, 2013, 09:45:03 pm »

Unrealistic penalties:
Don't get me wrong, I don't mind penalties for failing. Heck, I have a good collection of roguelikes and other games with death penalties. But getting "killed" results in me waking up at the hospital sans weapons and $1500? I'm pretty sure $1500 won't even pay for an x-ray, much less having two clips of ammo dug out of my sternum, and it would be weeks/months before I made a full recovery. Roll back to a previous save or checkpoint, don't try to explain how I bribed the surviving cops to let me out of jail with my pocket change.

Sluggish controls:
This is 2013. I'm on a PC that's quite a bit more powerful than the console systems (which I know you designed for), even accounting for the bloated OS and crapware. So why, in the name of all that is digital and slothful, is there a noticeable delay between me moving the mouse or pressing a key and my character's reaction? Even more baffling is when this shows up in AAA titles. At least indie games can claim inexperience and budget concerns, what's your excuse?

Scripted ambushes:
Look, I take great pains to make sure that I go into every fight with the advantage. Stealth, sniping, crowd control, traps, you name it I've probably got some way to exploit it. That's what I enjoy. I don't enjoy having five guys spawn from the room I previously swept just so the devs can feel they made the game "challenging" enough. I enjoy it even less when I have to set traps in places that make no sense because I know a bunch of guys will spawn there at random. A good ambush is fine, but have the guys really be there and if I get the drop on them, let me enjoy my moment of simulated genius.

Loooooooooooooong cutscenes:
Cut it with the pseudo-videos Spielberg. If I wanted to watch a poorly rendered action sequence with cheesy dialogue and vague plot, I'd switch over to Netflix. If a cutscene has a duration that has to be measured in minutes, seriously consider whether it's actually required. If a cutscene reaches 10 minutes, it's too long. Period.

While we're on the subject, all cutscenes need to be pausable and skippable. Real life happens, if I'm playing a single player game I should be able to put it down at any time without issue. That's why I'm playing single player.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: September 14, 2013, 10:34:53 pm »

But those people generally have poorly informed decisions.
They want the best graphics processing and CPU usage even when it adds nothing to the aesthetics or the mechanics. It's like where they have animals in operant conditioning running around in a circle every time before they press the button, because a few times before they spun around before they first pressed the button and were rewarded for it. In the 'olden days' of gaming, games looked better as the hardware got better. Nowadays though, we can make games that look pretty fine without needing another massive technological advancement.
I honestly can't tell the difference between games like Crysis 1 and 3 or any of the CoD games after 4.  They all have the EXACT SAME GRAPHICS unless you pause it and look really closely at the graphics.  Otherwise, when I'm rapidly running around the fact that there are a few extra pixels on that tree that I don't even notice will make no difference. 
In Mount and Blade, the graphics aren't trying to shove as many pixels into a model as possible.  Do you know what this allows my crappy laptop to do?  I can run battles with over 300 individual soldiers before the lag becomes noticeable.  The power of the computer is actually used for IMPROVING the gameplay. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #792 on: September 14, 2013, 10:40:20 pm »

I honestly can't tell the difference between games like Crysis 1 and 3 or any of the CoD games after 4.  They all have the EXACT SAME GRAPHICS unless you pause it and look really closely at the graphics.  Otherwise, when I'm rapidly running around the fact that there are a few extra pixels on that tree that I don't even notice will make no difference. 
In Mount and Blade, the graphics aren't trying to shove as many pixels into a model as possible.  Do you know what this allows my crappy laptop to do?  I can run battles with over 300 individual soldiers before the lag becomes noticeable.  The power of the computer is actually used for IMPROVING the gameplay.
I dunno about Crysis but CoD I can definitely agree on.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: September 14, 2013, 10:43:00 pm »

I don't really care about graphics anymore because of my poor eyesight. I just don't notice the quality anymore unless it's really obvious.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: September 14, 2013, 11:01:59 pm »

ptw
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 324