Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 518356 times)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #795 on: September 15, 2013, 12:27:42 am »

Lag, ever anymore

If you can't find a way to make it go fast, then scale your ideas down. With the way computers are and have been for a while now (the Xbox 360 game out in around 2006, I believe) there is no reason for a decent-looking game to not run butter-smooth.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: September 15, 2013, 01:53:28 am »

It's not the developer's fault I don't think but I don't like how there are very few games out in this day and age that interest me. There's maybe one game I would want to upgrade my computer for and that's The Sims 3. Outside of that most of the games that I do enjoy playing are from 2005 and prior and thus don't require me to upgrade my computer at all. It's like they used all of the good ideas already.

What is funny is a lot of gamers actually push for games to push the performance of a computer.

Maybe that's why there are very few games that I'm interested in anymore, the damnable mainstream gamers and their influence on the developers of today. I'm not meaning to be elitist. I just don't like how humans tend to operate on the same thought level as sheep and how this ends up ruining things that I like.

I used to get excited for new video games now it's becoming more and more rare with each passing year. I can count the number of games I'm excited for at this time on one hand and it makes me want to cry because it's like part of myself has died thanks to video games becoming both commonplace and mainstream.

People actively complain about how The Sims 4 is actually LESS PC intensive then The Sims 3 (mind you I personally think it is because of more efficient coding)

Well here's to hoping that my computer will be able to run it because this is one of the games I'm excited about.

Lag, ever anymore

If you can't find a way to make it go fast, then scale your ideas down. With the way computers are and have been for a while now (the Xbox 360 game out in around 2006, I believe) there is no reason for a decent-looking game to not run butter-smooth.

There are reasons why it wouldn't run as smooth as butter. Not everyone has their machine all up to par with the latest technologies. Other people have problems with their machines not being optimized or running too many processes at once.

Then again you're referring to the XBOX 360, which has none of these problems because it's a console - a casual gaming machine - and as a result the only things you've got to worry about are your own internet connection not being up to par as well as the damn thing overheating or getting stolen or smashed by some idiot.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: September 15, 2013, 02:00:53 am »

Then again you're referring to the XBOX 360, which has none of these problems because it's a console - a casual gaming machine
*a-hem*
a casual dedicated gaming machine.

A casual gaming machine is your run-off-the-mill smartphone (or even normal cellphone), because games are a fun extra, not something smartphones are all about (no matter what some people say).

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #798 on: September 15, 2013, 02:09:58 am »

Then again you're referring to the XBOX 360, which has none of these problems because it's a console - a casual gaming machine
*a-hem*

A casual gaming machine is your run-off-the-mill smartphone (or even normal cellphone), because games are a fun extra, not something smartphones are all about (no matter what some people say).
Let's just not even go there.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: September 15, 2013, 02:16:04 am »

*a-hem*

I was referring to games and systems in general, I just used the 360 as an example since it more or less marks the beginning of the current (soon to be previous, actually) generation of hardware.

PC games typically have graphics options that allow some amount of compensation for varying builds, but there have been games in the past that positively chugged on then-high end computers. There are also console games that have a tendency to slow down, such as Perfect Dark, MGS2 (especially since nearly every cutscene seems to have motion blur even when it doesn't make sense), Sonic '06 and others.

Games that have noticeable lag issues generally suffer from poor programming (i.e. they were bad games in the first place) rather than mind-blowing graphics (see Daikatana), but games should never sacrifice performance for graphics. Nothing is more irritating than suddenly going into slow-motion like it's The Matrix.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 02:18:17 am by itisnotlogical »
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: September 15, 2013, 02:36:12 am »

*a-hem*

I was referring to games and systems in general, I just used the 360 as an example since it more or less marks the beginning of the current (soon to be previous, actually) generation of hardware.

PC games typically have graphics options that allow some amount of compensation for varying builds, but there have been games in the past that positively chugged on then-high end computers. There are also console games that have a tendency to slow down, such as Perfect Dark, MGS2 (especially since nearly every cutscene seems to have motion blur even when it doesn't make sense), Sonic '06 and others.

Games that have noticeable lag issues generally suffer from poor programming (i.e. they were bad games in the first place) rather than mind-blowing graphics (see Daikatana), but games should never sacrifice performance for graphics. Nothing is more irritating than suddenly going into slow-motion like it's The Matrix.

I misunderstood then. My utmost apologies regarding this misunderstanding. I haven't gotten any sleep yet and I'm kind of annoyed by my neighbor upstairs and whatever she is doing on her couch in the middle of the night that is making a creaking sound.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: September 15, 2013, 02:37:34 am »

Super Easy Peasy Games

Yeah... I like games with a bit of bite. While there is nothing wrong with really easy games... They just tic me off and bore me to death. I once bought a game (Anacronox if you must know) and the advice for the game was to immediately put the game up to the highest difficulty setting... and the game was still breezily easy.

The BEST game I cannot stand because of this is the scribblenaut series. I like the infinite power but I dislike how easy everything is because of it. I feel like I am an all powerful sorcerer who's only competition are some ants.

Difficulty = Time

There was this game I played called Stranded 2 it was a nice game albeit a bit too time wasting for my taste and oddly enough it is one of those games that actually get worse the more difficult it is. Everything slowed down to a slog because of how excessively careful you had to be and in the end it actually killed the enjoyment because it only made the game longer, not more fun.

There is this strong idea that games are "tougher" if they simply take more time and frankly I couldn't disagree more. I understand that time is a factor in difficulty after all making you do a series of actions with some accuracy can get tougher the more time you add. Yet when it seems like the only factor involved IS how long it takes, you are doing it wrong!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #802 on: September 15, 2013, 04:52:11 pm »

Elevators
They're always broken or breaking as soon as you step foot in one. Or they're everywhere as a substitute for loading screens. Games that try to take advantage of elevators to create an challenging (for action games) or tension-building (for horror) moment always fail. I've never played a good elevator sequence.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: September 15, 2013, 05:02:58 pm »

Elevators
They're always broken or breaking as soon as you step foot in one. Or they're everywhere as a substitute for loading screens. Games that try to take advantage of elevators to create an challenging (for action games) or tension-building (for horror) moment always fail. I've never played a good elevator sequence.

I thought the elevator moment in MGS was pretty neat. And one time, I died in Perfect Dark because a guard happened to toss a grenade in right as the door was closing, leaving me trapped with it.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: September 15, 2013, 05:07:34 pm »

Elevators
HL2: Ep1
The elevator was mostly just there to walk you through some of the basic mechanics of the citadel section (throwing around energy pellets, lifting heavy objects, being annoyed at Stalkers).
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: September 15, 2013, 05:29:36 pm »

Big worlds that are completely empty of people.

This is probably my biggest problem with FEZ (and it's a pretty small problem, so I guess that shows how happy I am with this game). There are exactly two areas with people in them. The vast majority of the world is artificially made, with bricks and pipes and signs and houses, but the only inhabitants are little animals.

I guess it's supposed to make the world feel free and peaceful, but it just seems a little off to me. Honestly, I'm finding it a little difficult to say exactly why I don't like it. Emptiness just unnerves me a bit, I guess.

But is it so hard to put a few NPCs around where it would make sense for them to be? They don't even need to say anything. Past the first five minutes of the game, there's no reason to talk to a single one of the NPCs because they either don't speak your language or just say useless stuff (knowing this game, there's probably some big puzzle I'm missing involving the dialogue), but they still make the areas they inhabit feel more lively.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: September 15, 2013, 06:08:42 pm »

Oh wow I hate emptiness. I really feel uncomfortable playing a game without there being some other NPC or something there. I don't care if they hate me and are antagonistic, games always feel a mix of terrifying and dull without a character there to... I don't really know what to do. Just be a character.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: September 15, 2013, 06:26:00 pm »

Fixed Cameras
3D third-person games where you have no control over the camera what so ever. There's not much else to say about this.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: September 15, 2013, 06:27:08 pm »

Oh wow I hate emptiness. I really feel uncomfortable playing a game without there being some other NPC or something there. I don't care if they hate me and are antagonistic, games always feel a mix of terrifying and dull without a character there to... I don't really know what to do. Just be a character.
Garry's Mod always made me unsettled for that very reason. Even in the places where there should be, by all reasons, people... There just isn't. It's also why I haaaate Gmod maps with scary secrets. I don't mind the idea of having something scary happen if you explore enough as long as there's an actual game around it, but the idea of just being alone except for something deeply malevolent somewhere in the level... Actually, that'd be a good game in and of itself. A seemingly normal city on a sunny day, unlike Silent Hill where it's obvious something went down and has depressing weather, except there is absolutely no-one around and if you dig deep, you can find unpleasing secrets...

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #809 on: September 15, 2013, 06:35:43 pm »

Fixed Cameras
3D third-person games where you have no control over the camera what so ever. There's not much else to say about this.
Silent Hill isn't so bad. Tank controls are ridiculous though.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 324